The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I haven’t noticed any criticism of him pop up on my twitter.

There’s a lot of dislike for JP and RLB, I’ve seen Thornberry get some crit. But I haven’t noticed it for Starmer. Interestingly, he was sort of quiet / sidelined during the election, making the occasional sensible intervention but not exactly wall to wall coverage. Which probably works very much in his favour.

He's shadow Brexit Secretary, and of course the party spent the whole election trying to change the topic away from Brexit as much as possible, so he wasn't called on as much as might be expected. He also stayed loyal, and didn't spend the election giving disparaging or eye-rolling interviews or comments to the media. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not gonna happen, and not wise anyway, IMO - at least not for a decade or more. The argument you identify, in the later post is right - but it's more about (once the clusterpork effects start biting), having been ahead of the game in terms of being as close as possible, without being in. The idea of any party proposing "let's pay them billions a year, maybe adopt the Euro, open the borders to free movement, let them determine rules we set for ourselves, now" is just not going to fly, plus I doubt anyone will want a re-run of the last 3 years. You've also got to consider whether the EU nations would want to let us back in, given the trouble we've caused. Non-starter IMO.

I kind of agree with the time frame but I'm also of the opinion that Labour isn't getting elected in that time frame, so they really should just get ahead of it now for full told you so points

My local red robot MP is up in arms about this article and particularly the description of RLB. He's even retweeted it with a comment. I think someone needs to explain to him how twitter works and how his need to show his outrage is actually promoting the article he disagrees with so vehemently. I wouldn't expect him to vote for RLB in the initial ballot, I suspect he's just hedging his bets

I remember when Allison Pearson claimed during the election that she was going to present evidence that the photo of the boy on the hospital floor was faked or staged or something in her Wednesday column, and then Wednesday came around and she had some boring generic rubbish that didn't say anything about the photo. 

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That is a pretty scummy piece from the Telegraph, but then it is a paper for nasty shitty bitter little people that have angry wanks over the criticism or misfortune of others.

Oh I agree but my MP thinks retweeting it with his faux outrage as a comment is a good thing to do. Proving that his actual intent is to boost himself rather than protest the article. The man's a complete gibbon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rodders said:

He seems the most capable candidate in terms of appealing to a broad spectrum of members. I'd be happy with him. 

Struggling to think who was the last leader of a major party who excelled in their professional field, then moved into politics on the back of what they had achieved in their career. 

Rather than just trod the same boards of university / job for 5-10 years / politics foreverafter.

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Apparently Unison are backing Starmer so that’s a pretty good and hefty 24 hours for KS.  

I stopped paying the political levy of my Union subs once Corbyn took over, so don't get a vote anymore, and I'm in Unite, not Unison, but anyway...Does it mean anything, because the members decide individually who they cast their votes for, not the Leadership. At least that's my recollection.

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

I stopped paying the political levy of my Union subs once Corbyn took over, so don't get a vote anymore, and I'm in Unite, not Unison, but anyway...Does it mean anything, because the members decide individually who they cast their votes for, not the Leadership. At least that's my recollection.

Well it’s got to be better for him than them ‘backing’ someone else or saying he stinks.

I think it just adds to the momentum, no pun intended or achieved.

35 minutes ago, blandy said:

Don't the leadership come out and say something like " we suggest that you vote for candidate x"?

That doofus McCluskey has said that Unite aren't backing anyone until their committee has met later in the month, at which the candidates are welcome to make their case.

So presumably they'll take a position on the subject at some point...

Edited by ml1dch

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well it’s got to be better for him than them ‘backing’ someone else or saying he stinks.

I think it just adds to the momentum, no pun intended or achieved.

Yeah, possibly. I can only speak personally but who Len McLuskey or whoever "recommended" I voted for made not the slightest difference. I suspect that's the same for most Union members and for that matter local party members. But yeah, it's nice for him I suppose and he seems a capable sort and probably the one of the best 2 options to be leader.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Don't the leadership come out and say something like " we suggest that you vote for candidate x"?

That doofus McCluskey has said that Unite aren't backing anyone until their committee has met later in the month, at which the candidates are welcome to make their case.

So presumably they'll back RBL at some point after their farce...

FTFY

2 hours ago, blandy said:

You'd need to pay the requisite £25 to get a vote as a supporter regardless, only full members of the party vote for free

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Apparently Unison are backing Starmer so that’s a pretty good and hefty 24 hours for KS.  

If one could bet on these kind of things, that's what I'd have put my money on. He's a UNISON fit. 

USDAW backed Owen Thingy in the last leadership election, so can see them backing Starmer. Think CWU will go RBL. 

I'm most interested to see who Unite back. I'm not sure if McCluskey will want to back RBL (not to say they won't), so I'm very quite intrigued to see who they go for. 

Â