2015 Asian Cup

TRS-T

It's really quite incredible that Palestine can make it but Malaysia, India and Indonesia can't get a sniff, considering their population. I know India played last time but ...

I was surprised to see Palestine had actually qualified for this, similar to Tahiti with the confed cup a few years back.

What qualifying group were they in as apparently they didn't concede a goal in that section?!

They won the AFC challenge cup. A cup for "emerging countries" 

Palestine

Afghanistan 

Maldives 

Philippines

Kyrgyzstan

Myanmar

Turkmenistan

Laos  

Oh I see so they didn't qualify from a "proper" group.

Suppose that's the equivlant of Malta qualfying after beating Andorra, San Marino, Liechenstein etc.

Went to the Japan v Jordan game. Great atmosphere generated by the Japan fans. It was good to see players like Honda, Endo, Kagawa and (the illustrious) Kiyotake in person too. The public has gotten right behind the competition as well. Really good crowds for almost every game.

• Like 1

It's really quite incredible that Palestine can make it but Malaysia, India and Indonesia can't get a sniff, considering their population. I know India played last time but ...

It's ridiculous that Palestine can make it at all given the locals can barely breathe over there under the force of Israeli pressure, but I'm guessing it's hugely important to them to be there because it legitimises Palestine as a nation.   My mind boggles that our "group" of countries (by that I mean Western Europe, the US and Canada, Australia and New Zealand) still don't recognise them as a sovereign state.   I mean with what passports did the Palestine enter Australia in the first place?  

• Like 4

Is the Asian Cup being broadcast over in the UK? Do people care?

About half of the games are being broadcast. The Africa Cup of Nations gets more coverage.

Crikey, that defending though. First goal, why's that guy lying on the floor holding his head? Too bad lad, didn't get a freekick, get off yer arse. Second goal, two defenders nearby, how are neither of them challenging for the header?

Best shinner since Rooney

He did scuff it and it probably could have gone anywhere, but he was clearly playing the percentages and it worked out for him. Sign of a good striker. I think he deserves the credit. 

Crikey, that defending though. First goal, why's that guy lying on the floor holding his head? Too bad lad, didn't get a freekick, get off yer arse. Second goal, two defenders nearby, how are neither of them challenging for the header?

The guy down holding his head not only took himself out of the game, but he blocked other defenders from getting near Cahill apart from who was out of position anyway.

The second goal though comes down to Cahill being absolutely world class with the ball coming into the box in the air, and he always has been.

Ultimately, he keeps getting in positions and keeps putting the ball in the back of the net. Sometimes you're lucky, but if you're lucky that often you're doing something right.

Wang Dalei was China's man of the match. Kept them in with a sniff. But Cahill's leap is absolutely world class. The amount of height he gets when he jumps for headers is ridiculous.

Edited by Ghost

Wang Dalei was China's man of the match. Kept them in with a sniff. But Cahill's leap is absolutely world class. The amount of height he gets when he jumps for headers is ridiculous.

Clever of China to leave Cahill unmarked for that header. As if they had no idea he's a bit handy at headers!

China were truly awful all round for the most part.

Â