Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

China might be headed for a massive population crash though.  Because the one child policy was introduced at the same time as the ultrasound scanner was invented it turns out that a lot of people might have had back street abortions when they found out they were pregnant with a girl because it was (or is) culturally preferable to have a son.   As a result there is a massive gender imbalance within certain age groups of the population and the last ten to fifteen years have seen an average of 120-130 males born for every 100 females. (source) so in a decade or two there are going to be tens of millions of men unable to find a partner.  The birth rate might crash as a result. 

yeah like i said they know whats happening and are trying to scrap it, the 1 child poilcy wont exist within a decade, 90% of children in 1990 were only children which means there is already a huge number of couples that dont have to follow the 1 child policy

i cant find any sauces for it but im sure when i was doing my dissertation id seen somewhere that amongst the new wealth in china opinion is swinging the other way and having a girl is more popular, mainly because its the males parents who end up paying for everything

No way Singapore's that blue. No way.

Edit: Okay, maybe - depends on how one defines "foreign visitor." Guess Singaporeans in general don't mind tourists that much, it's the immigrants who displease people.

Edited by legov

Yeah but let's be honest, once you hit Russia it will always look impressive :)

On a serious note, why does it have the US states individually?

American website ..ergo there is America  and there is the rest of the world

The last place i would want to visit on earth is South Africa

I know a few people who live there 

The value of human life is basically zero

you could say the same about Basingstoke tbh

I was going to go at Christmas with the family but Mrs H isn't keen so we opted for Mauritius instead  ... but I'd love to go there  ( South Africa  that is , not Basingstoke)

Syria is the sad one for me ..I loved that place and seeing it destroy itself is really sad

Haven't we had this conversation before not so long ago?

I know a few people who live there too :)

I don't know what's more depressing: The people you know saying stuff like that (assuming you didn't get that bit from some journalist), or you believing it.

By all means give the place a skip, but it's your loss. More naturally beautiful than a lot of more popular tourist destinations, and cheap. Not having to worry too much about the cost of drinks and restaurant meals makes for a pretty good holiday.

Saying that, like most of the more interesting places it's not for everyone, it can challenge you to think differently about a lot of things. I love the place though.

• Like 2

It looks like Nassau, specifically Great Neck, is more likely. Pretty posh (The Great Gatsby is set in a thinly-veiled Great Neck) and kind of Jew-y, especially in relation to neighboring Queens (which more or less mirrors us vs. Baggies).

Manhattan_neighborhoods.png

So Chelsea is Wall Street (I guess I can see that). Southampton is Tribeca, more or less. Palace is Soho/Little Italy/Nolita. Norwich is Lower East Side. Arsenal are the West Village, Spurs the East Village. Everton are Chelsea... Fulham are Gramercy/Murray Hill. West Ham are Tudor City. Man City are Midtown. Man Utd: Upper East Side. Liverpool: Upper West Side. Stoke: Spanish Harlem. Swansea: Morningside Heights (because it wouldn't do to have Columbia University in Harlem). Hull: the rest of Harlem. Sunderland: The Bronx. Cardiff: Brooklyn. WBA: Queens. Newcastle: Staten Island. Villa: Nassau County.

So they gave the neighborhoods with the expensive real estate to Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, and Liverpool. Newcastle are where there's **** all to do. You wouldn't want to visit Sunderland or Hull on a bet. Villa are where the old money lives in big mansions. Making the club playing at the Boleyn Ground be Tudor City is genius, if that was intentional. Swansea are a combination of poor and way too cultured. Cardiff is a port area that's becoming less dangerous as it deindustrializes. The rest are mostly much of a muchness.

• Like 3

Â