The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sherwood being able to get performances out of NZog and Gabby in such a short time speaks volumes to me. Lambert couldn't manage it in nearly three seasons. Also his goal tally up to where he was sacked just cannot be forgiven,

• Like 1

It might speak volumes about Sherwood but equally you could argue it speaks volumes about Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia and their attitude.

They are good examples to use actually. Most of the time it would be two from three of Gabby, Weimann or NZog that would play you'd think on paper either side of Benteke. It never worked that way under Lambert though. I lost count of the amount of times I was at games pulling my hair out as the supposed wide forwards would spend more time in their own half tracking back than they would in the opposing teams half.

The natural instinct of Gabby, NZogbia, Weimann is not a defensive one. The fact they then played that way was therefore down to instructions they had received from the manager. The same could be said for the three centre mids we played under Lambert. They would all occupy a very narrow area of the pitch yards in front of our centre backs. Again I don't believe that was the players simply playing their natural game it was down to instructions from the manager.

For too long under Lambert we played like a team whose first thought was to protect the point we started the game with rather than to go after the three on offer. That is borne out by the lack of chances we created and goals we scored.

Under Sherwood it is as though these players have been let off the leash. Gabby is now being played as an out and out centre forward, NZogbias first thought and movement is now a forward one. The midfield now pass and move forwards rather than pass sideways then move backwards. The whole emphasis is now on going after the win and that is down to Sherwood. He has been like a breath of fresh air.

• Like 4

It's a valid point regarding Gabby as he's been misused for years.

But not N'Zogbia. He's just been shit. 

And it wouldn't surprise me if his sudden upturn in performance is more to do with the fact he needs a new contract soon than the new manager.

Well I said we needed a few players to suddenly find form and predicted that N'Zogbia and Agbonlahor would do so towards the end of this season and I hope they can keep it up but I'm not counting on them keeping it up beyond this season save for a game here or there.

Sherwood being able to get performances out of NZog and Gabby in such a short time speaks volumes to me. Lambert couldn't manage it in nearly three seasons. Also his goal tally up to where he was sacked just cannot be forgiven,

Yes - fair point.

Gabby was often played in a position that didn't suit his game.

N'zog, if he got in the team, didn't seem to have the freedom in Lambert's dull formation.

Sherwood deserves the credit, up to now, for getting performances out of these players and setting the team up to play to their strengths.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

What sort of player do you think Tim will go for, if of course, we stay up.

From what I've seen so far almost certainly pacey players, I don't think we're finished in the full back positions, bacuna offers us one solution and Hutton another, rare breed finding one who can do both sides of it though

We need to replace vlaar for a start and if we can't get Sinclair permanently then that's where I see the money going

What sort of player do you think Tim will go for, if of course, we stay up.

I said before I think he'll be overly ambitious.

Which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how canny he is.

it could either end up like Big Sam at Bolton with a few coups and clever signings of slightly past it but still very good big names.

Or it could go the way of Redknapp, not so big names signed on huge contracts that will be crap.

That's based on nothing but a hunch, of course!

I think the fact he has be able to get a performance out of Cleverly makes his the greatest manager in the world.

I'm wondering if the DOF will happen, and will choose the players (maybe with Tim having a small say).

I'd like us to look for somebody who can score more from midfield.

This is only guesswork, but he doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would work that well with a director of football.  That said, he doesn't have much experience in the transfer market, so who knows.

Well I said we needed a few players to suddenly find form and predicted that N'Zogbia and Agbonlahor would do so towards the end of this season and I hope they can keep it up but I'm not counting on them keeping it up beyond this season save for a game here or there.

I think T.S is the sort of manager that will not put up with that,he will tell them what is expected of them and if they dont deliver they wont play. 

• Like 1

Praise is due....but lets keep it in perspective ....this season could still end in disaster - Sure we have had a bounce over the 2 albion games and the sunderland game. Its well documented how poor sunderland were - but its kind of gone unoticed that Albion IMO were pretty poor also.

2 more wins and the odd point from somewhere will keep us up - and then it would be so far so good for TS. But that hasn't happened yet - Im hopeful we can take another massive stride on Saturday.

He's made an encouraging start - but lets get 100% safe - and see what the summer brings before shouting to loudly...

Is it not a case of Paddy R does all the ground work and then presents to Tim & if Tim oks we go for it.

I would doubt that TS would be that hands off to be honest. I don't fully understand Riley's role - and who he has been instrumental to bringing to the club - he's not long returned from Liverpool, whose transfrred were being riddiculed in the national press at the back end of last year. TS will want almost total control of transfers IMO

Â