The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

I think Mr cartoon should be informed that Muslims aren't a race. He falls into the criticism of Islam = racist trap

Race is a social construct. Unfortunately for all internet warriors that talk down on Muslims on base of their religion, racism has a much broader meaning than a technicality, which you are merely arguing. The intent of your statement is used to derail conversations about Islamophobia and racism. How do you make up races? Different skin colour? Country specific? Measuring size of limbs? East vs. West? Religion? Thankfully, someone says it better than me:

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve heard Islamophobes and some well-intentioned non-Muslims make this argument whenever Islamophobia is addressed. The purpose, of course, is to derail conversations about Islamophobia and racism.  I’ve noticed the pattern of this response for quite a long time in workplaces, classrooms, on internet forums and blogs, etc.  You can picture the scenario involving an Islamophobe telling a Muslim that “all terrorists are Muslim.”  The Muslim is insulted and calls the remark “racist.”  The Islamophobe steps up into the Muslim’s face and says, “It’s not racist!  Islam is not a race, idiot!”  He turns around and walks away, claiming victory for himself and starts high-fiving his buddies, who are like, “Oh man, you are so effing awesome!  You shut that Mozlem down!”

I wonder how Islamophobes expect Muslims to react after they make this pathetic argument.  Are we supposed to look surprised and realize, “Oh my God, Islam is not a race?  Really?  You mean I’ve been practicing Islam this whole time and didn’t know it was a religion?”  Yes, thank you, Captain Obvious, we know full well that Islam is not a race.  We know Islam, like any religion, is open to people of all racial backgrounds, including to those who are white (*gasp*).  However, what is also true is that Islam is racialized by white supremacist settler states, which means Muslims are cast as threatening racial Others. Take some time to understand this. The key word here is racialization, where racial characteristics and racist attitudes are assigned to groups and religions that are not races. No, Islam is not a race, but it is constructed as a race and the manner in which it is demonized is an extremely racial process.

Link

• Like 2

White supremacist settler states? al-Wahhab will have used a few choice words to describe the Ottomans,but I doubt he would have used "white supremacist settler states" amongst all the cursing and swearing.

• Like 1

It's not really any of the above,  it's a shared idea/ shared misconception that's all.  

The fact that it's nonsense is not relevant but that's important to help it spread (facts are not needed for example when talking about one of the Gods),  it's impossible to offend an idea as far as I know.  It is not a real thing so if millions are offended by a cartoon,  this is not a tangible thing but a fault within those people who subscribe to the nonsense.  If all followers of one religion die overnight,  so does the religion,  it will never exist again.  We talk about it like it's a "thing",  it exists in there heads only and for that I feel sorrow and pity for them all.  

Somewhat off-topic, but isn't Google Earth brilliant? You can zoom right in on Danmartin and go to street view by CDT Printers.

Much quieter when that picture was taken though!

There appears to have been a shooting in Paris too around a corner shop.

Edit: Appears a hostage has been taken in port de Vincennes in Paris.

Edited by Ads

White supremacist settler states? al-Wahhab will have used a few choice words to describe the Ottomans,but I doubt he would have used "white supremacist settler states" amongst all the cursing and swearing.

I did not edit it out, but knew some would react to that wording, instead of the overall message of the quote. That tells me more about you than anything else.

I did not edit it out, but knew some would react to that wording, instead of the overall message of the quote. That tells me more about you than anything else.

You like making thinly veiled insults don't you?

I thought the whole quote to be a jumbled mesh of half baked ideas to be honest, but that bit in particular struck me as odd.

I consider the House Saud and its desire to be seen as the defender of the faith in its war with the Twelvers as being the ground zero in the production line of Salafists and Takfiri head choppers. This being based on the three tenants of its Wahhabist creed (one King, one faith, one mosque etc, etc) and the geological fortune of being sat on billions in hydrocarbons to make these radical ideas an exportable reality.

Given the Ottomans and their decadent ways were the main focus of al-Wahhab's anger and the development of Wahhabism, I found it odd that "white supremacist settler states" found its way into that rambling quote.

It would be nice if you could debate the issue with posters for once, rather than making unnecessary remarks.

Ridiculously huge SWAT team at that supermarket. Can't be many combat cops left available if somebody pulls off another attack elsewhere in the city.

Edited by mjmooney

He falls into the criticism of Islam = racist trap

I'll have to go back and reread all of it but I thought he was claiming that they were racist not because they were criticizing Islam but because he thought they were racist and expressing a particular brand of French xenophobia.

Now, he may be very wrong* but it was an interestingly put argument, I thought (at least I thought that in the early hours :) )

Isn't there a trap that's possible to fall in to that defends xenophobia as 'valid criticism of x'? Perhaps there are lots of grey areas?

*Edit: Not least because I've seen the contrary argument put (i.e. that they weren't with other cartoons that are intended to back up that argument) - including in the comments section on that page.

Edited by snowychap

And just now, a truly comical bit of footage of some of said SWAT team trying to walk up a slippery grass bank and all falling arse over tit, Keystone Cops style.

• Like 1

You like making thinly veiled insults don't you?

I thought the whole quote to be a jumbled mesh of half baked ideas to be honest, but that bit in particular struck me as odd.

I consider the House Saud and its desire to be seen as the defender of the faith in its war with the Twelvers as being the ground zero in the production line of Salafists and Takfiri head choppers. This being based on the three tenants of its Wahhabist creed (one King, one faith, one mosque etc, etc) and the geological fortune of being sat on billions in hydrocarbons to make these radical ideas an exportable reality.

Given the Ottomans and their decadent ways were the main focus of al-Wahhab's anger and the development of Wahhabism, I found it odd that "white supremacist settler states" found its way into that rambling quote.

It would be nice if you could debate the issue with posters for once, rather than making unnecessary remarks.

I make as many unnecessary remarks as you do. I did not know al-Wahhabi was a dude in France, and that the Ottomans where the rulers there. Are any of these still alive? Should I bring in Hitler, Mussolini and Franco? Now where in my remarks or what I have quoted has there been said anything about those two.

If you disagree with a very valid argumentation of racism, you are welcome to discuss it. I mean, it is not like Europe never had problems with being in a mess because of racism. If you really want to discuss white supremacy, we can talk about the black slaves in the US of A. Or the British Empire, which **** up many parts of the world, not least Africa and the Middle East. Or we can talk about something closer like how Islam works today in a specific country of your choosing, like France or Saudi Arabia or Turkey, and how Islamophobia affects Muslims growing up in France or Britain or Serbia. Or keep just on topic.

Â