Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

I've always admired the French approach to map making, it's somewhat different. Their maps always seem to be more attractive than ours. Compare a Michelin map of an area of france to an OS map of a similar area of Britain and the Michelin map will always win for me. They are more attractive to the eye I suppose whilst losing little of the OS maps functionality. OS maps are rather British, straight edged and matter of fact. The French to kind of follow their national traits and appear good on the eye, retaining their practicality but with a little odd quirkiness that once you are used to and understand enhances the whole experience.

(anyone sends this to Pseuds corner and I will hunt you down :mrgreen:)

On the money, this. Michelin maps look really good. Unfortunately, for accuracy and reliability they are pissed on from a great height by British OS maps. And actually, I do like the look of the OS style as well. Has a certain pre-war retro charm about it.

Also, the old Paris Metro map was so useless they got the guy who did the London Underground one to re-do it for them, with much better results.

Also, the old Paris Metro map was so useless they got the guy who did the London Underground one to re-do it for them, with much better results.

Harry Beck? I think his Tube map has to be one of the iconic images of the 20th century. It has since been copied by pretty much every public transport company in the world.

wQkv2.jpg

The French Map I linked above looks beautiful. It's really nice to look at on a big computer screen at home to kill a bit of time, but if I was actually trying to get from A to B, I'd take Beck's classic tube map every single time.

• 1 month later...

5927799377_b6d088aebc_b.jpg

Breaking down the US into "call data communities". Basically, from looking at anonymized call data, people within each block of color are more likely to call someone in that zone than others.

Someone actually needed to employ a research company to tell them that people are more likely to phone their neighbours than people in other parts of the country?

Interesting to see such close links between Florida and New England though. I assume Florida is a place New Englanders go to retire, or did they just run out of colours?

Oh, and one for Levi do guess correctly at the first attempt. Though this one is very easy (imo)

iyrWt.png

• 3 weeks later...
Why do you say that?

Looks pretty accurate to me.

Well, without giving it away (I'll let you do that), there's no possible way to be that accurate from mostly cell position, some aGPS position.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â