The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They are saying IS are behind the attack. I hope the Turks go and whipe them out the cowards

Given the duplicity of the Turkish state that almost certainly isn't going to happen. Turkey has largely sat on the sidelines on IS and will continue to do so because of their conflicting interests.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Given the duplicity of the Turkish state that almost certainly isn't going to happen. Turkey has largely sat on the sidelines on IS and will continue to do so because of their conflicting interests.

I know its crazy isnt it? They hate the PKK more than IS, even though I think this is second attack IS has done on them. The Turkish public need to apply pressure on their government to help take IS out. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I know its crazy isnt it? They hate the PKK more than IS, even though I think this is second attack IS has done on them. The Turkish public need to apply pressure on their government to help take IS out. 

I think it's about the 5th or 6th.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just not going to happen for a whole host of reasons i'm afraid.

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Duplicity, yup!

Turkey has not sat on the sidelines in any way whatsoever with regards to the happenings in Syria including directly assisting ISIS, e.g., helping them move and sell their oil. In addition, Turkey has backed the "moderate opposition"... where here in true Orwellian mode that includes AQ affiliates and various other jihadi groups. They also have their own political goals vis-a-vis preventing the formation of a Kurdish state. Now, Cameron and Obama have been backing some of the same people also, so :(

And maybe I'm being a little hard on Turkey here, as I should really be writing "Sultan" Erdogan.

• Like 1

Just now, villakram said:

Duplicity, yup!

Turkey has not sat on the sidelines in any way whatsoever with regards to the happenings in Syria including directly assisting ISIS, e.g., helping them move and sell their oil. In addition, Turkey has backed the "moderate opposition"... where here in true Orwellian mode that includes AQ affiliates and various other jihadi groups. They also have their own political goals vis-a-vis preventing the formation of a Kurdish state. Now, Cameron and Obama have been backing some of the same people also, so :(

And maybe I'm being a little hard on Turkey here, as I should really be writing "Sultan" Erdogan.

I very much had Kobane in mind when I made that comment about the sidelines where that is quite literally what they did, they may as well have pulled up an arm chair and passed the popcorn around.

I've previously made my thoughts on Turkey clear so won't repeat them but safe to say I agree with you.

• Like 1

On 29 June 2016 at 18:51, villakram said:

Duplicity, yup!

It's even better than that, seems the US is negotiating with Russia at the moment to officially team up and batter Al Nusra (Al Qaeda) while leaving some other moderate *guffaws* Islamist rebel groups alone.  

The West no longer has any kind of Mid East / CT policy anymore, we're just a making it up as we go along. 

• Like 1

In fairness I've no idea what you'd do in the Middle East now that doesn't just sow the demons of tomorrow.

It seems in many ways keeping a watching brief, exerting some 'soft' influence and dealing with the fallout that comes nearer to home is all we seem able to do without making things worse in some way or another.

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In fairness I've no idea what you'd do in the Middle East now that doesn't just sow the demons of tomorrow.

It seems in many ways keeping a watching brief, exerting some 'soft' influence and dealing with the fallout that comes nearer to home is all we seem able to do without making things worse in some way or another.

Well we (US/UK) are busily helping Saudi turn Yemen into the new Syria without the cameras. That's radicalising an entire generation in a country of 23 million. Not doing that would be an intelligent move.

That said I agree with you that it's insoluble. Absent divine intervention it's my view that most of the region is still on track for total meltdown. 

When did we last have a policy? I mean a thought out and coherent one? 

We've never known what we were doing in the region. I'm not sure we really had a clue what we were doing in any region post WWII. 

Wherever we carved up land and created countries we left behind ticking time bombs and puppet despots. 

The whole region is a tinder box that just needs the right spark and bang.

Still it's okay because Trump will just nuke.

• Like 1

We and our policies are a large part of the problem over the past 100 yrs. This generation is going to be the last where oil will be the dominant global energy source. Let's see what they do sans our choosing sides or dividing and conquering.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

With who? ISIS? 

Yes, try and get around a table with them and we might learn something. Not saying it will sort out all the issues, but what is there to lose?

Fighting fire with fire clearly isn't working.

Edited by Genie

Â