Ratings and Reactions: Man City - Villa

limpid

Solid performance against the champions on their own patch, though marred by individual errors.

To put it in perspective, if on Feb 14th you'd predicted that Sherwood would have us pushing for goals, 11/2 (best price) for relegation with four games left, playing like we have a chance against anyone and be in an FA Cup final, you might have been accused of being a bit too optimistic.

We've played probably the best match of football at the Etihad in half a season.. Most teams go there and lose comfortably it is a fortress. We went there and not only bossed the game for large percentages but won the possession game and made the Champions look downright average at times. Yes we lost but that is football and that is why we love it, it's unpredictable and anything can happen. We should have had a penalty yes, but you could also argue that we'd have been 2-1 up at that point had Guzan not thought he was a Man City player for a moment.

We played well and that is now several games on the bounce where we have consistently been the better team on the pitch against teams like Tottenham, Liverpool and Man City, if we play like this in every upcoming match we will win them all.. Well played Villa, you've done good and it's been a while since I've been genuinely proud of my team. I support them through thick and thin and it has been shit for a long time, but they are showing heart, determination and at times mesmerising skill and it's a joy to watch. I would have liked all three points today, but the performance was good and that is all I can ask from this team. 

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 4

Just watched again courtesy of motd and I still can't believe Richardson and Bacuna's performance at the free kick. I am absolutely at a loss to work out what they were playing at.

Also, according to the post-match stats we had the most shots. So why was all of the footage of Man Shitty, BBC?

• Like 1

Fantastic performance by the lads. So proud that we went 2-0 down at Man City and still bossed the game & passed them off the pitch. Yet again undone by individual errors (Guzan needs to be dropped) and an incompetent Mike Dean and his officials who always manage to ensure we lose. Worst referee by a country mile, and that takes some doing. Well done, Mike.

Finally, a special mention to the absolute neanderthals in the Villa end today who were singing Newcastle's 'Adam Johnson song' before the game and throughout the first half. What on EARTH has a Sunderland player got to do with Aston Villa Football Club and our relegation battle!? And what happened to being innocent until proven guilty in this country!? Said fans should probably spend less time on YouTube and more time learning the great Villa songs of old so we no longer have to endure the likes of the Paul McGrath song etc. Absolute morons and a complete embarrassment.

UTV.

Oh and I do find it funny the number of Villa fans having a pop at the atmosphere today.

I can confidently say they outsung us all game, without question. That little corner to the right of our away section was singing fairly loudly for most of the game and what's more, they seem to come up with some original chants unlike our boring "where were you when you were shit?" and "you're the shit of Manchester" chants which are so bloody predictable it's untrue. Seeing as Villa Park is like a library 95% of the time and that we managed to fill just two thirds of the initial allocation today (6 days after taking 32,000+ to Wembley) I don't think we are really in a position to criticise anybody else's fans.

Anyone who disagrees with the above should try taking their claret & blue tinted specs off... 

• Like 1

You seem to have a real issue with our support. It wasn't great I agree, but as you said, 6 days after taking 32k to Wembley, maybe it was hard for some to get up for it?

Speaking for myself I did a 430 mile round trip (on my own) to be there today in the unexpected freezing cold only to find us 1-0 down after 3 minutes. My apologies if I disappointed you from there on out.

What original songs were they singing anyway? Don't get me wrong, I thought the few hundred proper City fans sat next to us were good value, but were their songs more or less original than Holte Enders in the Sky, for example?

You have some weird agenda here dude.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Having just seen their second goal, Bacuna you're an embarrassment and a disgrace. **** off

yeah fof to one of the best players on the pitch, Bacuna was brilliant today, the second goal if you gonna hand out blame to anyone was Richardson who opened the hole and then got even further out the way in case it hit him.

So I tell a few home truths and all of a sudden I have an agenda?? :rolleyes:

I go to every away game and when we're good, I'll say we're good. More often than not, we are. But, at the same time, many Villa fans seem to believe this bizarre notion that we somehow have the best away support in the league when we simply don't.

What did you think of the idiots singing the Adam Johnson song? You're quick to retort anything I dare to say about our support yet make absolutely no reference to my point about that. You were at the game like me, did you not find it completely bizarre and inappropriate?

In terms of the song selection - we do come across pretty thick sometimes. For example, singing "your support is f***ing shit" when we can't even come close ourselves to selling out the initial allocation!? We're just asking to be laughed at. And then when we sang "Where were you when you were shit?" (as we do every season) they usually come back with "we were here when we were shit" but yesterday they mixed it up a bit with "beating you when we were shit". Nothing award-winning and I think they're arrogant clearings in the woods but I do think it's rich us having a pop at their support when some of our own is so poor.

Villa are back.

Last season or most of this season that howler from Guzan would have been the first of 2 or 3 more in quick succession, with a couple more later on and perhaps a consolation goal from someone unexpected.

That was then.

Now, after a shaky couple of minutes we turned the game around and outplayed the champions for the vast majority of the game, under Lambert we would have tried to protect the 2-0 loss, under Sherwood the players have some belief and that showed in Bacuna,Cleverly,Grealish,Delph,Sanchez.. well all of them, even Richardson who was a liability still put in some good work, Benteke was offside too many times, the problem with that is later on when there’s a tight call... whos the linesman gonna go for, the guy who has been offside all day ?

Anyway the only reason that was not a goal was that Nzogbia held on too long to the ball, he should/could have put tekkers straight through... :(

I can only assume that anyone calling for Bacunas head probably only saw the highlights or needs the glasses more than the ref who on the whole was OK.

Calling for Guzans head cos he muffed a backpass he did not want (Vlaar gets some blame there as well) .. well its daft, I think he should have stopped the third goal but anyways, like I said, Sunderland 'fans' in here

Personally I think Bacuna should have stayed on and Grealish subbed instead since he was tiring towards the end and NZogbia showed a bit of his old self (not a good thing) looking to hold the ball (which he cant) and hanging on to the ball looking for a shot when he should be providing, I know he is desperate for a goal but its all about the team at the moment.

This was the current champions.. at home.... not sure what any of you were expecting TBH but excluding the Semi-Final and our first couple of games this was one of the best performances of the season to date, sh*te that we did not get a point but we go again with heads held high methinks

UTV

• Like 1

Robbed, gutted but proud.

They have spent stupid money putting that squad together but even with all our injuries we were the better team.

Our time will come, pay back next season when TS has been able to add a few of his own? Oh I hope so!

To put it in perspective, if on Feb 14th you'd predicted that Sherwood would have us pushing for goals, 11/2 (best price) for relegation with four games left, playing like we have a chance against anyone and be in an FA Cup final, you might have been accused of being a bit too optimistic.

You can get 9/1 on villa to be relegated.

I go to every away game and when we're good, I'll say we're good. More often than not, we are. But, at the same time, many Villa fans seem to believe this bizarre notion that we somehow have the best away support in the league when we simply don't.

What did you think of the idiots singing the Adam Johnson song? You're quick to retort anything I dare to say about our support yet make absolutely no reference to my point about that. You were at the game like me, did you not find it completely bizarre and inappropriate?

In terms of the song selection - we do come across pretty thick sometimes. For example, singing "your support is f***ing shit" when we can't even come close ourselves to selling out the initial allocation!? We're just asking to be laughed at. And then when we sang "Where were you when you were shit?" (as we do every season) they usually come back with "we were here when we were shit" but yesterday they mixed it up a bit with "beating you when we were shit". Nothing award-winning and I think they're arrogant clearings in the woods but I do think it's rich us having a pop at their support when some of our own is so poor.

I don't know where to start, really. I just found it genuinely odd that you dedicated two posts to complaining about our levels of support yesterday.

Manchester City were terrible regardless.

Just got beat by the better team is all. Held our own for long periods and can go into the final run of games with our heads up still. I fancy our chances in every one of our up coming games (including the final). Pressures on at the bottom though!

I don't know where to start, really. I just found it genuinely odd that you dedicated two posts to complaining about our levels of support yesterday.

You don't know where to start? Well how about answering my questions? That would be a great start.

If you read back again, my first post noted what a fantastic performance it was yesterday and went on to talk about some morons who seem to think singing about a player which has zero to do with Aston Villa Football Club is a great idea whilst we're in the midst of a relegation battle!? I heard it twice before the game and that was cringeworthy enough but for it to then be sung 5 or six times during the first half is, well, inherently stupid.

It was my second post which questioned our levels of support and that was borne off the back of reading several posts mocking Man City's support. As I said, pretty ironic.

On the pitch I agree, Manchester City were terrible. We were brilliant. Off it, they were nothing special but certainly nothing to mock either. They out sung us.

You don't know where to start? Well how about answering my questions? That would be a great start.

If you read back again, my first post noted what a fantastic performance it was yesterday and went on to talk about some morons who seem to think singing about a player which has zero to do with Aston Villa Football Club is a great idea whilst we're in the midst of a relegation battle!? I heard it twice before the game and that was cringeworthy enough but for it to then be sung 5 or six times during the first half is, well, inherently stupid.

It was my second post which questioned our levels of support and that was borne off the back of reading several posts mocking Man City's support. As I said, pretty ironic.

On the pitch I agree, Manchester City were terrible. We were brilliant. Off it, they were nothing special but certainly nothing to mock either. They out sung us.

You'd hope so, outnumbering our fans by over 10 to 1  :lol:

• Like 1

Â