The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

He did completely the right thing there IMO.

Anyone who dislikes that purely does so as they dislike him.

He did completely the wrong thing there IMO.

Anyone who supports that purely does so because they're a Starmer fanboy.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He did completely the right thing there IMO.

Anyone who dislikes that purely does so as they dislike him.

Nah. If Jeremy Corbyn did that I'd be surprised because it wouldn't be like him but I'd be thinking he's a complete arsehole for not even acknowledging she existed. It's the ultimate in bad manners.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He did completely the wrong thing there IMO.

Anyone who supports that purely does so because they're a Starmer fanboy.

I neither like or dislike Starmer.  I don't particularly pay attention to Labour as a party.  I get the impression you dislike him, though, so maybe there's something in my comment... ;) 

If Dean Smith was walking to BMH or something and some idiot with a camera came up saying "Hi Dean, I'm an Aston Villa season ticket holder and a member of the "we need a defensive midfielder" club.  I'm just wondering if you are going to commit to getting rid of John McGinn and bringing in the proper defensive midfielder we need? Mr Smith, I'm an Aston Villa season ticket holder.  Will you commit to spending money on a proper defensive midfielder to push us up the table? Mr Smith... Mr Smith?" and he ignored them, it would be the right thing to do.

And Dean Smith is a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot, lot less likely to get stick from the media for saying literally anything at all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If Dean Smith was walking to BMH or something and some idiot with a camera came up saying "Hi Dean, I'm an Aston Villa season ticket holder and a member of the "we need a defensive midfielder" club.  I'm just wondering if you are going to commit to getting rid of John McGinn and bringing in the proper defensive midfielder we need? Mr Smith, I'm an Aston Villa season ticket holder.  Will you commit to spending money on a proper defensive midfielder to push us up the table? Mr Smith... Mr Smith?" and he ignored them, it would be the right thing to do.

And Dean Smith is a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot, lot less likely to get stick from the media for saying literally anything at all.

We may have to agree to disagree here, but I like the anology. If Dean Smith refused to discuss it and said to them "Sorry, I can't discuss that right now, but nice to meet you", I'd think "Well of course he can't, but he handled that well". If Smith stared straight ahead, and pretended not to hear them like a **** psychopath, I'd think he was a bit of a nob as well.

I don't think anyojne thinks Starmer owes an actual policy discussion to some stranger that's approached him with a camera in tow, it's just a distinctily inelegent way of handling it that makes him look aloof, disinterested and like he doesn't answer to the public. The end result would have been the same, not comitting to or divulging any new policy information, but he could have come away from it without looking like a prick if he'd shown just a little bit of willingness to say hello and smile through it instead of marching off into the distance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

We may have to agree to disagree here, but I like the anology. If Dean Smith refused to discuss it and said to them "Sorry, I can't discuss that right now, but nice to meet you", I'd think "Well of course he can't, but he handled that well". If Smith stared straight ahead, and pretended not to hear them like a **** psychopath, I'd think he was a bit of a nob as well.

I don't think anyojne thinks Starmer owes an actual policy discussion to some stranger that's approached him with a camera in tow, it's just a distinctily inelegent way of handling it that makes him look aloof, disinterested and like he doesn't answer to the public. The end result would have been the same, not comitting to or divulging any new policy information, but he could have come away from it without looking like a prick if he'd shown just a little bit of willingness to say hello and smile through it instead of marching off into the distance.

FWIW, I think Deano probably would say something but that's because he's too much of an absolute hero rather than being too rude if he said nothing at all.

I also like that I've just given Deano's response to an entirely hypothetically situation that I just made up :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, I think Deano probably would say something but that's because he's too much of an absolute hero rather than being too rude if he said nothing at all.

I actually think the same, I've never seen him in that position but I don't doubt he'd handle it brilliantly. So it's settled, Deano for PM. Think he can do it part time around his Villa commitments? 

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Trade Unions block Labour campaigning for PR, despite members backing it 80/20

Just remember that.

My union abstained till we can take it to our own conference to debate if our members want us to back it. I argued for it, and made the point Labour would need an SNP coalition in goverment if they're going to win FPTP. 

On a side note, GMB and Unison have manoeuvred massively in the build up to and over conference. Pissed a lot of the other unions off. 

Think Bakers Union is probably gone, after losing its seat on the NEC. 

Dispatches from Labour Party Conference - Day 4

I'm a bit spangled as it was the union party night. Report will be short, and maybe tacked onto tomorrow.

Had a great chat with former Ohio State Senator, Nina Turner. 

Palestine motion passed. 

I wish I was a little bit Welsh after watching Mark Drakeford's speech. If anyone asks me what I want from the Labour Party, I'll point to him. 

Goosed. 

• Like 1

Ok - how are Starmer's Labour going to react to today's news that a rail company has been stripped of its franchise due to hiding £25mill of taxpayer off its books? Does it

A) Agree with the governments course of action

B - call for nationalisation of rail

C) Try to avoid commenting for fear of ruffling any feathers or fear of agreeing with left leaning thought

18 hours ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, I think Deano probably would say something but that's because he's too much of an absolute hero rather than being too rude if he said nothing at all

Nonsense, he's a Great Barr boy, he'd knock you out. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like the starting pistol for the left's new front against the leadership has been well and truly fired. £15 minimum wage the demand, a battle for control of Unison and no doubt quite a few young noisy activists who will go full on XR to get attention. What a quagmire.

• Like 1

Â