Paul Lambert

limpid

As regards the players I am just saying that either you do or dont have ability and even half a game can tell us that.  Replicating performances is different, but I dont see how someone can say a player is no good if they have seen him play well against quality opposition.

No one on here can have a moan at Aston Villa more then me. 

but that first half particularly, was a perfect illustration of what I have been wanting to see( it could have been 4 or 5 to us)....because they dispelled the kind of criticism i have been aiming at them.

it wasn't the 2 goals that encouraged me ( however they play a big part) it was the general approach play and movement off the ball.

no excuse now, they can, do it and against class opposition.

something to build on.

I would not be surprised if we put in similar performances for most away games for the rest of the season. We've proven under Lambert that we can be a very good team away from home.

It's our home form and performances that worries me. I honestly can't see us playing like that at home.

They can play like that at home, but the need to press the ball higher up the pitch. The defence played a high line against Liverpool which was risky in itself with Suarez and Sturridge. The players will take a lot from that performance and if they push those sort of levels at home, we will win more than we lose.

• Like 1

think Lambert has finally learned from some of his mistakes in recent weeks. He has stopped being stubborn with his tactics and picking favourites as he  has dropped Weimann and Luna in recent weeks and gone back to playing like we did in end of last season

As regards the players I am just saying that either you do or dont have ability and even half a game can tell us that. Replicating performances is different, but I dont see how someone can say a player is no good if they have seen him play well against quality opposition.

I think that's fair. But then performing on a consistent basis is what seperates average players and good players. Yes at times our players have shown real quality but it needs to be consistent.

The league is a funny one this year. We're 10th but closer to the bottom of the league than we are to 9th. Its a strange one with a group of 11 teams that have been very inconsistent and poor so far this year.

You'd like to think there enough teams between us to make us safe but we've managed 9 points from our last 10 games. I still feel we need a massive improvement if we're going to finish the season without a worry.

Whilst you think inconsistency with young players is an "excuse", personally I think that's what you get with young players. They have to make mistakes in order to learn from them, and when they do, they have a bad game.

The league is mental this year. It takes us to make up a gap of 7 points to get 9th, 7 points down the table is the bottom. Hopefully we're looking at making up that 7 point gap to 9th, even if we don't manage that but manage to close the gap a little it will mean we stay on top of the pack from 10th to 20th and out of trouble.

We're coming in to form at the right time, if we perform better in the second half of the season than the first we won't be near the relegation places at all this season. We still have a few players yet to perform at the levels they achieved at the end of last season so I'd say it's likely we can improve further. If we do that we will pick up more wins than not.

I don't think we'll miss Benteke as much as when we lose Delph.

When are we going to lose Delph? I'm not saying it's impossible but he's already said he'd happily finish his career here.

I personally think we'll see a big club or two in for him in the summer. His recent play won't have gone unnoticed. And every team he does something amazing against will know about him.

Interesting. I like Delph a lot but I think he needs more quality in the final third before anyone higher up would come in for him. I could only see him leaving if Lerner wants to cash in, in which case I might just give up to be honest.

Yeah I really like Delph but he lacks composure when he gets in the attacking third. I feel he will benefit a lot from having an attacking midfielder that will give him an extra option to pass the ball to. 

• Like 1

If you look at the bottom half, over 10 games, virtually all of them have the same form, only Sunderland and Palace are improving in any meaningful way.

Just proves Lambert is a lucky man then! You have to admit most of the teams below us are seriously poor this season.

If you look at the bottom half, over 10 games, virtually all of them have the same form, only Sunderland and Palace are improving in any meaningful way.

Just proves Lambert is a lucky man then! You have to admit most of the teams below us are seriously poor this season.

People say that every season but they're all capable of playing just as we are. Sunderland and the Baggies are the prime examples. We've ground out results and it's paying off as were currently the best of the rest.

• Like 1

It's a confidence thing with young and inexperienced players at this level, even for someone with the talent of Benteke. I have a feeling we will turn a corner now, we'll still have poor results and performances and I'm not sure we have much hope if Vlaar gets injured again, but I think the football should get better. Yesterday's game and that period last season indicates that Lambert does want to get away from the hoofball long term but he has to get the best out of the resources available in terms of both the squad he has and the money he can spend. That has meant playing some pretty agricultural stuff but I think it's just a case of having to play 'results' football while the transformation of the club goes on. I think he's done a really good job and there was never any danger if him being sacked unless we were relegated, thank God that thread has gone.

• Like 4

benteke's scores in last two games in a row...

weimann back on the score sheet on sat and working well with tekkers again...

vlaar back fit and tightening up the middle of defence....

bertrand joins and immediately offers stability at left back....

put all of these together, and this could be the start of a nice little run....

• Like 2

:bang:  :suspect:

• Like 4

Or maybe every prem team is amazing and the teams just make each other look bad. Think about it, lower clubs are taking points of top clubs more than usual, maybe all the bottom clubs are actually stronger and preventing the other sides from getting points through their quality.

• Like 1

Starting from the end of last season, this is a chart of a full seasons (38 games) rolling points total. A good positive trend and interesting to note that so far we haven't had a run of 38 games that would have resulted in a total of less than 40 points

Last38games_zps5a9c2078.png

• Like 2

The main points for me are as follows -

It's hard to say whether he has done a good job, because in my view, he has done it for the board up to now, rather than the fans...understandable I guess....us to come later hopefully.

Many of our players are capable on their day, but suffer with inconsistency.this is something the manager/players must work on.

Our home record is still a major concern, can only get better

Team has stopped capitulating and are showing a bit of resilience.

Gates are still remarkably good, despite the home record.

If I was a betting man smart money would be on us to get better as opposed to worse

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â