The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

1982 was obviously our greatest day.

Given the trophy drought, and the fact we haven't won the FA Cup since 1957, I'd say this would be our 2nd greatest day.

For you but for me was coming back from the brink of going out of business in 1968 and rising from the flames in the 70's. Winning division 3 then rising and winning the division 1 followed by European cup.
  • Like 3

For a lot of fans, winning the FA Cup will be Number One greatest day - it would be for me.

Obviously Europe is amazing, FA Cup in 57 great, hell even the double in the 1897! But they're all before my time, so however proud I am of our history I never had that feeling of living it. I want that feeling and if it comes it'll be MY number one Villa memory.

• Like 1

For a lot of fans, winning the FA Cup will be Number One greatest day - it would be for me.

Obviously Europe is amazing, FA Cup in 57 great, hell even the double in the 1897! But they're all before my time, so however proud I am of our history I never had that feeling of living it. I want that feeling and if it comes it'll be MY number one Villa memory.

Don't disagree and it will be for all you young ones, but for me (and maybe some of us) it will be a great day in our history but not the 2nd greatest. and if we win Tim and Lerner will go down as legends for winning a cup others failed. Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 1

So what do we think was the key turning point? For me there were two: Benteke scoring that last minute penalty against West Brom and again Benteke scoring that late free-kick against QPR last month. If either of those went against us I think we'd be down.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

I think I have been accused of overreacting on here (or maybe posting before typing, letting passion run my head). So what I am going to say is going to sound odd... I don't care about the result today. I've argued with Mantis a few times about his use of the phrase 'the bigger picture', but this time I am going to use that phrase. I've not been Sherwood's biggest fan, and he seemed to get it all wrong today, but I think there is a lot more to look at than a 6-1 defeat - where we could certainly look at another catastrophe from Vlaar to help us along the way.

So, although the result was bad, I think and hope it will piss the players off enough to want to make up for it - and I hope they redouble their efforts for the last two games, and who knows?

The bigger picture? Although I wasn't sure about Sherwood at the beginning, I gave him a chance. I've seen the team go from regular results and performances like today, to a team full of fight and spirit playing good football. I think, with a little bit of money spent in the right places and no more calamity Vlaar, and perhaps some proper full backs, we should be having a lot more fun next season in the league. The important thing is to see how Sherwood picks us up from this - his first real negative - and we can learn a lot from that starting next week.

UTV!

• Like 2

So what do we think was the key turning point? For me there were two: Benteke scoring that last minute penalty against West Brom and again Benteke scoring that late free-kick against QPR last month. If either of those went against us I think we'd be down.

This totally agree we'd have lost against baggies think we'd have been demoralised!

I had to thank my boggies mates for being the catalyst to the rest if our season tonight. The two results we got from them gave helped us secure premier league survival and an fa cup final.

Safe to say I think the turning point was those games, lol

• Like 1

He has done a remarkable job so far. If someone would have told me after the Hull game that we would stay up with a game to go and be in an FA Cup final I'd have thought they were either stoned out their heads or about 5 slices short of a loaf. He inherited a side on it's knees in terms of confidence and totally clueless in terms of how to create a decent chance never mind score a goal. To have turned that around in such a short space of time and have us playing at times some lovely football is one hell of an achievement.

Today's result was disappointing there is no doubting that but hey shit happens and has happened to far better teams than us, under far more experienced managers who had been at clubs for more than the limited time Sherwood has. It was one of them days when every mistake was punished. I won't let it gloss over what Sherwood has done here so far and won't let it cloud my judgement in terms of what I beleive he can do with a pre season and a handful of his own additions. Before all that though lets win the FA Cup :-)

Top post agree wholeheartedly!

He has done a remarkable job so far. If someone would have told me after the Hull game that we would stay up with a game to go and be in an FA Cup final I'd have thought they were either stoned out their heads or about 5 slices short of a loaf. He inherited a side on it's knees in terms of confidence and totally clueless in terms of how to create a decent chance never mind score a goal. To have turned that around in such a short space of time and have us playing at times some lovely football is one hell of an achievement.

Today's result was disappointing there is no doubting that but hey shit happens and has happened to far better teams than us, under far more experienced managers who had been at clubs for more than the limited time Sherwood has. It was one of them days when every mistake was punished. I won't let it gloss over what Sherwood has done here so far and won't let it cloud my judgement in terms of what I beleive he can do with a pre season and a handful of his own additions. Before all that though lets win the FA Cup :-)

Top post agree wholeheartedly!

Brilliant post. My sentiments exactly.

.......If he isn't a miracle worker he's the next best thing....incredible feat.

unlike Pearson who did do well also, but got them in the mess in the first place.....Tim Didn't.

I couldn't care less about todays result. This is not his team, this is not a squad that have spent long periods of time working with the manager.

It was a shit result during a magnificent period for us. **** it. The chances of that back 5 playing together next year is slim. We're on to bigger and better things now.

Edited by DCJonah

We most likely would've been relegated if we'd kept with Lambert but that has nothing to do with today's result. Sherwood messed up and deserves criticism today for it.

Haha why? We've survived, job complete. Today's result means nothing.

Why some are so eager to want to have a go at him is beyond me.

Still want Gill here ahead of him?

He has done a remarkable job so far. If someone would have told me after the Hull game that we would stay up with a game to go and be in a FA Cup final I'd have thought they were either stoned out their heads or about 5 slices short of a loaf. He inherited a side on it's knees in terms of confidence and totally clueless in terms of how to create a decent chance never mind score a goal. To have turned that around in such a short space of time and have us playing at times some lovely football is one hell of an achievement.

Agree 110%. The only thing I could possibly add is that Tim mentioned there would be days like these (although I doubt he had quite this sort of result in mind) and thanks for giving us our pride and our club back Tim!

• Like 1

We most likely would've been relegated if we'd kept with Lambert but that has nothing to do with today's result. Sherwood messed up and deserves criticism today for it.

Why are you so surprised that people are criticising one of the worst villa performances many of us have ever seen?
  • Like 1

Why are you so surprised that people are criticising one of the worst villa performances many of us have ever seen?

Because it makes no difference. I keep reading he deserves criticism. Why? Why do you want to go out of your way to criticise him. He's done a great job and completed the difficult task set for him. Why do you want to criticise him after that? What do you get from it after we've survived?

Its not his team, its not something he's built over years. He's come into a difficult situation and been excellent. It hasn't always been great. So what?

• Like 1

Â