What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Odd choice, usually the "Left field" pick is John Holt's 1000 volts of Holt or Max Romeo's War ina Babylon (Lee Perry again)

EDIT: or Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution, Culture - Two Sevens Clash - or  Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves (Lee Perry again)

Yeah, I can't even remember why I bought the Bovell album. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I can't even remember why I bought the Bovell album. 

A true pioneer of the genre, I'm unfamiliar with that album but amongst his achievements is inventing Lovers Rock

The list of truly great British Reggae Producers is not that big but he'd be in the top 2 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

A true pioneer of the genre, I'm unfamiliar with that album but amongst his achievements is inventing Lovers Rock

The list of truly great British Reggae Producers is not that big but he'd be in the top 2 

Can't remember whether it survived the cull when I sold 90% of my vinyl. I'll go and have a look... 

EDIT: Nah, looks like it's a goner. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Sad 1

Off the top of my head, the only Dennis Bovell album I've got would be a sort of 'best of' double album.

That was bought purely because it was on Pressure Sounds (No 75) and PS is one of those record labels you can just buy without knowing the artist (Creation had that for a while, even Weller's respond label managed it for a while).

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Off the top of my head, the only Dennis Bovell album I've got would be a sort of 'best of' double album.

That was bought purely because it was on Pressure Sounds (No 75) and PS is one of those record labels you can just buy without knowing the artist (Creation had that for a while, even Weller's respond label managed it for a while).

It was this one, with the second disc of dub versions. 

TBH, my favourite track on it was this one - which wasn't reggae, but a calypso: 

On 23/07/2018 at 20:22, mjmooney said:

It was this one, with the second disc of dub versions. 

TBH, my favourite track on it was this one - which wasn't reggae, but a calypso: 

More Soca than straight up Calypso in my book, related but the bass line's funkier

8 hours ago, bickster said:

More Soca than straight up Calypso in my book, related but the bass line's funkier

Ah, fair enough, I wouldn't know the difference. 

Bloody genre nazis.  ;)

• Haha 1

On 23/07/2018 at 20:02, chrisp65 said:

On-U Sound for me

• Like 1

music quiz:

there was a song playing lunchtime in a shop that was lyrically, about how you used to be able to smoke on planes and you could get on a plane, light up and leave it smoulder in an ashtray and you could chat up the stewardess if she was fit and kids used to hijack planes and get them to go to Cuba but the airlines could pay 20,000 and Cuba would give them back....

anybody any ideas on what that was?

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

music quiz:

there was a song playing lunchtime in a shop that was lyrically, about how you used to be able to smoke on planes and you could get on a plane, light up and leave it smoulder in an ashtray and you could chat up the stewardess if she was fit and kids used to hijack planes and get them to go to Cuba but the airlines could pay 20,000 and Cuba would give them back....

anybody any ideas on what that was?

Underworld Latest EP, Its Iggy Pop Speaking

• Like 4

Â