Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

At the moment the only rumour I'm hearing that I like is Trippier. Would like to see him here, would improve the XI.

I don't think we need to sell too many players, it's about holding on to our good ones. But then again the manager will have to put his stamp on the team.

If I was to throw a name out there, instead of someone like Townsend and Philips, what about Kakuta? Will be on a free if he isn't offered a new deal, seems to have done well out on loan recently

EDIT: just seen an article and wouldn't mind a cheeky bid for van Dijk

Edited by skarroki

Any chance of doing a list of targets without the overrated, overpriced Townsend? ;)

Why do people on here dislike this guy so much? Honest question.

He is skilful, fast, agressive can run with ball and can shoot from distance. I know his isn't hazard but that's why he is a good target for us

I wouldn't say he is particularly skillful. Granted with the rest but the problem is that for the attributes listed, they are quite superfluous when you have no end-product. For a winger, pace, dribbling etc. are primarily means to the end of working a threatening delivery point. He isn't an intelligent player and you can't seriously believe he'd be worth the £10-12m fee that we know Spurs will demand. Or the corresponding wage demands that come with a substantial transfer.

• Like 4

Any chance of doing a list of targets without the overrated, overpriced Townsend? ;)

Why do people on here dislike this guy so much? Honest question.

He is skilful, fast, agressive can run with ball and can shoot from distance. I know his isn't hazard but that's why he is a good target for us

I wouldn't say he is particularly skillful. Granted with the rest but the problem is that for the attributes listed, they are quite superfluous when you have no end-product. For a winger, pace, dribbling etc. are primarily means to the end of working a threatening delivery point. He isn't an intelligent player and you can't seriously believe he'd be worth the £10-12m fee that we know Spurs will demand. Or the corresponding wage demands that come with a substantial transfer.

You do not know that is a definite fact.

Edited by adw95

maybe could make an offer for Jason Denayer, he wont get much game time at City and is young and just got into Belgium squad

did OK at celtic, but I'm not sure he's better than clark and okore.

Austin is not going to replace Benteke. If we are going to survive next season we need to think bigger

bigger than £15 mill Austin?erm who would come to us?

Agree 100%

The bottom line is that Austin is about as high as we can realisically aim at. We will never replace Benteke like for like and looking at whats out there, Austin is about where we will be looking.

Hearing Milner is about to sign for Sympathypool and Celtic are also about to land some kid for 4m. 

Whats happened to the August/January windows? 

Edited by Kingman

It would be foolish to waste half of the Benteke money on Austin, especially when he's in the last year of his contract.

Yes but regarding the type of player, Austin is about the standard that we can aim at. He only had 1 season in the prem so a figure of around £10mil lessens the gamble. From what I saw of him, he could fit into the way we were playing and become a target for crosses. Looked to be able to finish as well. Not sure we'd get quite the same work rate a little further back though?

I have no doubt that several PL teams will be in for him this summer.

That would leave us just £15M to fix the rest of the team and it needs major improvements if we're to avoid another relegation scap. If you take out Benteke replace with Austin and add a few others like Trippier here and there it isn't going to do much for our cause really.

Well Benteke needs replacing-Not doing so does less for our cause.

The Benteke money is over and above what other funds will be made available so if we can get 2 or even 3 with this money, its possible to do the same again with money from elsewhere.

Andros Townsend would be a really good player for us.

At least he has a pair or bollocks to take a man on and have a few shots.

At the right fee I would have him all day long, unfortunately he is English and plays for Spurs so will cost about £68m, and £400k a week.

Haha yep completely agree with you there! Our players BARELY take anyone on. And spurs will be selling him as "the black Bale"

We don't need a lot of players. We need quality

Guzan

Bacuna CB Clark LB

Cleverly? Sanchez Delph

Gil benteke? Sinclair

That's 2 1st team players if cleverly and benteke stay. + 3 squad players

We also have at least 7 players defo leaving + about 5 maybes freeing up a lot of resources

If were being serious about quality Sanchez would be on the bench or getting sold. He's been ropey at times and inconsistent. Our defence needs some help in front of them. A dedicated CDM would be good and, obviously, we need a proper replacement for Benteke. I can't see us getting a guaranteed 15-20 goal a season striker without spending almost all the Benteke money though. Gil is promising but if Sherwood really doesn't think he's good enough we should loan not sell. 

The way I see it is that we need to replace Benteke with more goal options across the team. I'm not sure it's very healthy to be so reliant on a single goal scorer because if he gets injured or loses form you are screwed. Austin could be one part of that puzzle but we would also need another striker and an AM or wide forward to complement him.

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 4