The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Hats off to Tim - a tricky job well done and not achieved by the Pulis/Allardyce school of football either.

Hopefully a good day out at Wembley will put the icing on the cake ahead of a very interesting new season.

• Like 1

One thing that worries me is that he might be a bit Redknappesque in the transfer market, going by some of the names we've been linked with and the way Given has been chosen over Guzan and the talk of offering Bent a new deal.

Probably. This is why it's important the club still push on for a DOF and do not make the mistake of leaving everything to him. Just not worth the risk. I guess this will depend on the ownership.
  • Like 1

I had my doubts, then I loved him, then today's result happened and I was sad but now I'm happy again.

I'm still a little cautious going forward but for now let's just enjoy it. He has tried to bring a feel good factor back and has (just about) succeeded.

Thanks Tim.

Even world class managers like Fergie and Wenger have been hammered in the premier league, Mourinho once lost to Barca 5-0, there's no law to say you can't win the next game and we can v Burnley so response is what happens next week and of course on May 30th.

• Like 2

That's just me guessing from what's been written in the papers regarding summer targets though. For all I know his plans could be completely different.

Yeah, that is just paper talk. Let's wait and see.

• Like 1

I had my doubts, then I loved him, then today's result happened and I was sad but now I'm happy again.

I'm still a little cautious going forward but for now let's just enjoy it. He has tried to bring a feel good factor back and has (just about) succeeded.

Thanks Tim.

Even world class managers like Fergie and Wenger have been hammered in the premier league, Mourinho once lost to Barca 5-0, there's no law to say you can't win the next game and we can v Burnley so response is what happens next week and of course on May 30th.

Mourinho lost 5-3 to spurs this season. One bad game can happen. Sherwood's done his job of keeping us safe + bonuses like good football and the fa cup final. Keep it coming!

• Like 2

Thanks Tim.

I think he's really succeeded in bringing a feel good factor back.

Will you ever stop picking holes in others posts I wonder? :)

I really like Tim and don't deny he has bought it back but he has had his bad days that has made me stop and think. Hence why I'm cautiously optimistic going forward rather than blindly positive.

I can still enjoy today though and appreciate the work Tim has done since being here without getting down on my knee in front of him.

• Like 2

Thank you Tim.

You've seen us safe which we wouldn't have been under the previous regime and to be honest, I didn't think you could do it.

Thanks for proving me wrong. Now win the FA cup as icing on the cake ;)

Thanks Tim.

I really like Tim and don't deny he has bought it back but he has had his bad days that has made me stop and think. Hence why I'm cautiously optimistic going forward rather than blindly positive.

I can still enjoy today though and appreciate the work Tim has done since being here without getting down on my knee in front of him.

I don't think you have to drop on a knee for him, I'm just surprised you think the feel good factor has just about come back.  The feeling round villa park and at wembley since his arrival has been brilliant.

It really shouldn't

The fact we've looked completely different (most of the time) means he deserves extra credit.

We'll see. I believed when he was announced that he was the right choice to provide the short-term boost. I had no idea how he'd do beyond that.

Saying this, he has impressed me tactically. I expected a return to basics approach and a resolute application of an orthodox 4-4-2 until the end of the season at least. And he did attempt that at first but from the Albion home game, some of the football has been rather intricate at times. The midfield dynamic that he has formulated is our best for years. I still haven't quite gotten over the completeness of the team performance against Liverpool. Sherwood has got it wrong too obviously; the disjointed display against Swansea, the inability to react in the second-half against QPR and the sheer hopeless nature today. But all in all, it's been encouraging. I'm intrigued to see how he continues to evolve our play - the current 4-3-2-1 shell is something I hope we stick with.

However, we should remember that Sherwood has never had a full season as manager. This will be his preseason and first taste of transfer activity. So don't get me wrong, I'm quite optimistic for next season but at the same time, it is difficult to predict. Unknown territory for the manager.

• Like 2

We were dead and buried. Sherwood has kept us up; that is what he was brought in to do.

Great achievement. Hopefully onwards and upwards now.

But what a day. From the dejection of a thorough thrashing, to the elation of guaranteeing staying up. 

• Like 1

Indeed 4-4-2 in the cup final please sitting deep counter with Gabby.

Today was a shocker with the gung-ho football and can only actually compare us to Arsenal who have been done over by big scorelines doing the same. You never see Chelsea, Real, Barca etc losing by silly scorelines it just doesn't happen. 

Cons;

Still tactically naive, will get heavily smashed with gungho approach

Rates Richardson

Doesn't rate Gil

The Given/ Guzan thing feels like a mates decision rather than a team one

Tactically naive because of today? What about the games we've won and dominated? Do those tactics get ignored?

Tactics isn't purely how we set up the team.

I have no problem with how we set up today even thought it was, evidently, poor. That happens.

What I have a problem with today is a refusal or inability to change the system. It was obvious to everyone watching after 15 minutes that we were in serious trouble, yet we played the same way for the whole match. Even the subs were like for like.

Tactically naive may be a harsh way to phrase it. I think generally he's been pretty tactically sound for us. But there have been weaknesses and today exposed them massively.

Its a blip in an otherwise fine record for us. But the fact remains that tactically today was diabolical. Hopefully he'll learn from it. I think he will.

• Like 2

Tactically naive may be a harsh way to phrase it. I think generally he's been pretty tactically sound for us. But there have been weaknesses and today exposed them massively.

I agree with most of that but it's the phrase tactically naive that I disagree with, like you say it's a harsh phrase to use towards him.

We've had games that we've dominated and we've had games that have been poor or we've been unable to change.  But if we're honest that goes for every manager outside probably the top 3.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

Indeed 4-4-2 in the cup final please sitting deep counter with Gabby.

Today was a shocker with the gung-ho football and can only actually compare us to Arsenal who have been done over by big scorelines doing the same. You never see Chelsea, Real, Barca etc losing by silly scorelines it just doesn't happen. 

Spurs 5-Chelsea 3?

was a bad day at the office, every manager has them. We finished 6th and lost 7-1 not too long back

FWIW 3 goals in 2.5 minutes killed the game and dont think Sherwood could have done anything to really stop that, If was 3 goals over a longer period then you could point finger at him

• Like 2

Thanks Tim.

I don't think you have to drop on a knee for him, I'm just surprised you think the feel good factor has just about come back.  The feeling round villa park and at wembley since his arrival has been brilliant.

That's up to you to feel like that, I'm just saying thanks to Tim and posting my own take on it. I've not said the feel good factor hasnt come for all just that for me its been slower.

Results against stoke, Newcastle, Swansea, QPR and Saints today have made me stop from being 100% confident but I support him and hope he continues his success.

was a bad day at the office, every manager has them. We finished 6th and lost 7-1 not too long back

FWIW 3 goals in 2.5 minutes killed the game and dont think Sherwood could have done anything to really stop that, If was 3 goals over a longer period then you could point finger at him

We got torn apart for 90 minutes today. Yes the hat trick put the game beyond us. But it wasn't as if we were in the game for the rest of it.

We got absolute panned today, from start to finish.

Thanks Tim.

That's up to you to feel like that, I'm just saying thanks to Tim and posting my own take on it. I've not said the feel good factor hasnt come for all just that for me its been slower.

Results against stoke, Newcastle, Swansea, QPR and Saints today have made me stop from being 100% confident but I support him and hope he continues his success.

Fair enough.  I read it as the feel good factor on the whole.

Â