Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

What's the deal with Delaware then? Is it just incredibly bland or something?

I saw 'Stephen Fry in America', IIRC he spent about 45 seconds on Delaware.

That said, trying to cover the US in 6 episodes was ambitious.

What's the deal with Delaware then? Is it just incredibly bland or something?

Basically. It's a small tax haven controlled by one family (the Du Ponts) with some beaches, a lot of swamps, and no hills. A large percentage of Delaware's economy either arises from being between Baltimore/Washington and Philadelphia/New York (drive on I-95/I-295 from Maryland to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and about 90% of the license plates are non-Delaware (which is why there's a toll on the road, sited more or less on the Maryland line)), people who live there and commute to Philadelphia because of the low taxes, or from collecting fees on tax-avoidance measures used by out-of-staters... most of the rest is from chemical plants etc. It's probably even more boring than Connecticut (which at least has some hills and woods in places). Most of that is also true, word for word, of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe10YabZGuM, but New Hampshire also has the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC-yu9csU48.

It was a long time ago, but I quite enjoyed my drive through Delaware.

Baltimore to Annapolis, over the bridge and down Route 13, and then across the rather amazing Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel and into Virginia and The Great Dismal Swamp.

I must admit, Delaware itself did just seem like a bunch of sleepy little towns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What if you had countries move so that their relative populations coincided with their relative areas? (e.g. #1 in population China takes the area of #1 in area Russia)

c6Agr.jpg

Interestingly, the USA (#3 in both population and area), Brazil (#5 in both), Yemen (#51 in both) and Ireland (#120 in both) don't move at all. Meanwhile Bangladesh doesn't move very far, taking the area formerly held by India. South Korea and North Korea also retain their mutual orientation.

Risso will be happy to be in warmer climes, I suspect :D

• 3 weeks later...

Baltimore to Annapolis, over the bridge and down Route 13, and then across the rather amazing Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel and into Virginia and The Great Dismal Swamp.

The CBBT is a trip... on the middle span between the two tunnels you'll often not see any land!

(the bridge in the beginning of that video is the Delaware Memorial Bridge)

friend relationships on facebook?

boy , are you good .. I thought it would be a while before someone tracked it down on google :-)

but yes , The map above is the result of attempts to visualise where people live relative to their Facebook friends. Each line connects cities with pairs of friends. The brighter the line, the more friends between those cities.

China and Africa don't seem to have jumped on the FB bandwagon yet

No I thought I made out a facebook logo in the corner and thought it had something to do with that. Then I looked at China (where FB is essentially banned) and Brazil (where, for whatever reason, Google's Orkut is the dominant social network (though there's beginning to be a status associated with FB such that if you're in the middle class or above, it's better form to be on FB)) and there wasn't much there so it seemed like a good guess.

The CBBT is a trip... on the middle span between the two tunnels you'll often not see any land!

Yes, that was what got me - it's a really weird sensation driving in your car (which is making you feel slightly seasick anyway, due to the undulating road surface) across the sea - with boats and ships sailing past on either side. :shock:

BTW, thanks for the video link Levi, that took me right back. Pity they didn't take some shots out of the side windows, though.

Â