New manager

reykjavik

But back to having no balls for the local press. 

On Lerner:

I'm lost. What are they yapping about?

• Like 3

I don't want Tim Sherwood anywhere near our club in this state, what has he ever proved? He lost 10 out of 28 games for a very solid Tottenham-side, he has never manage before.... We cannot afford the risk to bring him in when we are in the relegation zone.

I would actually much prefer Ole Gunnar Solskjær as our coach, he at least has some experience from the doldrums. Not that I want him here now... but he is a better choice than Sherwood.

• Like 1

I see that CIty and Man Utd are meant to be eyeing the Real Madrid Manager, we should be sorted by the time that particular merry go round starts though.

Whadafuq

Say United get Ancelotti that leaves Van Gaal needing a job, we might not get him ourselves but might get the guy who he replaces at some European club perhaps. That's what I meant by merry-go-round. Despite people making jokes about lack of Premier League experience I do have a feeling that we're going to pull a big name out the hat, my guess is Klinsmann. Either that or someone from leftfield.

Oooookaaayy, must just be me then that doesn't see a fantasy future hypothesis as having any bearing on our search for a manager, I think you're fishing in the wrong pool dude

It's only football so just a bit of harmless fun so if things don't go as I think then no harm done to me. But I do think we really could be getting a big name, you don't get rid of Lambert for just anyone.

Rightyo

I'm just kind of hoping that useless is joking with us, because it's fairly clear to see that Man United and Man City's situations with their respective managers doesn't have any impact on us. None.

We don't get big names anymore useless. I hope you get the fact that in terms of prospective employers, we're on a par with Stoke City or Sunderland? Less in fact.

But have you not read what I actually wrote? I'm not saying we'd get the United or City manager but perhaps the manager that maybe Van Gaal would replace at another European club if  he were to leave United. And don't worry about what facts I get, it's only football : )

I can't tell if you're joking, optimistic, naive or just good old plain nuts

In any event can you hook me up with whatever you're smoking?

• Like 1

Lambert to Guardiola would be an organic progession. Ronaldo and messi would be more of a shock to the system but as you say would probably keep us in the division.

Trouble would be if we signed those two, other players would want matching wages and we'd have an upset dressing room. This never happened when we were signing players like Bowery.

I don't think bannedfromHandV was saying that we could sign those guys just making the point that if we did we'd have a good chance of staying up. I don't think the other players would want matching wages but if Messi and Ronaldo helped us to climb up the table and bring us relative success in the following seasons then they'd probably want a pay rise to reflect their contribution.

I see that CIty and Man Utd are meant to be eyeing the Real Madrid Manager, we should be sorted by the time that particular merry go round starts though.

Whadafuq

Say United get Ancelotti that leaves Van Gaal needing a job, we might not get him ourselves but might get the guy who he replaces at some European club perhaps. That's what I meant by merry-go-round. Despite people making jokes about lack of Premier League experience I do have a feeling that we're going to pull a big name out the hat, my guess is Klinsmann. Either that or someone from leftfield.

Oooookaaayy, must just be me then that doesn't see a fantasy future hypothesis as having any bearing on our search for a manager, I think you're fishing in the wrong pool dude

It's only football so just a bit of harmless fun so if things don't go as I think then no harm done to me. But I do think we really could be getting a big name, you don't get rid of Lambert for just anyone.

Rightyo

I'm just kind of hoping that useless is joking with us, because it's fairly clear to see that Man United and Man City's situations with their respective managers doesn't have any impact on us. None.

We don't get big names anymore useless. I hope you get the fact that in terms of prospective employers, we're on a par with Stoke City or Sunderland? Less in fact.

But have you not read what I actually wrote? I'm not saying we'd get the United or City manager but perhaps the manager that maybe Van Gaal would replace at another European club if  he were to leave United. And don't worry about what facts I get, it's only football : )

Oh no, I got the point you were making. Just to make my point clear though, I said their respective managerial situations do not impact us in any way. I mean, a knock on effect that renders a maybe up and coming manager at zenit St Petersburg or -take your pick in Europe- available means absolutely nothing to villa.

Some are mentioning Klopp because of the current bundesliga status. Some are mentioning curbishley. Out of the two, and be honest, which do you thinking we'll end up with?

I can't tell if you're joking, optimistic, naive or just good old plain nuts

In any event can you hook me up with whatever you're smoking?

Optimistic would probably be the best description although I must admit that's been a little dampend by that Sherwood Guardian article. But I'm not so sure what's so crazy about thinking we could get someone in like Klinsmann in until the end of the season.

The more I read this thread, the more I fear we're going down, down, down. I guess a big part of me is beginning to see that the long-term lack of investment by Lerner is simply coming home to roost, and the lack of real credible choices for manager right now is a function of less of a bad manager market as a desperate lack of pull on our part, We're just not very attractive, and there's no money, and the owner wants out. We're sunk.

Please, someone, tell me how wrong I am! My assumptions are all off, right? Rafa wants to jump the Napoli ship and come save us really, right? Because "we're a big club" and all that, right?

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

English football journalism, such a flippin' joke ... not one SINGLE SOURCE identified, not one. It's all "Villa think" this and "the feeling is" -- yeah, really? Since when do football clubs think?

Journalists don't reveal their sources, rather their reputations are based on the eventual validity of what they report. Stuart James is a good journalist.

The more I read this thread, the more I fear we're going down, down, down. I guess a big part of me is beginning to see that the long-term lack of investment by Lerner is simply coming home to roost, and the lack of real credible choices for manager right now is a function of less of a bad manager market as a desperate lack of pull on our part, We're just not very attractive, and there's no money, and the owner wants out. We're sunk.

Please, someone, tell me how wrong I am!

You're, like, so wrong.

The TV money will allow Lerner to make a profit and still buy in football talent from other parts of Europe, which is what everyone will be doing now. Our squad is decent enough, and any manager will enjoy a honeymoon phase with the fans. We are about the most attractive proposition going for any currently unemployed manager.

• Like 2

A question for those who keep suggesting we make a move for Klopp. Are you taking the piss or do you not understand the size of Borussia Dortmund as a club or how highly rated Klopp is in world football?

Kinda wondering the same myself, not on this forum long enough to know when people are taking this piss or not but this is bloody ridiculous if people are genuine

English football journalism, such a flippin' joke ... not one SINGLE SOURCE identified, not one. It's all "Villa think" this and "the feeling is" -- yeah, really? Since when do football clubs think?

Journalists don't reveal their sources, rather their reputations are based on the eventual validity of what they report. Stuart James is a good journalist.

If you like that sort of thing, I'm sure he's fab. I find it pretty execrable.

I suppose this is stating the obvious, but the harder I study it, the more I think the manager issue is a very serious problem and there just are NO obvious candidates who a) are able to come to Villa Park; B) want to come; c) would ever be asked.

Regarding Klinsmann ...

I have seen absolutely ZERO credible information to suggest concretely that there is a snowball's chance that Klinsmann would come to Villa.

Can someone show me the evidence otherwise, apart from bookies' guesses? Am I missing something?

Serving as chief of the US National squad, unless I'm mistaken, probably would pay more, esp. when you consider various endorsement deals, etc etc., depending on what kind deal he could get with Lerner. He currently makes £1.5 million as head coach of US soccer -- I think that's about $1m more a year than Lambert was making this year.

I suppose this is stating the obvious, but the harder I study it, the more I think the manager issue is a very serious problem and there just are NO obvious candidates who a) are able to come to Villa Park; B) want to come; c) would ever be asked.

Regarding Klinsmann ...

I have seen absolutely ZERO credible information to suggest concretely that there is a snowball's chance that Klinsmann would come to Villa.

Can someone show me the evidence otherwise, apart from bookies' guesses? Am I missing something?

Serving as chief of the US National squad, unless I'm mistaken, probably would pay more, esp. when you consider various endorsement deals, etc etc., depending on what kind deal he could get with Lerner. He currently makes £1.5 million as head coach of US soccer -- I think that's about $1m more a year than Lambert was making this year.

he has been linked everytime since Lerner took over in 2006, i imagine its just lazy journalism

Oh no, I got the point you were making. Just to make my point clear though, I said their respective managerial situations do not impact us in any way. I mean, a knock on effect that renders a maybe up and coming manager at zenit St Petersburg or -take your pick in Europe- available means absolutely nothing to villa.

Some are mentioning Klopp because of the current bundesliga status. Some are mentioning curbishley. Out of the two, and be honest, which do you thinking we'll end up with?

I don't get why your asking me about Klopp it seems your just trying to put words into my mouth for a lark. At best I've said he'd be a good manager. All I've been saying is that I've got a feeling we'll get a big name that doesn't mean I think we'll poach the Real Madrid Manager or whoever, I've also said I wouldn't be surprised if it's a name from leftfield my suggestion would be someone like Dragan Stojković. As for Curbishley I don't think he'll manage again.

Please, someone, tell me how wrong I am!

You're, like, so wrong.

The TV money will allow Lerner to make a profit and still buy in football talent from other parts of Europe, which is what everyone will be doing now. Our squad is decent enough, and any manager will enjoy a honeymoon phase with the fans. We are about the most attractive proposition going for any currently unemployed manager.

Thank you for helping me to patch up my little corner of this ship of fools. Onward we sail!  :) It's very hard to keep thinking positively if you're not careful, that's for sure.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1

But back to having no balls for the local press. 

On Lerner:

I'm lost. What are they yapping about?

First person says well done for turning on Lambert, the journalist with the mail says 'it was about time, and a decision for the editor', guy replies asking if they can do the same about Lerner and the mail journalist says it won't be happening, that turning on Lerner is 'unjustified' at this stage.

Absolute bollocks. Or, seeing as they have none, a pile of shit.

• Like 1

With little chance of any future funds, its nailed on that any manager with a reasonably high profile will not touch us with a barge pole.

We will end up with another....grateful soul

Whadafuq

You do on VT - that was the name of the preferred manager on here last week - he was the popular fans choice. Everyone said they'd have anyone instead of lambert - don't know which club he manages but must be good as he's the popular choice.
  • Like 1