Paul Lambert

limpid

Positivity is fine, but it has to be supported with substance.....otherwise it just becomes "Blind faith"

You can produce all the stats, but watching that LIverpool game, had so many aspects of encouragement....things that many of us have moaned about not taking place, was in evidence. We know it is one game but some of us thought that our team was incapable of that......one game- yes, but make no mistake they have an impressive line -up and in their own back yard.If we cannot be proud of that performance, there's no hope for us.

Ps that game proved to me we are growing mentally, but also thought Bertrand added to that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

If you guys have a couple of minutes, can you read an article I wrote?

The title is, "Was that a season changing performance?"

http://avillafan.com/site/10852/was-that-a-season-changing-performance/

Thanks guys. :)

Good post

Interesting, how you focus on performance as opposed to result

As important as results are...good performances breed confidence to all.

• Like 1

Positivity is fine, but it has to be supported with substance.....otherwise it just becomes "Blind faith"

You can produce all the stats, but watching that LIverpool game, had so many aspects of encouragement....things that many of us have moaned about not taking place, was in evidence. We know it is one game but some of us thought that our team was incapable of that......one game- yes, but make no mistake they have an impressive line -up and in their own back yard.If we cannot be proud of that performance, there's no hope for us.

Ps that game proved to me we are growing mentally, but also thought Bertrand added to that.

But it's not just one game. Lambert was the manager in our great run during the second half of last season. I put the inconsistency to certain injuries and a young team.

• Like 1

He was also the manager in our terrible start to last season and our poor performances this season where tactical deficiencies cost us points and games.

You cannot just blame injuries and inexperience on inconsistency or has one good performance left you with blinkers on again?

He was also the manager in our terrible start to last season and our poor performances this season where tactical deficiencies cost us points and games.

You cannot just blame injuries and inexperience on inconsistency or has one good performance left you with blinkers on again?

If you look at the situation he came into and the amount of money he's had, few would've done a better job. Lambert has flaws like any other manager, but being in a shitty situation like this magnifies those flaws because there isn't a large margin for error.

He's made mistakes, but overall the job he's done has been very good, and Villa are in much better shape now than they were when he came to the club.

I do agree it'd be nice if he would stop buying freaking strikers though. Get a midfield Lambert!

There is a remarkable similarity to the rebuilding job that Paul Lambert has inherited & undertaken to  that  of the `Shambles` which Graham Taylor had to turn around in 1987.

Surely Villa fans can recognise this in the foundations, infrastructure & overall strategy that Lambert is trying to implement & install. The only difference is that due to the  finances that are currently dictating football  this is actually an even bigger challenge than 25 years ago..

Edited by villa-revolution
  • Like 3

I am hoping come summer transfer window 2014 we will be in a position to buy 3 or 4 top quality players to supplement our first team. Then keep growing from there. Liverpool was one game though so we will see how we get on these next few games

You're right - you cannot just blame injuries and inexperience....

... just as you cannot simply dismiss the effect they have on performances.

Has Lambert made mistakes with formations/tactics/substitutions? Yes. It has contributed to some of our bad performances, just as injuries and inexperience has.

• Like 1

I never had blinkers on in the first place. I take in the oft discussed context of where we were when he took over. I rate him as a good manager doing a difficult job. If anyone ever thought things were going to go perfectly then I think they were setting themselves up for disappointment.

• Like 1

Also I truly believe that 95% of managers either would've relegated Villa last year or made squad/transfer decisions that would've put villa in worse shape for the future wage wise and inevitably led to relegation at some point. He's the best man for the job, he just needs to do away with the defensive shit and start having the team play like a Paul Lambert side. Screw clean sheets.

• Like 3

If you look at the situation he came into and the amount of money he's had, few would've done a better job. Lambert has flaws like any other manager, but being in a shitty situation like this magnifies those flaws because there isn't a large margin for error.

He's made mistakes, but overall the job he's done has been very good, and Villa are in much better shape now than they were when he came to the club.

I do agree it'd be nice if he would stop buying freaking strikers though. Get a midfield Lambert!

All very fair points.

For me it depends what your opinion is based on. If you think that there are very few alternatives out there under the present circumstances who couldn't do a better job than Lambert then there is no real way in which through debate I or anyone else could change your opinion.

If however you look at his overall record while still taking into consideration the constraints he is working under then you might feel that over the 18 month period another manager would have a low threshold to improve upon.

This is where I am currently at.

I never had blinkers on in the first place. I take in the oft discussed context of where we were when he took over. I rate him as a good manager doing a difficult job. If anyone ever thought things were going to go perfectly then I think they were setting themselves up for disappointment.

No-one has ever stated on here that they expected things to be perfect, but few on here expected relegation battles with Lambert in charge. 

We're closer to the bottom than we are to 9th place. I think its premature to say we're not in a relegation battle.

Last season we averaged 1.07 points a game.

So far we currently average 1.09 points a game.

Have we improved lots or is it more to do with more teams performing worse this year?

Â