The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I liked the bit on the video where Reilly taps Fox on the shoulder and they give each other a high five after the first goal. Gives the reassuring impression that they are all really exuberant about this new chapter.

The passion's good to see, although it's acted passion at the moment; there's no way he can be genuinely emotionally invested in the club, at this early stage (I love that Dick Dastardly "Drat and double drat!" air punch at 0:10!).  He knows the cameras are on him, knows that one of the things a lot of Villa fans found objectionable about Paul Lambert was his inability to show much emotion over the course of a whole match, he's out to show he's not the same, and you can't blame him for that.  Genuine emotion will follow for sure, because Sherwood has an open, expressive character.

I liked the bit on the video where Reilly taps Fox on the shoulder and they give each other a high five after the first goal. Gives the reassuring impression that they are all really exuberant about this new chapter.

The passion's good to see, although it's acted passion at the moment; there's no way he can be genuinely emotionally invested in the club, at this early stage (I love that Dick Dastardly "Drat and double drat!" air punch at 0:10!). He knows the cameras are on him, knows that one of the things a lot of Villa fans found objectionable about Paul Lambert was his inability to show much emotion over the course of a whole match, he's out to show he's not the same, and you can't blame him for that. Genuine emotion will follow for sure, because Sherwood has an open, expressive character.

From what I remember lambert celebrated our goals pretty passionately, probably because it was a long time in between them!

Sometimes managers just need to find the right club, and vice versa.

You never know, Villa and TS might just be that right combination.

Totally agree. Gregory was a fit at the time. This has the exact same feel. We were deflated then as we are now and the whole club needed a lift. Same feel and I hope same result.

• Like 1

The passion's good to see, although it's acted passion at the moment; there's no way he can be genuinely emotionally invested in the club, at this early stage

A manager being passionate about his job doesn't demand emotional attachment to the club as a prerequisite. Or by this argument, a player passionately celebrating a debut goal is staged also?

Edited by Isa

A manager being passionate about his job doesn't demand emotional attachment to the club as a prerequisite. Or by this argument, a player passionately celebrating a debut goal is staged also?

It's a bit different, in the sense that a debut goal is concrete evidence of/reward for 'work.'  If you've been bought to score goals, and you score one on your debut, you celebrate because, beyond the rush of getting cheered at by fans going ape, you're showing people you can do your job, and it immediately goes some way to justifying a club's investment in you.  Sherwood has neither had time to emotionally connect to Villa (that may or may not come; it doesn't have to, as you say, but some managers do develop an attachment), nor has he done any sustained 'work' yet.

Let's not get carried away, there's a lot of work ahead if him but I hope he and Villa are great match for years to come.

Who's getting carried away?.if they'd have put this kind of performance in with lambert more often we'd be saying the same. You know where I stood on lambert. and I don't get carried away one way or the other but I can see the difference. If it goes all pear shaped then we'll all have egg on our faces just think it won't just my humble opinion!

The passion's good to see, although it's acted passion at the moment; there's no way he can be genuinely emotionally invested in the club, at this early stage (I love that Dick Dastardly "Drat and double drat!" air punch at 0:10!). He knows the cameras are on him, knows that one of the things a lot of Villa fans found objectionable about Paul Lambert was his inability to show much emotion over the course of a whole match, he's out to show he's not the same, and you can't blame him for that. Genuine emotion will follow for sure, because Sherwood has an open, expressive character.
Ever stopped to think that he's so emotional because it means he's got a cup quarter final, and possibly more, to look forward to as a result of this match?

Exactly.

He's got a chance to manage a team at Wembley and its made his first game in charge a bit easier than a loss would have.

Ever stopped to think that he's so emotional because it means he's got a cup quarter final, and possibly more, to look forward to as a result of this match?

I'm sure there's quite a bit of that, too; an F.A. Cup quarter final is an exciting prospect, especially for a new manager, but I still think it's partly a demonstration of passion, because of the spotlight his first appearance at a game as Villa manager will have attracted.

Â