2015 Asian Cup

TRS-T

That's bloody ridiculous frankly, especially if you consider the fact that Perth is about 2 hours closer to most of Asia it would have been a perfect opportunity to promote WA as a tourist destination to a few billion people.

• Like 1

There is a large British ex pat community in Perth too, I guess there would have been considerable interest in attending games just from those guys. 

Edited by The_Rev

The third place playoff between Iraq and UAE was another great game and once again drew a very good crowd.

If Omar Abdulrahman is still playing in the UAE this time next year, it'd be a pity. Easily player of the tournament for me.

Has the skill to play at a high level in Europe but the general consensus seems to be that he's too comfortable at home, so isn't interested in moving abroad to really test himself and improve his game.

I don't know what the work permit requirements are for players from the Middle East to play in England, but if the kid decides to go to England, Villa should seriously take a look at him. Absolute gun player with brilliant technique and vision.

I've seen most of the games at this tournament and I have to say, only 1 or 2 have been boring or negative. All the games have had goals and we didn't have any draws.

Almost all of the nations have played decent attacking football which have made for enjoyable games and the crowds have been great.

The first major football tournament that Oz has hosted and it's been a great success I think.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3

Omar had trials with Manchester City in 2013 and they offered him a deal.  Just going from Wikipedia source notes it seems the deal fell through because of work permit issues.  I'd presume they would be easier to overcome now he is an established name rather than a youth prospect.  He's still only 23 so there is plenty of time for him to make the move to a major league.  I hope someone signs him just so we can see the inevitable OMAR COMIN' headline. 

• Like 3

Omar had trials with Manchester City in 2013 and they offered him a deal.  Just going from Wikipedia source notes it seems the deal fell through because of work permit issues.  I'd presume they would be easier to overcome now he is an established name rather than a youth prospect.  He's still only 23 so there is plenty of time for him to make the move to a major league.  I hope someone signs him just so we can see the inevitable OMAR COMIN' headline. 

thats why we were trying to sign Omar Cummings ;)

• Like 1

I have to say . . . when Australia turned up at the World Cup last year, looking at the squad they named, my immediate analysis was that they were the weakest team in the tournament and would get bummed in every fixture. I owe them an apology, they've done brilliantly, he's done a really good job creating a proper team, rather than relying on a couple of star names. I know that was 'at home', but it doesn't take anything away, that was a big big win. Congratulations Aussies. 

• Like 2

Amazing personal triumph for Ange Postecoglou as well. About 15 years ago he was sacked as Australia U17 coach and nobody would touch him for about a decade. Then he came back winning consecutive A-League titles with Brisbane Roar and now the Asian Cup. It's a big **** you to those in the media who wrote him off.

I'm just disappointed the FFA poached him before he could do the same with Melbourne Victory.

Amazing personal triumph for Ange Postecoglou as well. About 15 years ago he was sacked as Australia U17 coach and nobody would touch him for about a decade. Then he came back winning consecutive A-League titles with Brisbane Roar and now the Asian Cup. It's a big **** you to those in the media who wrote him off.

I'm just disappointed the FFA poached him before he could do the same with Melbourne Victory.

I'm not. ;)

At least he's just cashing in at the end of a career, but I hate when out best players go to Asian leagues. I'd much rather have them plying their trade in Europe, where the standard is higher and we'll improve as a footballing nation

Edited by ThunderPower_14

Cahill has had his time in Europe though, he isn't going to get any better as a player than he is right now and he will be remembered as an extremely good Premier League player.  He might even just break into the club legend tier at Everton (certainly if we are only talking about the Premier League era, he probably doesn't compare to the legendary Everton teams of the 1960s and 1980s) so I can't blame the guy for signing one big final contract.  I take the wider point though. 

As a matter of interest, where do you think Cahill will retire to?  He lived in England for about fifteen years which isn't far off the length of time he lived in Australia for.   He married an Aussie girl though didn't he? He chose Australia over Ireland for an international career too. I guess he might return to Sydney when he finally hangs his boots up. 

• Like 2

Â