2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

That's ok your a feringi.

Due diligence :

a comprehensive appraisal of a business undertaken by a prospective buyer, especially to establish its assets and liabilities and evaluate its commercial potential.

This was not taken from google.....

Or maybe it was.

• Like 1

Well it looks like nothing is happening, or if it is, it's going to be someone who doesn't have the funds needed to make a difference.

You will need to explain this one, Useless.

First of all I was partly just trying to change the subject. (So I guess it did have it's 'desired affect')

But do we really think we'd be signing players this early, if a takeover was in the offing, I doubt it myself. Some peole seem to think that maybe the signings/targets are being sanctioned by new owners, if that was the case then going for likes of Huddlestone would suggest they don't have financial clout to take us to the next level.

Except no. Football clubs can't just stop running because there's a chance there might be new owners in a month. What happens if the process takes us into August and all of the managers targets are gone by then?

What if it takes us into August and the talks break down... It's not how a football club should be run. It's a good thing we are just cracking on with things, stop trying to turn it into a negative.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Well it looks like nothing is happening, or if it is, it's going to be someone who doesn't have the funds needed to make a difference.

First of all I was partly just trying to change the subject. (So I guess it did have it's 'desired affect')

But do we really think we'd be signing players this early, if a takeover was in the offing, I doubt it myself. Some peole seem to think that maybe the signings/targets are being sanctioned by new owners, if that was the case then going for likes of Huddlestone would suggest they don't have financial clout to take us to the next level.

Except no. Football clubs can't just stop running because there's a chance there might be new owners in a month. What happens if the process takes us into August and all of the managers targets are gone by then?

What if it takes us into August and the talks break down... It's not how a football club should be run. It's a good thing we are just cracking on with things, stop trying to turn it into a negative.

I'm not trying to turn anything into anything, least of all a negative. I was just trying to express a worry, I'm not saying that's definitely the way it is. I'm happy for people to explain why what I wrote is wrong (or doesn't necessarily have to be the way I fear) because I really hope I'm wrong.

Edited by useless

I'm not trying to turn anything into anything, least of all a negative. I was just trying to express a worry, I'm not saying that's definitely the way it is. I'm happy for people to explain why what I wrote is wrong (or doesn't necessarily have to be the way I fear) because I really hope I'm wrong.

You said you doubt it, then gave a list of nonsensical reasons why you doubt it. I was debunking those reasons. I'm not saying a takeover will definitely happen?

You also added that many people feel the same as you, presumably on social media, well they are all wrong too. In my opinion.

You said you doubt it, then gave a list of nonsensical reasons why you doubt it. I was debunking those reasons. I'm not saying a takeover will definitely happen?

You also added that many people feel the same as you, presumably on social media, well they are all wrong too. In my opinion.

I only said that I doubt we'd start signing players if a takeover was in the offing, i don't think that's a nonsensical reason. And I'm not sure you've exactly 'debunked' it, but I understand your reasoning and hope your right.

Don't know where I stated that many people feel the same as me, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's a concern that's crossed a few people's thoughts.

Edited by useless

I only said that I doubt we'd start signing players if a takeover was in the offing, i don't think that's a nonsensical reason. And I'm not sure you've exactly 'debunked' it, but I understand your reasoning and hope your right.

Don't know where I stated that many people feel the same as me, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's a concern that's crossed a few people's thoughts.

I have to smile............You write with your heart on your sleeve, which is quite a likable trait.

by the way.......before the cynics get hold of it....that was meant to be an unconditional compliment.

Edited by TRO

I don't think useless' thoughts are far fetched. I'm personally in the thinking that nothing decent will happen, simply because it's villa.

8/9 years we've put up with this 'behind doors' rubbish. What I've come to realise is that there is bugger all happening. There's no issue in things being released with regards transfers/takeovers - other teams cope just fine with it.

If a serious investor with serious cash was coming, I think they would already be here.

I'm also of the opinion that good things don't happen to us.

The FA Cup final was like the pigs blood being poured on Carrie. Only we don't have any telekinetic powers, and despite reports that we might be getting some this summer, nothing has yet materialised.

• Like 2

I'm also of the opinion that good things don't happen to us.

The FA Cup final was like the pigs blood being poured on Carrie. Only we don't have any telekinetic powers, and despite reports that we might be getting some this summer, nothing has yet materialised.

I suppose it's not so much good things in general: benteke is a good thing for example.

It's just the wait while a potentially good thing occurs always seems to end in disappointment. Soon as the rest of the footballing world are made aware that something 'might' happen, it always seems to just stand still before dwindling into nothing.

Might as well just Cone out and say either:

**** all is happening

This is happening and it's shit (Adams and pals)

Or

This is happening and it's mint (Arab mega rich)

instead we ALWAYS get gobbledegook that leaves us guessing saying that press release could hinder it all. What exactly is the press going to hinder? This person/people apparently have exclusivity. That exclusivity will exist whether we know who they are or not.

I'm probably looking at the media release part a bit one sided however, I strongly believe that fook all will happen.

• Like 1

Yep.

We get taken over by a billionaire with the promise of Champions League football and breaking the top 4, and for a while it all looks very positive

Then Man City get overtaken by a billionaire that makes ours look like a homeless tramp and we're shunted to not only not competing, but probably the worst 4 years in the history of the club.

We have this awful, awful season where we play some of the most boring, dire, ineffective football i've ever seen, only to be rebuilt by the feelgood factor of the Sherwood appointment and a good cup run. Then we get absolutely embarrassingly fisted in the final.

There is no football karma. It doesn't exist. This recent news is just to get our hopes up so they can be dashed again

• Like 4

The worst 4 years in our history **** me if the last 4tears are the worst what about when we went from champions to a shambles thanks to Ellis and his brown nosers and the other periods in our history. Last 4 years were just really bad but not as bad as relegation. Get a grip granted you may only be since the premier league era (when football actually started) rather than from when it really started and haven't experienced worse shit than this. But a bit of reality will be a good. Bad very bad yes but not down and out and waiting to rise up again.

• Like 4

The worst 4 years in our history **** me if the last 4tears are the worst what about when we went from champions to a shambles thanks to Ellis and his brown nosers and the other periods in our history. Last 4 years were just really bad but not as bad as relegation. Get a grip granted you may only be since the premier league era (when football actually started) rather than from when it really started and haven't experienced worse shit than this. But a bit of reality will be a good. Bad very bad yes but not down and out and waiting to rise up again.

Fair enough there have been worse times but those that went through relegation also experienced the ultimate prize in winning the European cup. If I can ever experience that just once I'd take relegation any day.

• Like 1

The last 4 years were far from good but they were not the 4 worst years in our history for me.

I would go for 1966/67 21st relegated from Division 1, 67/68 16th in Division 2, 68/69 18th, 69/70 21st relegated from Division 2. I rest my case. Sad days indeed.

But this deal is taking too long to go through for me and I can understand those that doubt there is any potential deal waiting in the wings.    

• Like 2

The last 4 years were far from good but they were not the 4 worst years in our history for me.

I would go for 1966/67 21st relegated from Division 1, 67/68 16th in Division 2, 68/69 18th, 69/70 21st relegated from Division 2. I rest my case. Sad days indeed.

But this deal is taking too long to go through for me and I can understand those that doubt there is any potential deal waiting in the wings.    

Yes the revolution of 1968 was the turning point - the lowest in my time was indeed 66/67 - from Division 1 the lower leagues and the resurgence. Virtually bankrupt - a chelsea fan saves us a Blue Nose becomes Chairman tries to rid us of Saunders! 

Give me the last 4 years over relegation anyday. I just hope the 'modern' fan doesn't experience it - but what fun we had coming back up and visiting all those small clubs and grounds.

• Like 3

But why would the club stop signing players when there isn't even a bid on the table? That's just crazy!

But that's the point there is a bid on the table, or at least an indicative bid. The only reason a party would be granted exclusivity is that they have made an offer that meets with Randy Lerner's expectations.

OK the club has made no official statement on the matter it's just what has been leaked to the media but it certainly has not been denied by the club and that for me is the crucial point. I would guess that not only is there a period of exclusivity but also confidentiality agreements so it will mean there will be very little information coming into the public domain. The key difference between now and when Lerner bought the club is that we are privately owned so there is no obligation to announce anything to the stock market, unlike back then.

Until an actual deal is done it is bound to be business as usual and Sherwood will be working within the constraints set by Lerner and Fox which as we all know means controlling the wage bill and no mega transfers. After all any deal could fall over and the club has to sensibly plan for next season on a no change basis.

I think we should all relax until we hear something more concrete.

Â