Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Vitamin tablets?

Does this crap actually work

I bought Centrum performance to help with my nutrition and i feel no different

Has 300% rda of every vitamin as well what a load of cack

Not vitamins as such but after my 3rd knee op I couldn't run for more than a few minutes without pain and discomfort

I started taking MSM and glucosamine supplements and the pain started to ease away , somehow or other it was actually lubricating my knee joint , If I stop taking these 2 I get a more pronounced clicking and discomfort in my knee area ...so whilst ordinarily I agree , I do also have some nagging doubt that some products work....

The placebo effect still works even if you know it's a placebo :)

It's medically impossible for ingesting glucosamine to make any difference to your joints. Your guts break glucosamine down into glucose and amine, both of which are already abundant in your body (and if they are not there are far better sources of either).

There's a lot of cobblers talked about nutritional supplements. Most of it is to sell you the supplements. The rest is from the usual misunderstandings of placebos.

I recall reading about a lawsuit in the U.S. against a company making these products , the issue seemed to be against their claim that it " repaired cartridge " rather than any other benefits it claimed to offer

From extensive reading I've done on this matter ( I've investigated various treatments and am now considering a newish treatment whereby they grow new cartridge and attached it via drilling into the bone and using some form of scaffolding support to keep it in place ! )

... Dead cartridge cells don't create blood so it's physically impossible for them to regenerate , ( the drilling in this new technique does create some form of blood flow , thus allowing the healing process to have a chance of success ) meaning of course the claims of the tablet can't be true ... But this seems to be a different explanation to the one you've offered ( which could also be true , just not one I've heard before in my admittedly limited reading in the subject )

For me I get a smoother knee motion when i take them than when I don't , I know they aren't regenerating my cartridge , but they do seem to be acting as a lubricant in there somehow , maybe it's nothing more than a placebo effect as you say but maybe as the medical evidence seems to be inclusive it is doing some good ... Same way that some people can smoke for 80 years and not get lung cancer I guess , there is no one size fits all when it comes to the human body

Edited by tonyh29

There are many who swear by homeopathy because it works for them. Ingesting glucooamine cannot lead to extra glucosamine in the body. Unless there's a hole in your guts, in which case I wouldn't worry about your knees. If it's cheap enough and works for you, that's fine. Placebos still work, even if you know they are placebos.

Same way that some people can smoke for 80 years and not get lung cancer I guess , there is no one size fits all when it comes to the human body

Not in the slightest, surely?

You're drawing a comparison between what you believe to be a different science that applies to you and your limbs with the acknowledgement that there are different outcomes for people based upon their genes, the mutation of cells, their interaction with them and luck.

some forms of cancer are actually random as it turns out

Some tissue types give rise to human cancers millions of times more often than other tissue types. Although this has been recognized for more than a century, it has never been explained. Here, we show that the lifetime risk of cancers of many different types is strongly correlated (0.81) with the total number of divisions of the normal self-renewing cells maintaining that tissue’s homeostasis. These results suggest that only a third of the variation in cancer risk among tissues is attributable to environmental factors or inherited predispositions. The majority is due to “bad luck,” that is, random mutations arising during DNA replication in normal, noncancerous stem cells. This is important not only for understanding the disease but also for designing strategies to limit the mortality it causes.

Yea, but that's obvious isn't it?

As you get older your skin mutates to repair itself, it's likely that one of these mutations can lead to cancerous cells due to erroneous mutation.

I remember reading that there are about 1/3 of cancers which are formed by habit (i.e. smoking, drinking, overweight, too much sun etc) and the other 66% is just down to pure luck of one of your cell repairs/cell divisions mutating cancerous cells.

What a good healthy lifestyle does however, is really reduce the chances of the 1/3 of the cancers that are formed by habit/environmental reasons.

We can control some things, but not others.  I read it on the BBC a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I was pretty surprised by the 33% - 66% figures, I kind of knew that some people who lead healthy lifestyles could still get cancer. 

Yeah, I was just trying to keep the war going between Tony and Snowy but without obviously taking sides.

I love them both.

Snowy is clearly Germany  , me the plucky Brit

and Chris joining the debate late can be America  ....

People who use their phones while driving. It's illegal and before mobile phones were invented you got by without phoning people while driving, if you feel you can't get by without phoning whilst driving get a hands free kit, there is no excuse to be on the phone and don't even get me started on people texting/using facebook while driving!

• Like 1

Yeah it's really not worth it. I've sent the odd text, but only when I'm stationary (I know that's still illegal!)

I do hold my phone when I drive sometimes to use the sat nav on it. Really need to get a bracket to hold it!

Yeah it's really not worth it. I've sent the odd text, but only when I'm stationary (I know that's still illegal!)

I do hold my phone when I drive sometimes to use the sat nav on it. Really need to get a bracket to hold it!

You didn't get an A3 with inbuilt sat nav?  :o 

You didn't get an A3 with inbuilt sat nav?  :o 

For an extra £1300?

No I **** didn't.

:lol:

Pretty sure it was included in the Spec for Mrs E's A1. (SLine) wouldn't have a car without built in shat nav now. Google Maps is very good but...its such a ball ache having to deal with phone cradles etc. 

Edited by Eames

r.i.p map reading skills.

I can read a map and navigate without sat nav. Its absolutely lazy to rely on technology but it is also a damn sight easier not to have to lead through the A-Z or the Usbourne First Book of Motoring at the traffic lights/half way up the A11. 

Â