Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

GSM/3G coverage in North America, probably on the Telus/AT&T frequency blocks?

(Telus is the former provincial telephone company in Alberta)

((AT&T has roaming agreements with 3, O2, and Vodafone (which is at first glance interesting since Vodafone owns half of AT&T Mobility's biggest competitor, Verizon Wireless, but Verizon uses a non-GSM (at least for now...) network))

(((while Telus has roaming with Orange, T-Mobile, and Vodafone... so that's Vodafone's North American roaming coverage?)))

You fail Levi, it took you 16 mins to guess!

Apparently Alberta has such great 3G coverage because its almost completely flat. I never found out what the difference between the dark and light shades meant though.

You fail Levi, it took you 16 mins to guess!

Apparently Alberta has such great 3G coverage because its almost completely flat. I never found out what the difference between the dark and light shades meant though.

Light shade is EDGE coverage, dark shade is 3G/4G.

att.verizon.3g.coverage.png

UMTS like the rest of the GSM suite isn't that suited to countries like the US given the limited (in comparison to cdmaOne/CDMA2000... confusingly, of course, the main UMTS implementation is also based on CDMA) range from towers. Of course the cdmaOne/CDMA2000 system has its drawbacks (lower speeds and no support for simultaneous voice and data (if you're on a call your phone cannot receive texts and you can't have apps up- or downloading things while you talk)).

• 3 weeks later...

originsofthenamesofever.jpg

Not a new concept (and some are possibly iffy), but: translations of the names of every country on Earth.

Soundtrack for this post

I've seen the Middle Kingdom, between Heaven and Earth

Like the Chinese call the country of their birth

We all figure that our homes, our homes are set above

Other people than the ones, the ones we know and love

In every place with a name

They play the territorial game

Hiding behind the lines

Setting up warning signs

That football map is incorrect.I n the bottom corner it says it is a work in progress and will change with feedback. For a start according to that map there are more charlton fans in london then spurs fans. Millwalls fan base is not that big, and surely Arsenal are the best supported team in London?

• 2 weeks later...
Â