Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Pretty much already knew that Austin was out of our price range. Wonder why he hasn't moved on already? My guess that other teams think his price is way over the top.

I don't want to write off our attacking options so soon BUT we have to acknowledge that they are, at best, a gamble.

Gestede has never played at this level and, so far, has little to his game other than aerial ability. He may well develop but do we have time to wait when the other option is Ayew.

Ayew has yet to prove he is a proficient scorer at a high level. He is in a new country in a new league. Again he may develop but now we have two 'maybes'.

Then there is Gabby. Enough said on that topic. And Kozak, who doesn't even make the squad.

We have a lot of gambles, we need a more reliable striker. Whilst nothing is ever certain, we need to put our money on more sure a bet. Adebayor would be a safer option than what we have, despite obvious issues. Berahino would cost too much. Austin fits the bill perfectly.

Without a more assured striker we are not going to score the goals to survive this season.

Please spend more than half a million this transfer window Lerner!

Benteke was a gamble. So was Dwight Yorke. So was Balaban. So was Helinus. Some work, others don't. We've brought in  couple which at least increases the odds of one of them being a hit.

'Sure bet' goal scorers have a lot of options, many of which will look a lot more attractive than Villa right now. Man Utd need a striker, so do Spurs, and others. Any player deemed certain to get 15+ goals a season will be joining a club higher up the table than Villa, gambles are our only option.

And Austin is as much of a gamble as Ayew or Gestede. He's scored Premier League goals, but only for one season which proves nothing. He also appears to be a massive injury risk. 

Of course the club realise that we need a striker. Actually il change it to realised.

We've spent 16m on a couple. Sadly Tim Sherwood's picking them and after 3 games (and it is only 3 games), they look shit.

Nobody can complain about the money made available regardless of where it has come from. We've had plenty to spend. Certainly to show improvements that we arent yet showing.

Lescott and adebayor on loan will prob be as good as it gets.

I think people can complain, our net spend has been less than the amount Bristol City have just spent on a striker. 

That said, I do agree with a lot of your post. Perhaps we should have spent £18m on someone like the new lad at West Brom, rather than £12m on Ayew and £6m on Gestede. 

Replacing Benteke was always going to be our number one priority this summer, and we've not even come remotely close to achieving this. Blame for this gets shared between Lerner and Sherwood.

Bristol City haven't spent that on a striker (yet) they bid £9million for Andre Gray but so did Burnley and he decided to join Burnley..

Of course the club realise that we need a striker. Actually il change it to realised.

We've spent 16m on a couple. Sadly Tim Sherwood's picking them and after 3 games (and it is only 3 games), they look shit.

Nobody can complain about the money made available regardless of where it has come from. We've had plenty to spend. Certainly to show improvements that we arent yet showing.

Lescott and adebayor on loan will prob be as good as it gets.

I think people can complain, our net spend has been less than the amount Bristol City have just spent on a striker.

That said, I do agree with a lot of your post. Perhaps we should have spent £18m on someone like the new lad at West Brom, rather than £12m on Ayew and £6m on Gestede.

Replacing Benteke was always going to be our number one priority this summer, and we've not even come remotely close to achieving this. Blame for this gets shared between Lerner and Sherwood.

But tbh, I don't think more net spend would have made much difference, given who sherwood has bought so far.

I mean, he's spent another 15m or so on midfielders who don't seem to be any improvement on Westwood who, without bashing the lad as it seems he's one of our better players so far, we do need to improve on him to move forward as a team.

The signings look average at best so far in the most part. The odd moment of magic sure but overall it's been disappointing. Early days yet of course but a lot depends on the bloke you've got spending the money net/not net. So far, sherwood doesn't seem to be as good as we hoped.

For me it's been a mixed bag, although I'm not ready to write anyone off just yet, and i'm sure you won't either.

Gestede always looked like a super-sub type signing. I stressed it a few times before the season had even begun, but it's far too much to expect a £6m signing from the Championship to lead the line in the premiership. That's cheap, even by Championship standards.

Ayew, granted, has looked a little clueless so far, as has Veretout in reality. I am at least confident that Veretout will come good in time, though I do agree that Ayew could be a bit of a dud. But I still maintain hope that he'll come good, given a sensible amount of time.

As for the others, Gueye, Amavi and Traore have the potential to be every bit as good business as Benteke was and Richards looks the strongest of our centre backs.

I still think it's been a great window, but it will count for very little if we don't bring in the absolutely essential striker and centre back that we so badly need. Fail to do this, and the money spent on Veretout, Gestede and Ayew will look misplaced (in so far as we had other, more pressing, priorities).

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 1

Gestede scored more goals in the championship last year than Callum Wilson who scored a premier league hat trick yesterday.

Perhaps it's not so much that Gestede is not a good striker so much as our service to him has been predictable and one- dimensional.

• Like 2

Gestede scored more goals in the championship last year than Callum Wilson who scored a premier league hat trick yesterday.

Perhaps it's not so much that Gestede is not a good striker so much as our service to him has been predictable and one- dimensional.

I'm not sure that anyone is saying that Gestede isn't a good striker, more that it's not reasonable to rely on a Championship striker to provide the goals we need. A good option, undoubtedly, but shouldn't be first choice. That particular accolade would ideally go to someone like Adebayor.

Did I actually just see our two striker signings written off and called shit after just 3 games. 1 of which 1 of them scored our winner. Good heavens

Yep. Though the acknowledgement that it was 3 games and too early to call was there too. Don't let that get in your way tho.

Seriously what are we supposed to do? Not form an opinion?

At what point can we start having an opinion. 5? 10? 15 games?

So far they don't look very good. Simple as that.

Wilson & Gestede both scored 20 times in Championship last season..

Nixon seems to be indicating that the Adebayor deal is not dead.

He'll do for me. Adebayor playing off Grealish, Traore, Gil has me licking my lips.

812055.gif

SqFT9q9.gif

*that's not actually me

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 3

Did I actually just see our two striker signings written off and called shit after just 3 games. 1 of which 1 of them scored our winner. Good heavens

Yep. Though the acknowledgement that it was 3 games and too early to call was there too. Don't let that get in your way tho.

Are you incapable of having a positive opinion on anything?

He'll do for me. Adebayor playing off Grealish, Traore, Gil has me licking my lips.

SqFT9q9.gif

*that's not actually me

what has he said exactly?

Just that Austin and Afobe are likely to be 'too rich' for our tastes, but he can still see Adebayor coming in.

He's been pretty good with his info thus far. Says a price agreed for Lescott and that will be in tomorrow's paper.

Are you incapable of having a positive opinion on anything?

No

• Like 1

SqFT9q9.gif

*that's not actually me

what has he said exactly?

Just that Austin and Afobe are likely to be 'too rich' for our tastes, but he can still see Adebayor coming in.

He's been pretty good with his info thus far. Says a price agreed for Lescott and that will be in tomorrow's paper.

thanks

• Like 1