The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

42 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

It's a shame, because their little party trick has done the country no favours.

I mean, yeah, it's all like @peterms says, a bit of a wet fart, but I don't see any harm to the country, and possibly (being optimistic) hey (and a number of others) don't "belong" in Corbyn's version of Labour, and while I don't think they'll carry many voters with them, our bolitics needs to better represent the bulk of the population, so if somehow the tories also fracture (yes please) we might eventually end up with a better set of parties - two or three extreme ends - UKIP/ ERG/ Normal tories/ Normal Labour / Corbyn Labour etc.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Supposedly she's been involved with another faction of potential splitters, not the seven jokers from this morning.

Hmmm, methinks that's the second wave, it was always rumoured to be 6 to start with then another 20 to 30 or so plus some potential Tories. Then entering into some sort of agreement with the LibDems

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Hmmm, methinks that's the second wave, it was always rumoured to be 6 to start with then another 20 to 30 or so plus some potential Tories. Then entering into some sort of agreement with the LibDems

God, imagine having to enter into an agreement with the Lib Dems!  🤮 

49 minutes ago, blandy said:

How much of what that twitter says is verifiable? it seems a nit odd to claim they've hidden donor identity...and then say the donor is a far right-ist? Registering a website in Panama (if true) means what?

It doesn't look good, but I'm sceptical that tweet is verifiably true.

It's on Twitter so it must be true

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Apparently not.

There was potentially a larger group, but they all bottled it when questions about the format, positions, image and direction of the group arised. There's another faction lead by former Blair advisors that are engaging with celebs and 'cool' figures, like Rowling.

Around 30 Labour MPs held talks about leaving the party and joining the new Independent Group in what would have been a far more damaging assault on Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership, but most decided against amid chaotic disagreements between the plotters over strategy, organisation and personalities, BuzzFeed News can reveal.

Senior Labour figures involved in the breakaway plot confirmed that the original plan, conceived at a series of meetings last year, was for several dozen MPs to quit in one go. Only seven went ahead with the plan on Monday.

The mass departures didn’t happen, they told BuzzFeed News, after a series of behind-the-scenes differences of opinion between rebel MPs, on everything from the overarching strategy of the movement to more specific questions like the need to fight by-elections and whether ex-Labour MPs who left the party amid sexual harassment allegations should be allowed to join them.

However, divisions within Labour are also mirrored in the Conservative party, and speculation is mounting that despite the chaos of its launch, the Independent Group could soon be joined by a number of Tories who are thinking about leaving the party over Brexit.

One source involved in the talks conceded that the Independent Group had “fallen short” of the numbers they originally hoped would join, pointing to a series of fundamental differences between key personnel. A second source insisted that today’s resignations were only the “first wave” and promised “there are more to come”.

The fundamental divide between the Labour splitters is over the new party that will emerge, the sources said. Several MPs including Chris Leslie and ringleader Chuka Umunna hope to be at the forefront of a new “centrist” party modelled on Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union and Emmanuel Macron’s En Marche.

The Leslie-Umunna faction is being challenged by a rival splinter group led by a number of former advisers to Tony Blair, including his former chief of staff Jonathan Powell and speechwriter Philip Collins, who have been holding meetings with the aim of forming their own party.

According to several sources familiar with the workings of the two groups, there have been clashes over personality and image. The Leslie-Umunna faction has alienated MPs because of the determination of its two figureheads to be the faces of the new party, a direction opposed by others thinking of quitting Labour, according to one source.

A second source said the Powell initiative, which has been linked to Countdown presenter Rachel Riley and Harry Potter author JK Rowling, has been ridiculed as “Cool Britannia 2019”, a reference to New Labour’s wooing of celebrities in the nineties.

A third source who has attended presentations by both factions said: “They are both a shitshow but Powell’s party is even more of a mess”.

BuzzFeed

There's more on the link, but it's effectively all a shitshow.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

How much of what that twitter says is verifiable? it seems a nit odd to claim they've hidden donor identity...and then say the donor is a far right-ist? Registering a website in Panama (if true) means what?

It doesn't look good, but I'm sceptical that tweet is verifiably true.

The first is evident, but can be changed over time.

The second is verifiable, and fixable.

The third is verifiable, and I understand has already been verified.

The fourth is verifiable but seems immaterial to me.

The fifth, I think you have misinterpreted.  I read it as endorsement eg by Katie Hopkins as I posted earlier, it doesn't say the donor is far right, you've read that in.

• Thanks 1

The bit about them being a Ltd Co. rather than a party is odd. Donations to anything other than a political party attract IHT, as Banks found out to his cost when he donated to Vote Leave.

• Thanks 1

I've thought about it and I think they should all call a by election, if that's what can happen. They might be denying it, but they've formed a new party and ran last time on a Labour ticket. They've little legitimacy in my opinion anyway, but they need to re-establish their mandate to represent their constituents. 

They won't, because they'd probably all lose, but I think they should.

But meh, to them to be honest. They've had their day in the sunshine today, tomorrow they'll be fish and chip wrapping. 

• Like 1

Â