Footballer's Career Mistakes

Shomin Geki

Scott Parker is certainly one. He was looking brilliant for Charlton as an emerging box to box midfielder and Chelsea halted his progress for a good two years. Reinvented himself as a holding midfielder late on in his career which got him England caps and a move to Spurs but it could've been a little bit better I think.

• Like 1

Luque to Newcastle, was awesome at Depor.

Jeffers to Arsenal, was a well regarded prospect at Everton

Denilson to Betis. Huge prospect, massive transfer fee at the time, looked amazing when he played at France 98, basically went to shit at Betis.

Keirrison to Barca. Apparently was an amazing prospect in Brazil and was snapped up by Barca for a lot of money, where is he now?

I think Owen to Utd was him knowing he was finished and he coast a couple of years

I reckon if he had gone somewhere else he would've been able to play regularly and build up fitness, he probably could have played a few more times for England and broken the scoring record. He was never going to be a starter at utd and so threw away chance of playing, to "win" a few trophies.

I think Owen to Utd was him knowing he was finished and he coast a couple of years

I reckon if he had gone somewhere else he would've been able to play regularly and build up fitness, he probably could have played a few more times for England and broken the scoring record. He was never going to be a starter at utd and so threw away chance of playing, to "win" a few trophies.

Nah Capello had stopped picking him by then (last call up in March 2008 when he was still at Newcastle) so similar to Lambert and Bent.

Owen just lost his motivation for Football really when you consider how often he was stopped at the races when he was still a player. Infact didn't Fergie bump into him at Cheltenham or something and get him to sign?

Kerrison to barca is a good shout, they've had a couple over the years, think they sign them, can only register 4 non EU players a year so don't give them a sniff, got a Brazilian Right back there as back up to alves who I've never seen kick a ball for them, they bought chygrinski (?) for £26m and sold him back after a year, someone already mentioned hleb, affelay, caceres, Henrique, ezquerro

Edited by villa4europe

Jeffers to Arsenal, was a well regarded prospect at Everton

Was more than well regarded. His move to Arsenal came with a £10m price tag.

Everton's academy have produced some heavy-hitting transfers to be fair. Jeffers, Rooney, Rodwell, Dunne and probably Barkley one day. When you think of their next door neighbours too, makes you wonder where our products are.

Nah Capello had stopped picking him by then (last call up in March 2008 when he was still at Newcastle) so similar to Lambert and Bent.

Owen just lost his motivation for Football really when you consider how often he was stopped at the races when he was still a player. Infact didn't Fergie bump into him at Cheltenham or something and get him to sign?

I thought it was a good move by Owen, got his league title and I did think he would feature a bit more.

Don't think he could have 'built up his fitness' by playing regularily.

At this point, I think we all knew his body was shot to bits. Uncapable of playing weekly.

Henri Saivet? Not really made any bad career choices that I know of but at the time him and Eden Hazard were both considered Ligue 1's brightest young talents.

Hazard is obviously now at Chelsea, Saivet is still at Bordeaux.

Henrik Larsson and Brian Laudrup - the fact they both stayed in the Football graveyard in the north for so long, a waste of talent and could have won so much more other than a few northern titles.

Edited by kwoktolai
  • Like 1

Henrik Larsson and Brian Laudrup - the fact they both stayed in the Football graveyard in the north for so long, a waste of talent and could have won so much more other than a few northern titles.

Henrik Larsson is an absolute God, Isn't that worth more than a few more medals in the loft?

Edited by rodders0223

Henrik Larsson is an absolute God, Isn't that worth more than a few more medals in the loft?

Fair point, is back to the thinking whether he wanted to be a very big fish in a small pond or big fish in bigger pond. Perhaps he liked the weather there too. But IMO he could have done so much for for himself and who knows he could have became legends in more than one club

Â