The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

52 minutes ago, hippo said:

It was allowed a few years back. they voted to remain. You can't keep re running it until you get the answer you like.

Was that the one where the tories said they could only stay in the EU if they voted to remain in the union?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

_77684047_77684045.jpg

See above.

Also, I’m not predicting a result, I’m suggesting they’re allowed a referendum.

You could even argue the smart money would give them a referendum within the next 12 months.

On 13/01/2020 at 17:55, chrisp65 said:

Was that the one where the tories said they could only stay in the EU if they voted to remain in the union?

Their election literature also seemed pretty certain that a strong SNP showing was a mandate for a new referendum.

EORH7bGWsAEfWag?format=jpg&name=large

If the issue was sorted six years ago, why were they saying last month that a vote for the SNP would mean a new referendum?

• Like 1

It’s almost as though tories are compulsive liars. 

Tens of thousands (est between 70 to 100k) marched through Glasgow 2 days ago for a referendum. Did you see all the press coverage it got? Then today, a BBC commentator said there’s simply no demand for another referendum at this point.

Simply no demand.

image.jpg

Edited by chrisp65

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s almost as though tories are compulsive liars. 

Tens of thousands (est between 70 to 100k) marched through Glasgow 2 days ago for a referendum. Did you see all the press coverage it got? Then today, a BBC commentator said there’s simply no demand for another referendum at this point.

Simply no demand.

image.jpg

thats 100,000 if you take the somewhat generous estimate out of a population of 5.5 million ... there’s higher demand than that for the Bay City Rollers to reform 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

thats 100,000 if you take the somewhat generous estimate out of a population of 5.5 million ... there’s higher demand than that for the Bay City Rollers to reform 

I don’t think it was literally everybody that wanted a referendum. But in the interest of balance, there was a counter demonstration, which by some logic, suggests there are 68 people out of a population of 5.5 million that want to stay British. 

EOA2FdzWoAIe0Cr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EOA2Fd2X4AInbkm?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think wanting to leave because you value a union with Europe more than with the UK is a bit daft.  Surely the former wouldn't come close to making up for the financial impact of the latter.

If only there were some recent examples of similar situations we could look to for reference...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think wanting to leave because you value a union with Europe more than with the UK is a bit daft.  Surely the former wouldn't come close to making up for the financial impact of the latter.

Not sure if serious

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

So I suppose by that reckoning Villa only have a maximum number of 42,000 fans at any one time?

I mean, if you can only count the ones that are present right?

48 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So I suppose by that reckoning Villa only have a maximum number of 42,000 fans at any one time?

I mean, if you can only count the ones that are present right?

Well it is like taking a photograph of Villa park on a match day and then claiming that the picture shows which team the majority of football fans support. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:
Looks like it may have been premature to put Starmer as a prohibitive favourite. New poll has Long-Bailey leading him 51-49 in the final two after second preferences are counted, with a third of members yet to decide.

Was she the one on the momentum ballot for endorsement with no other candidates ?

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Looks like it may have been premature to put Starmer as a prohibitive favourite. New poll has Long-Bailey leading him 51-49 in the final two after second preferences are counted, with a third of members yet to decide.

It wasn't premature to put him as favourite. The data at the time pointed to that outcome, so he was. If the data moves to indicate an increase of support for Long-Bailey then she'll be considered the favourite. If it changes again then someone else will be. 

I don't think either the early YouGov poll or this Survation one are going to look anything like the final numbers, but I'd speculate that a poll of people taken from the subscriber database of Labourlist.org (while undoubtedly not a small number), is not automatically going to tally with the whole membership. 

31 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It wasn't premature to put him as favourite. The data at the time pointed to that outcome, so he was. If the data moves to indicate an increase of support for Long-Bailey then she'll be considered the favourite. If it changes again then someone else will be. 

I don't think either the early YouGov poll or this Survation one are going to look anything like the final numbers, but I'd speculate that a poll of people taken from the subscriber database of Labourlist.org (while undoubtedly not a small number), is not automatically going to tally with the whole membership. 

Yeah, I hadn't spotted that this is only of Labour List members. Presumably they're significantly more engaged than the median voter, and presumably that benefits Starmer if anyone, but interesting nonetheless.

Â