2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

So, after doing some brief reading it seems that Paul Smith was the man who got the initial Samsung sponsorship deal for Chelsea way back in 2005. A Tottenham fan as a child, he joined Chelsea after leaving a post at Manchester United, so he certainly knows the game well from a business perspective. He is also the guy who rebranded Chelsea with their new badge, and has a strong marketing background going way back to the 70's in the UK and Switzerland.

Thinking about it, if we keep Tom Fox on (which I really think we should, for his acumen alone if not what he has done to help the club so far), theoretically this could be a good move for us. Of course this all relies on if he can get good investors on board, but from a footballing point of view and taking FFP into account, I'm actually quite excited.

• Like 1

If this goes ahead, Smith will become CEO you'd think and Fox will leave, which is fair enough. I always questioned the belief that Fox will remain in place in spite of a takeover, it's normal that new owners want their own people running things.

If this goes ahead, Smith will become CEO you'd think and Fox will leave, which is fair enough. I always questioned the belief that Fox will remain in place in spite of a takeover, it's normal that new owners want their own people running things.

I agree that new owners will want their own people running things and I also agree that Smith will likely takeover as CEO should the takeover go through, however I think it'd be daft to let Fox leave completely - I'd rather keep him on board.

• Like 2

I agree that new owners will want their own people running things and I also agree that Smith will likely takeover as CEO should the takeover go through, however I think it'd be daft to let Fox leave completely - I'd rather keep him on board.

Touché.

I want a proper take over please. You know, like a Sheikh or a Prince or a Russian Oligarch. 

Not a 'consortium' with a mouthpiece. 

A few weeks ago I'd have agreed with you, but with FFP in place there is only so much a super rich Sheikh or Prince will be able to do. 

• Like 1

If Adams is in anyway involved then I would have thought the most likely candidates would be Gilan Holding from from Azerbaijan, as has probably already been suggested. If these Halo people are really investing in other clubs then I'd presume they have some money somewhere.

Actually It could be absolutely anybody, I've read up on that many Billionaires thinking that they might be buying the VIlla over the last year that I could write their life stories.

Just because we've had a few good results doesn't mean we should be scared of a new beginning under new ownership. If Lerner sells to the right people then it'll make Sherwood's job an whole lot easier.

• Like 2

Just because we've had a few good results doesn't mean we should be scared of a new beginning under new ownership. If Lerner sells to the right people then it'll make Sherwood's job an whole lot easier.

Unless they want their own man in as manager.?no one knows Diddly squat as yet so no until we know any new incumbents are keeping sherwood on as manager it's all up in the air ! And we don't know if his job is easier cos he might not be here. I'll reserve judgement until we have the facts and not supposition and guesswork. I hope they keep him on he has been a breath of fresh air that has swept through the stagnant foul air in and around villa park for a while. Just my opinion of course.
  • Like 1

Absolutely.

And I don't think we do fear the unknown. The reservations are just that this bid sounds a little bit shady, and as it's the first one of any real substance that has reared its head, people are a bit wary that we shouldn't be selling to the first bunch who scrape the money together to meet the asking price.

Now, that probably isn't what's happened, there has probably been lots of interest and this is just the first serious bid.

But I think that's where people's trepidation comes from.

If they mean business then I'm sure the majority of fans will welcome a new owner.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â