The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

I've tried to link it, but trying to copy and paste the body of the article is a massive pain using my phone, and I don't want to get a slap on the wrist for a guideline breach. Take my word for it though, seek our Mark Steel's piece in The Independent from today (11th Feb) Read it, then think of me saying, "this". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Nah, I don’t see it like that. The tories have picked up in the polls because vaccination is going well. That’s all.

According to today's MORI polls, the Tories haven't picked up in the polls - they've stayed as they were, Labour have dropped a percent and the Greens have gained one.

For me that Greens point will most likely be Labour voters migrating - it's quite possible though that the Tories have hung on to voters off the back off vaccination goodwill so we haven't seen any movement from the 'soft' Tories that Starmer appears to be flirting with.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

According to today's MORI polls, the Tories haven't picked up in the polls - they've stayed as they were, Labour have dropped a percent and the Greens have gained one.

For me that Greens point will most likely be Labour voters migrating - it's quite possible though that the Tories have hung on to voters off the back off vaccination goodwill so we haven't seen any movement from the 'soft' Tories that Starmer appears to be flirting with.

Here’s the over view of all polling (smoothed) taken from https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/united-kingdom/

EAEFEBD7-26C2-4635-B485-3C9460028961.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I find the one going back to 2014 quite interesting

image.thumb.png.3eebe15bcbc6f1a20845d10f985c9bca.png

I reckon Labour should take some lessons from whoever was in charge in 2017-2018

But definitely not from the guy who was in charge in 2019?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I reckon Labour should take some lessons from whoever was in charge in 2017-2018

They should. That short, sharp rise during an election campaign (albeit against an inept opponent) came about because of several things. Good campaigning, media attention, a decent set of policies overall, and the kind of buzz that was generated by and from Corbyn.

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It’s interesting that in both 2017 and 2019 labour got a sharp jump in polling in the run up to the respective general elections. When the wider public gets to hear them and see them. If they can do that from a stronger starting level, they win. Now, if only they could find someone who could get their level up steadily, to be much closer to the tories before an election....(yes, I know, 2015...)

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me that Greens point will most likely be Labour voters migrating(...)

Am I missing something here? A one point poll swing is nothing. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

The polls are pretty meaningless. The ones that showed a five point Labour lead don't mean they will win. The ones showing a five point scum lead don't mean they won't.

Milliband had a 12 point lead in the polls in 2013 for all the good it did at the subsequent election. 

That's not to say that there aren't some pretty fundamental questions the current leadership should be asking themselves. There definitely are.

But if they go back to having a three point lead again, that also doesn't mean everything is hunky-dory either. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Exactly, I'll expand below..

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s interesting that in both 2017 and 2019 labour got a sharp jump in polling in the run up to the respective general elections. When the wider public gets to hear them and see them. If they can do that from a stronger starting level, they win. Now, if only they could find someone who could get their level up steadily, to be much closer to the tories before an election....(yes, I know, 2015...)

Looking at that graph it's difficult to see anything other than 2019 being a brexit election with Labour avoiding the 2nd referendum trap in 2017 and falling into it in 2019. In 2017 it split into a straight 2 party battle. In 2019 it split into 5: Tories and Brexit Party battling for the leave vote, Labour, Lib Dems and Green battling for the remain vote. When Farage stood the Brexit Party down, all of that vote went to Tories. Lib Dems, Labour and Green split the remain vote 3 ways.

1 minute ago, Michelsen said:

The most recent polls aren't shown in that graph. There's a definite move from the Labour left towards Green. They're at 8% in most polls now and above Lib Dems. All it'll take is someone from the Green Party to say something positive about Corbyn and a few hundred thousand excitable activists will join the party and push the vote up.

In fact, if Green were clever, they could use this to force proportional representation through. Invite anyone disaffected from Labour to join, drain Labour of members and vote which will leave Labour with no choice but to do a PR deal with Green and LD to have any power after the next election.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, darrenm said:

In fact, if Green were clever, they could use this to force proportional representation through. Invite anyone disaffected from Labour to join, drain Labour of members and vote which will leave Labour with no choice but to do a PR deal with Green and LD to have any power after the next election.

Sounds good to me. Also sounds like something Labour should be doing whether the Greens siphon off a load of their support or not. It's not like they're getting a majority, whichever leader they have. 

• Like 2

In fact, this is laughably stark

2017:

image.png.4b7eb12bd7429ea07883828a16feb150.png 

The Tories went down while Labour gained from everyone. This was when Labour was backing brexit, albeit a softer one than the Tories.

2019:

image.png.eeb1b9e20bd54b18f6eafa0185a38be5.png 

Labour supporting a 2nd referendum this time couldn't take anything off the Tories, instead they had to rely on gaining from the Lib Dems, which they did. But the funny part is that if you snipped the jade line and turned it upside down, it would fit almost exactly over the Tory increase. The same with the orange line; turn it upside down and it matches Labour's increase. Actually, I've done it:

image.png.c98aa7a824ff7af3b02b554d205d3b22.png

Now that Starmer isn't getting the party polling any higher than Corbyn, I think we can put to bed the notion that the leader being unpopular hindered Labour. The 2019 GE was a defacto 2nd referendum and leave won because remain couldn't get their act together. Fancy that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Now that Starmer isn't getting the party polling any higher than Corbyn

There's another interpretation of your (longer) post.

In the period of the larger graph, there are 3 occasions where Labour gained vote share - both election campaigns, sharply during '17 & '20 and then consistently when Starmer took over from Catweazle (co-inciding with the Tories making a mess of the fungus plague).

To me it looks like the wider exposure they get during elections coupled with Corbyn's relatable campaigning style - it is one thing he's good at - led to the two sharp rises. Starmer has taken Labour back to where it historically meanders, from a very low point.

We can't know what the fallout from the ongoing pandemic clusterpork will be for the Tories - maybe Labour will benefit, maybe they won't. Maybe once it's over the negatives from Brexit will give the opposition a boost, maybe they won't. But Labour has got back to where it usually sits, and there's something there for Starmer and the LP to build on. The last "project" more than ran it's course and ended up with the Tories, yet again, in power and doing their damage. It'd be nice if they were the "enemy" not different parts of the LP or whoever. Starmer could do with being more strident in criticising the messes made by the Tories and once they get their conference thingy where they can come up with their policies, to start pushing them. At the moment, this kind of thing he's doing around trying to appeal to the northern voters who deserted Labour is not necessarily a bad thing, but it needs to be part of a wider picture, and Labour needs to decide what it wants to be.

• Like 2

Nothing to see here - just due process - definitely not kicking the thing into some ever growing grass.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/12/forde-inquiry-delay-suggests-labour-not-serious-on-racism-black-mps-say

Detractors say it is unclear why Forde has waited until now, 10 months after the information commissioner was informed of the data breach and seven months after the report was initially due to be delivered, to warn of the risk of prejudicing the external investigation.

Â