Footballer's Career Mistakes

Shomin Geki

I was just reading this report on Michu in The Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/14/michu-swansea-city-garry-monk

Oh Michu!  Injuries have of course played their part but what a waste!  A so-so player utterly transforms his career after signing for Swansea City and goes and completely screws it up.  And now he is effectively back where he started.  Icarus would be proud.  Now with much talk about the curse of signing for Manchester City I was wondering what you fine people consider the very worst career decision any footballer has made?

The interesting thing about michu was the relationship he had with Danny graham, both of them had an understanding that graham would drop, michu would play off him or run past him and score, incredibly hard to pick up

The year after they went for bony who is more of an out and out striker and didn't make the same movement for him so he got picked up more, and he had the injuries and second season syndrome it just didn't work for him

Danny graham of course went to Sunderland (?) and was shite too, almost like Johnson and dann, brilliant together but 2 incredibly average players once they've split

Edited by villa4europe

Keane to Liverpool and inter

the Liverpool one was Rafa being a stubborn clown. Think Keane got bought by Parry so Benitez played him on the bench then he got a wonder goal against Arsenal and think got a hat-trick in the next game.

then Benitez dropped him and sold him  :crylaugh:

Most Swedish players going from our league to any of the big five leagues. Have to be a special talent to make that step and even the biggest talent we have had went through Holland.

Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair joining Man City.

Put their promising careers back years

Neither were anywhere near good enough for that standard so I bet either couldn't believe their luck at the salary.

Sinclair would've been a better fit for an Everton or Newcastle when he left Swansea, he wasn't even as good as Adam Johnson who did well at times at City.

And Rodwell has to be the most overhyped English player of last decade, even more than Wilshere. Never seen what all the fuss is about.

I'd actually go for Andy Carroll joining Liverpool. O.k the fee was never going to be turned down but it was just a bad fit and the bloke could've been a Shearer type legend if he'd stayed at Newcastle for a bit longer.

Shaun Wright Phillips - any of his transfers

I think that first move from man city to Chelsea did in him tbh, he was the best winger in the league then he goes to Chelsea and doesn't play. Totally **** his career up but still he got a big cheque for not playing.

I still look back on Stewart "ill stay even if we get relegated" downing's decision to pledge his future to us and then **** off when Liverpool turned up, that move turned into a disaster for him, then onto west ham who are now trying to get shot of him, he was in the England squad under us, has only featured once since leaving. The prick.

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 2

Â