Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

I'm guessing Yakamoto, Kim, Kim and Chan. Not necessarily in that order.

P.S. Kindly change your sig so that it uses the word "maths", or find some other site to post on ;)

It was deliberate :D :D :D

(it's Wang, Zhang, Li, Liu)

Non-Mandarin variants: Wong, Lee (that's me), Lau, Low etc

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_%28name%29#France

With over 230,000 people holding the surname Martin in France, it is the most common French surname.[2] The origins of its frequency can be attributed to Saint Martin of Tours, who was the most popular French saint, but the reason is not clear.[3]

Martin was never a common given name (Christian name) in the Middle Ages, like Bernard or Thomas (which were later officialized and became common surnames, nowadays ranking second and third respectively). Onomastics have tried to find other reasons for Martin's popularity, by examining, for example, the repartition of place names, but this explanation also lacks empirical support.[3]

It can be a late surname connected with children of orphanages, like Alexandre, which was never a common first name in the Middle Ages but now appears quite frequently as a surname. Martin can represent charity towards orphans.

I'm not disputing it, just saying that I am surprised. I have spent a lot of time in France plus new many French people when I was living near London Bridge which has a sizeable French community. I never knew anyone with that last name.

I'm not disputing it, just saying that I am surprised. I have spent a lot of time in France plus new many French people when I was living near London Bridge which has a sizeable French community. I never knew anyone with that last name.

less than a quarter million Martins, 60 / 65 million in France

chances of somebody you meet in France being a Martin is, er, 240 / 1 ???  (you'd never believe I'm a bookie)

Tickled me that the Russian name was Smirnov. I wonder if any other country has their #1 name as a popular drink. It'd be like us having a beer called John Smith or something.

• Like 2

Tickled me that the Russian name was Smirnov. I wonder if any other country has their #1 name as a popular drink. It'd be like us having a beer called John Smith or something.

Murphy's Stout, not sure how popular it is outside of Cork though.

Nah, Melbourne's nowhere near as cold as Toronto :)

Brisbane's probably much warmer than Atlanta, especially in the winter.

Sydney's much warmer than NY.

(not entirely inaccurate though, good try :) )

Â