Paul Lambert

limpid

Allardyce was told that just getting results through crap football wasnt good enough so he had to implement an attacking style

Source?

My bet is that the turnaround has a lot more to do with him having been told "here's some real money, go and spend it".

Source? It's common knowledge Google it if you don't believe it he also brought in Sherrigham as a coach to help on the attacking side and as for real money hed previously bought Jarvis Carroll and Downing for a lot of money and still played his usual crap football. Last year they was the worst team I saw at VP and that was a major reason the fans wanted him out. Yet he's turned it around playing better football.

I've just been watching the AVTV post match interviews with Hutton and Lambert, and they both mentioned how we were trying to implement a new style, trying to play it out from the back and that we'd "only tried it since yesterday" (ie: Saturday). It's encouraging to see a new attempt to freshen up our play, and I wonder whether the changes have come because of this meeting between Pep Guardiola and Lambert.

That's what I thought. With players coming back.. A few wins.. Confidence building.. Will Lambert make a pardew/big Sam revival?

I did enjoy the slow build up and keeping possession. It puts less pressure on our defence as we have more of the ball. I never did get counter attack football. Give a team 70% of the ball they will eventually break you down.I hope this brand of football stays. If Lambert did goto Pep and has learned a few things.. Fair play to him. He realised it was not working and tried something different.

• Like 1

.......................... If Lambert did goto Pep and has learned a few things.. Fair play to him. He realised it was not working and tried something different.

So PL had to have it explained face to face how Barca/Bayern play?

BTW  it was hardly BarcaMunich v Leicester on sunday

Silly me, and I thought managers/coaches watched games and video tapes

Edited by Grasshopper

.......................... If Lambert did goto Pep and has learned a few things.. Fair play to him. He realised it was not working and tried something different.

Doesnt matter who it was against. It was our approach to the game which changed.

Paul Lambert had a gung ho style at Norwich and got battered in his early reign 8-0 etc.. he lost confidence in his team and his tactics and has seemed lost ever since. 

If visiting Munich has helped him then thats a good thing.

We all know he wont be sacked now. So if hes gone somewhere for additional coaching to benefit the side.. then whats wrong with that? You dont know the extent of his trip or what he learnt. I watch video tapes and games.. doesnt mean i can now be a manager. He has obviously learnt something new and tried it out and you could tell the difference. I am glad it worked as he will likely persist with it.

Be interesting to see how we approach the Derby.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

Jesus one step at a time like! We needed to get our defence sorted this season and we have only let in 3 goals in 5 games which is good stuff. With Benteke back in the team we've more space in midfield and now we can try a higher tempo passing game. 

The last thing on earth we needed to be doing in the horror run of games without Benteke is try a new passing style. I like how he is introducing it now. Also watching some videos of another team doesn't tell you how to coach players how to play a system. What do you tell players to do when they don't have the ball as you can't see them in videos? Also the mental side of the game needs to be taught. It's not a simple oh look Barca pass lots lets do that. 

• Like 1

That's ridiculous. So obviously after watching a video of a side playing football you can get all the info you need on the weeks and weeks of preperation that have gone in to working towards that level and style of play. You can see in the video clips all the medical and statistical analysis of the different training exercises too if you look really hard...

• Like 1

Hutton said how the legacy of Keane was still with Villa in how they needed to maintain a level of play and commitment in training which could carry you into a match. You can't expect to treat it as "just training" then expect to only improve your performances when you play a match. 

Set high standards and maintain those high standards. That is the way to instill a level of quality and professionalism in a side. I think it's evident in the characters and personalities Lambert brought in this summer, professionals and experienced of the standards expected from top clubs like United, Arsenal & Chelsea. 

He knows how they play as do we all, it's how they train that Lambert was interested in seeing.

• Like 1

That's ridiculous. So obviously after watching a video of a side playing football you can get all the info you need on the weeks and weeks of preperation that have gone in to working towards that level and style of play. You can see in the video clips all the medical and statistical analysis of the different training exercises too if you look really hard...

something he shouldnt already know.........

He knows how they play as do we all, it's how they train that Lambert was interested in seeing.

maybe he should get a coach in

Clarke & Meulenstein may be available, Chelsea & ManU probably dont train all that bad...............

Jesus one step at a time like! We needed to get our defence sorted this season and we have only let in 3 goals in 5 games which is good stuff. With Benteke back in the team we've more space in midfield and now we can try a higher tempo passing game. 

The last thing on earth we needed to be doing in the horror run of games without Benteke is try a new passing style. I like how he is introducing it now. Also watching some videos of another team doesn't tell you how to coach players how to play a system. What do you tell players to do when they don't have the ball as you can't see them in videos? Also the mental side of the game needs to be taught. It's not a simple oh look Barca pass lots lets do that. 

McLeish played like this! Its no good prioritising your defence and not scoring, it shows this is how we have been approching games.

• Like 1

Exactly, nobody can watch a video of Barca/Bayern and copy the style of play. It takes a lot of work on the training ground to play that way.

Exactly, nobody can watch a video of Barca/Bayern and copy the style of play. It takes a lot of work on the training ground to play that way.

That's a fair point. However, other than bullying and injuries, exactly what work are we doing in the training ground?

From what we have seen over the last 2-odd years, I'd be surprised if it covered such abstract concepts as "retain the football from a throw in".

• Like 2

Very much looking forward to seeing Charles N'Messi soon

That's a fair point. However, other than bullying and injuries, exactly what work are we doing in the training ground?

From what we have seen over the last 2-odd years, I'd be surprised if it covered such abstract concepts as "retain the football from a throw in".

..I used to dream of retain the football from a throw in

maybe thats what he went for

Edited by Grasshopper

We havent appeared to do much on the training ground apart from that season with Houllier and McCallister who appeared to be trying to change things

..I used to dream of retain the football from a throw in

maybe thats what he went for

Not to go too off topic but does anybody remember when we had Phillips and suddenly we retained possession at 99% of our throw in's?

I used to sit and laugh at how funny it was that 1 player made such a difference when for years we consistently gave the ball away or did nothing with a throw in.....he left and so did our ability to make good use of a throw in.....brace yourself, long throw on the way, nobody needs to offer themselves for a pass because we're not going to throw it to you anyway.

KP, legend.

• Like 1

Jesus one step at a time like! We needed to get our defence sorted this season and we have only let in 3 goals in 5 games which is good stuff. With Benteke back in the team we've more space in midfield and now we can try a higher tempo passing game. 

McLeish played like this! Its no good prioritising your defence and not scoring, it shows this is how we have been approching games.

You build on a solid defence. We had to start at the back given how we shipped so many goals at the tail end of last season. we've scored in our last 4 games and with Benteke now back we can improve in that area. 

Really do people think it's like a light switch, turn it on and we get 60% possession, solid defence and flowing attacking play with plenty of goals!!! 

You start at the back, make yourself hard to score against then build on that. 

• Like 1

I believe I have already given my reply to these questions (twice) but just in case you missed it I'll summarise below:

1. Win more than half our home games.

2. Finish at least 12th.

3. Play more entertaining football.

So if 1 and 2 happen but 3 doesn't, he goes?

1 and 2 won't happen if 3 doesn't happen and you have witnessed that yourself already this season.

We're 11th and I'd say we've only played entertaining football once.

No loss in 5 lost, lost once to teams outside the top 6 last year on a shoe string budget.

Lambert out

Sorry, I cannot wait for us to play someone half decent, Swansea ,maybe and see Lambert again out of ideas.

It really shows.

Which was our "once"? I'd count Hull, Tottenham, Burnley and Leicester as "entertaining" performances. Not always garnering the deserved results granted. A few other good performances too; namely Stoke and Liverpool.

It's not enough. Nowhere near consistent and when we've been bad we've been ever so bad. But I think it's too easy to over egg just how bad we may have been.

Â