Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

Conceived in "Big Egos" (the Back Bay, but before it was what it is)

Born in "Baseball" (should be amended to "Baseball and Hospitals")

Grew up in "Boring" (JP!), then "Pretentious people" (Newton Centre and then Newton Corner), then "Insignificant" (the Blackstone Valley, pre-Exit 10A and then a town in the Worcester Hills)

Went to uni with "Hippies" (ZooMass)

Was in "Shit is all **** Up" for a few years and am now among the Trees and Hippies (and Lesbians)

Generally accurate, though. I'd replace "Sketchy" with "Portuguese" (though those are sort of synonymous, I guess) and "Swamp Yankees and Professors" may be a better description than "Hillbillies", which I would probably move to western Insignificance and eastern Trees... between Gardner and Greenfield on

you can hear Dueling Banjos if you listen closely (that video goes only a couple of blocks from where I live now... indeed you can see the Wendy's I've been known get a Baconator or three at from time to time at about 3:30 and my preferred Greek pizzeria is just offscreen at about the 3:50 mark).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doesn't really matter... whatever party Lee Kuan Yew wants to win will win...

On a similar theme:

800px-2010_census_reapportionment.jpg

Massachusetts lost another seat, which will either result in correcting some very old gerrymandering in Western Mass or making it even crazier.

Currently the districts are:

screenshotarcgismassach.png

Going back to the days of Silvio Conte and Teddy Boland, there's been two districts in Western Mass: one with Springfield and one with Pittsfield, Westfield, and Greenfield (Holyoke and Northampton have gone back and forth), but since Massachusetts' center of population has been moving eastward for the past 150 or so years, both districts now almost get into the Boston area. IMO, it would make a lot of sense to unify the districts, but that would mean stepping on the toes of Dickie Neal (who succeeded Boland in running the machine that has run Springfield into the ground) John Olver who, being fairly long-tenured, have clout in Washington.

There's only 50 footballers who make more than EUR4.2m?

And one of them is Wayne Bridge?!?!

Of Manchester City.

The chart looks like it is a couple of years out of date. It supposes that Deco is still at Chelsea, and that Arsenal have won something within recent years. No mention of Yaya Toure either, who is on £220k a week at Manchester City.

• 2 weeks later...

Global peace index 2011, published today apparently.

szc5y.jpg

According to that the UK is the 26th most "at peace" nation on earth.

Some other countries where we have posters from for a bit of perspective:

Ireland: 11th most at peace.

United States: 82nd

Australia: 18th

New Zealand: 2nd! (Iceland is #1 fwiw)

Sweden: 13th

The bottom 10 nations probably arent that surprising:

(11] Libya)

10] Central African Republic

9] Israel

8] Pakistan

7] Russia

6] Democratic Republic of Congo

5] North Korea

4] Afghanistan

3] Sudan

2] Iraq

1] Somalia

Considering we are in Afghanistan and currently invading Libya, plus the troubles in Northern Ireland seem to have escalated in recent months I'd say it is already out of date!

I've always admired the French approach to map making, it's somewhat different. Their maps always seem to be more attractive than ours. Compare a Michelin map of an area of france to an OS map of a similar area of Britain and the Michelin map will always win for me. They are more attractive to the eye I suppose whilst losing little of the OS maps functionality. OS maps are rather British, straight edged and matter of fact. The French to kind of follow their national traits and appear good on the eye, retaining their practicality but with a little odd quirkiness that once you are used to and understand enhances the whole experience.

(anyone sends this to Pseuds corner and I will hunt you down :mrgreen:)

Â