The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Lot of learned folks on here so could someone enlighten me as to the logic of going after Islamic sites in such a big way during Ramadan.

I think Daesh don't give a hoot whether it's Ramadan or not.

EDIT: alternatively, most people get moody when they are hungry.

Edited by brommy
"You won't like me when I'm hungry", said Bruce.
  • Like 1

It would be similar to bombing the Vatican at Easter or any of the huge cathedrals across Europe at Easter or Xmas. I believe it was called "shock & awe" once upon a time. Someone at CNN forgot to check their email over the weekend I guess.

Edited by villakram

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

It would be similar to bombing the Vatican at Easter or any of the huge cathedrals across Europe at Easter or Xmas. I believe it was called "shock & awe" once upon a time. Someone at CNN forgot to check their email over the weekend I guess.

But wouldn't it be like Catholics bombing the Vatican at Easter?

4 hours ago, villakram said:

I'm aware of their point of view and ideas on how society should run and who should(not) exist therein.

I just don't care about that. I don't view it as important and I think they have been given far to much stature by taking them so seriously. Their worldview is simply not realistic and currently exists purely due to it being allowed to exist.... where allow means that they have the means to exist sans a patron or benefactor providing them with resources. There are many reasons for their existence, primary among them is the idea of throwing off the foreign yoke. Though sorting out which version of nonsense to believe in is also at the top of their agenda.

This is changing right now and has been for the past few months. They are running out of cash and their military capabilities are being steadily degraded. It is simply a matter of time until they start talking, or the right leader is removed and a replacement power nexus sees the sustainability of talking. So, basically ISIS are a big mess that has gotten out of control. It is now sort of being sorted out, but you'll note that it's not the Syrian state/Iraq/Iran/Russia who are dragging their feet.

So, we kill all the guys wearing ISIS jerseys, but, will this matter, e.g., Iraq, increasingly looks like it needs to fracture into 3 states and it looks like Syria will be partially divided between the Assad and then whatever portion the Kurds are allowed to keep. The Kurds are going to take ages to set up any sort of stable state. Yemen is in bits and pieces and the Israel mess is nowhere close to a solution. Political stability in Saudi is lower now than in a long time, and the strength of the theocratic regime in Iran will be slowly eroded by their increasing wealth... and then you have strongmen like Putin/Cameron :D/Hollande/Obama/ sticking their noses in. There are many groups who would/do see the benefit of ISIS persisting to bend the final outcome to their advantage, and if not ISIS then some other terrorist group.

I've got to be honest, I'm struggling to see the logic behind your train of thought.

I'm not really sure how it is possible not to take ISIS seriously. It doesn't matter if you or I think their world view is unrealistic or not, its what they think that counts and right now there seems to be rather a lot of people willing to give their lives for it. ISIS primary aim is not"throwing off the foreign yoke" it is nowhere near being that.

As for cash, I doubt very much they are running out. What they are running out of is supplies.

Yes they are being seriously degraded by military action but they are effectively a death cult, they aren't going to negotiate.

I personally find it hard to believe the Kurds will ever manage to set up a state, not on Turkey's doorstep. 

Anyway, this is now way way off the original point which is that we should talk with ISIS. Right now, that simply isn't an option and while that might change some considerable time down the line its impossible to see that being any time remotely soon.

• Like 1

Just now, brommy said:

But wouldn't it be like Catholics bombing the Vatican at Easter?

Not really. Its more like Catholics and Protestants blowing each other up at Christmas. Same religion, same sky fairy, different factions and rules of worship etc. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Not really. Its more like Catholics and Protestants blowing each other up at Christmas. Same religion, same sky fairy, different factions and rules of worship etc. 

The old 'My form of religion is better than yours'.

On a slightly not unrelated matter, what makes one old book of prophecy better than another? Is the Old Testament best because it is older and more 'original' than subsequent teachings? Is the New Testament better because it is updated and corrects the bugs of the Old Testament? Or is the Quran more modern and therefore better? So is Judaism, Christianity or Islam the best? Then which sect to follow? Or should one turn to a newer, perhaps cooler religion? Then again, my big belly might suit Buddhism. Someone new to religion could easily be confused.

Edited by brommy
....hism.

16 minutes ago, brommy said:

The old 'My form of religion is better than yours'.

On a slightly not unrelated matter, what makes one old book of prophecy better than another? Is the Old Testament best because it is older and more 'original' than subsequent teachings? Is the New Testament better because it is updated and corrects the bugs of the Old Testament? Or is the Quran more modern and therefore better? So is Judaism, Christianity or Islam the best? Then which sect to follow? Or should one turn to a newer, perhaps cooler religion? Then again, my big belly might suit Buddhism. Someone new to religion could easily be confused.

I'm definitely the wrong person to take that question given my previous technical term "sky fairies"

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm definitely the wrong person to take that question given my previous technical term "sky fairies"

No worries, I'm happy to take advice from anyone. :)

15 hours ago, villakram said:

This is changing right now and has been for the past few months. They are running out of cash and their military capabilities are being steadily degraded. It is simply a matter of time until they start talking, or the right leader is removed and a replacement power nexus sees the sustainability of talking. So, basically ISIS are a big mess that has gotten out of control. It is now sort of being sorted out, but you'll note that it's not the Syrian state/Iraq/Iran/Russia who are dragging their feet.

At best I would say the Iraqi armed forces are making small but repetitive inroads but to suggest they're running out of cash is intrinsically false, that their milirary capabilities are waining is also questionable. They've stepped up attacks outside Iraq largely in the last year. They killed 300+ in Iraq, Turkey and Bangladesh in less than a week. As for how much money do they have, well, given they are running the economy of the parts they control (old school tax to use the streets etc.) and pulled off the biggest robbery in history - $430m from the Iraqi Central Bank in Mosul just 2 years ago, I reckon they're probably okay for a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Sky fairy top trumps? Pretty sure Vishnu is the unbeatable card in the deck, that dude has four arms!

Durga beats that and rides around on a killer Lion. Maybe set her on ISIS?

Durga.jpg

There was also a grenade bombing last week here in Malaysia which has been revealed to be by ISIS and a foiled suicide bombing in Indonesia. Scary times man. Could be celebrating Eid tomorrow and have our shit blown up, who knows :( 

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

You wouldn't want to place the two side by side :)

Damn dyslexia always gets in the way of me feigning pedantry.

As you were, with your killer lion, good sir

• Like 2

Â