Curved TV vs Flat TV

ender4

I'm guessing 3D TV yet again failed to take off, so they needed a new gimmick.

If anything, surely a concave screen will reduce down the sweet spot viewing angle, similar to how the old tech convex tubes used to. Fine if you are sat on your own in your one chair. A bit shit if there are a few of you present.

I'm guessing 3D TV yet again failed to take off, so they needed a new gimmick.

If anything, surely a concave screen will reduce down the sweet spot viewing angle, similar to how the old tech convex tubes used to. Fine if you are sat on your own in your one chair. A bit shit if there are a few of you present.

Should i not bother with 3D either?  Has that pretty much died a death, or is it still increasing in popularity?

For telly it's pretty much died the death.

BBC's last 3D production was the Doctor Who Christmas special in 2013.

ESPN walked away around the same time.

Sky's service has gone on demand.

If you're getting it it'll be for films.

Depends how long you expect to have this TV for. There's not much in the way of 4k output for you to watch at the moment. I had a similar quandary a while ago and decided to go for a much cheaper model that wasn't 4k. The screen I got was still a huge leap in quality from what I had previously.

I don't think there will be enough 4k content to think you are missing out on anything for about five years. I bought a new TV a month ago, 1080p was fine.

Curved screens are a gimmick to show off an element on the new levels of LCD tech (that they can bend). Theres some talk that it's possible to have an immersive benefit but in the unlikely event thats true, it would need to be a huge screen and you'd need to sat in exactly the right spot. Go for a good quality screen over curve every time. The curve also has the practical problem of, if you are going to hang it on the wall, it'll look stupid.

3d is a coin toss. As said earlier theres no significant TV content for 3d. Its become the preserve of movies, and to a lesser extent games. It remains a gimmick, certainly, but it isn't as bad as it once was. Still has the same problems it's always had though - depending on the technology utilised it can effect picture quality, if the source does the effect badly it can make things hard to follow, and can be actively anti-immersive. When it works, it can be quite impressive. If you're a big movie fan and you like 3d, it's worth going for it. If not, pump the extra money saved into screen size or picture quality.

4k is an utter waste of time at the moment. There simply isn't any content as The_Rev says. BT are offering 4k sports this year, apparently, beyond that you start to run out of reasons to bother. By the time the technology is widespread your TV will be comparatively ancient. It also has a grater affect depending on how big the screen is and how far from you're sitting. If you set miles away from a 40inch screen, 4k or not you're not going to see the difference. If you sit 6 inches from something that could replace the walls in your house you'll enjoy the benefit - if you can find the content.

In short - don't bother with curved screens, 3d is personal preference (theres a chance you'll just end up with a 3d set regardless), and 4k is a fools game for a the foreseeable unless you've money to burn.

• Like 1

my brother in law has put his curve tv on the wall and it looks ridiculous. it really is a gimmick

;like chindie said 4k is a waste of time hardly anything out in 4k. 1080p for me is clear enough. do you need it any clearer? its just a way of them getting more money out of you

I bought a 4k Panasonic Viera - 48" about two months ago for £899 brand new. Absolutely cracking tv. I also bought with it a Panasonic Blu-Ray 4k upscaler, and a pair of rather expensive HDMI cables, which where luckily 2 for 1, so that saved me another £80. Once I worked out how to set up the upscaler and what HDMI port to use it in on the telly, I was rocking 4k (upscaled not native) content. You can tell the difference, watched Heat in 4k the other night and it looked absolutely stunning, lot's of details that just seemed to blend into the background all of a sudden are now crystal clear and I personally feel that if you've got spare money to burn and fany giving it a whirl, go for it. I went through PC World and the sales assistant, just by looking for deals for me ended up saving me somewhere in the region of £150 overall bless her. I will say my previous tv was a 42" 1080p Hitachi bought from Argos 3 years ago for £349 so there's going to be a rise in quality anyway.

So to sum up, although 4k won't be fully realised for a while yet, you can get it in your grasp and upscale to it, and you can notice the difference. If you've got spare cash, go for it.

Is there a room size to TV size ratio?

I've got a 36" TV in what I think is a fairly average room, less than 5 metres deep. I sit in the diagonally opposite corner to the TV and that size is fine. But every time I go in tech shops now, it's like my 'under 40 inch' TV is considered ok as a portable or for a dedicated PC screen.

Everything has been supersized because the tech exists to allow it. But is it actually a good thing?

Surely it can't be doing you any good sat in an average sized room watching a TV that's 50% of the wall area?

Looks to me like the world is filling up with shitty little one bedroom flats made out of ticky tacky because nobody has a permanent partner and nobody can afford a mortgage. Then, in the heart of the shoe box, a TV the size of a feature wall. With enough surround sound volume and bass bars and tweeters to hopefully drown out the giant TV in the shitty little flat next door.

I give this opinion following yesterday's site visit where lots of neighbours were complaining about lots of other neighbours noise. The facts were, they all had kit that wouldn't have been available to club DJ's a few years ago, whilst living in a block of 6 flats the size of one proper house. 

I might just be grumpy.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, why get expensive HDMI cables?

Yes, it's to do with the capacity of the cable and the speed of the data transfer. The ones I have transmit up to 27 GBps - Ideal for 4k. The picture quality will always be the same, the cable capacity I believe dictates the frame rate available, so for the 4k Upscaler and the PS4 I went for the 2 for 1 on the premium cables, and then for the Sky box it doesn't really matter, Sky only supports upto 1080i anyway so there would be no benefit from having a top notch cable for that.

Â