Paul Lambert

limpid

So here's a question for those of us who think Lambert should be fired: could he still change your mind? If we were to get wins out of the next few games would you still want him gone? Can he redeem himself over the rest of the season, or is he too far gone?

If he were to:

1. Start playing a more attractive style of football.

2. Win more than half the home games.

3. Finish at least 12th to 14th in the league.

4. Achieve more than 40 points for the season.

Then I might think about changing my mind.

Ok, interesting. I think we will finish at least 14th to be honest and that would mean 3 and 4 gettign satisfied. 

Would that do? At what cost would 1 be acceptable (e.g. finishing lower down the league)?

Good to see what it would take from one of the vocal critics though. good post. 

I actually think 1 should not be too hard to achieve considering it is dross now and to win at least 10 out of 19 home games is not too much to expect surely!

It is well documented that Lambert has both hands tied behind his back as regards transfers/ wages. However, it is how much weight you give to the money equals success/ lack of it equals failure argument. To me, money equals success 9 times out of 10. No money results in failure 9.5 times out of ten!

Last night's starting eleven cost approximately £25m? Of which nearly half is N'Zogbia (a player Lambert didn't buy and has been an underachiever in Claret and Blue at best). Of our standard first eleven, only Delph (leaving) and Benteke cost more than £5m. We are a small team. If our transfers are that small, I'm sure the wages roughly tally.

It's said our squad cost is approximately £81m. Take away Bent, N'Zogbia and soon to be Delph and it costs about £41m. In the last two seasons Lambert has bought 11 players that have been (at least intended) to feature in our team regularly. The average cost of those 11 players is £2.2m. Unfortunately in this league you will not make progress spending £2.2m on a player (and the likely low wages that go with it). I don't think you can argue he could have bought just three players of greater quality if you look at our injury list!

In fact last summer/ transfer window (info taken from Transferleague.co.uk):

Aston Villa spent £6.7m

Newly Promoted:

Leicester spent £11m

Burnley spent £6.5m

QPR spent £35.5m

Teams we fought relegation with last season:

Hull spent £37m

Crystal Palace spent £10.9m

Sunderland spent £14m

West Brom spent £15.1m

West Ham £27m

Swansea £15m

Why, oh why aren't we progressing?! It really isn't rocket science. What can Lambert REALLY do that is going to make a significant impact?

Lambert has spent over 4m on only four occasions since he has been here: Benteke (£10m), Kozak (£5m), Okore (£4m) and Sanchez (£4m) - none of them have been a disaster yet. Benteke alone will probably at least double his value, Kozak and Okore have had awful injuries and Sanchez is not yet settled (although he was bloody awful last night!)

Lambert has taken gambles of under £4m on a host of players with mixed success, Vlaar stand out bright point (£3.2m) but I don't see how anyone can get a Premier League club even comfortably surviving on these sorts of finances?

Lambert has made mistakes but NO manager will get us comfortable with these financial constraints - it will be a battle against relegation every year. Lambert is not the real problem, see past it.

Great post that will most likely be ignored by the majority in this thread as it's hard for even the most pessimistic people to argue against fact!!  

Add all the major injuries on top of the financial constraints and it's an achievement in itself that we are still in the Premier League.  Lambert is having to do whatever it takes to keep us competitive, we have had the hardest start out of all the teams in the league and are in an ok position to now hopefully pick up some wins vs the lesser teams and move up the table.

Lambert is a clown, proof is his Bent substitution last night.  He has a win ratio to be ashamed of along with all the other records and accolades he holds. I really wish him no ill but I want the fool out of Villa Park today.  I don't buy this about him not spending or not having money for wages, Coco the clown with Ronald McDonald could have done better.

• Like 1

It is well documented that Lambert has both hands tied behind his back as regards transfers/ wages. However, it is how much weight you give to the money equals success/ lack of it equals failure argument. To me, money equals success 9 times out of 10. No money results in failure 9.5 times out of ten!

Last night's starting eleven cost approximately £25m? Of which nearly half is N'Zogbia (a player Lambert didn't buy and has been an underachiever in Claret and Blue at best). Of our standard first eleven, only Delph (leaving) and Benteke cost more than £5m. We are a small team. If our transfers are that small, I'm sure the wages roughly tally.

It's said our squad cost is approximately £81m. Take away Bent, N'Zogbia and soon to be Delph and it costs about £41m. In the last two seasons Lambert has bought 11 players that have been (at least intended) to feature in our team regularly. The average cost of those 11 players is £2.2m. Unfortunately in this league you will not make progress spending £2.2m on a player (and the likely low wages that go with it). I don't think you can argue he could have bought just three players of greater quality if you look at our injury list!

Aston Villa spent £6.7mNewly Promoted:

Leicester spent £11m

Burnley spent £6.5m

QPR spent £35.5mTeams we fought relegation with last season:

Hull spent £37m

Sunderland spent £14m

West Brom spent £15.1m

West Ham £27m

Swansea £15m

Why, oh why aren't we progressing?! It really isn't rocket science. What can Lambert REALLY do that is going to make a significant impact?

Lambert has spent over 4m on only four occasions since he has been here: Benteke (£10m), Kozak (£5m), Okore (£4m) and Sanchez (£4m) - none of them have been a disaster yet. Benteke alone will probably at least double his value, Kozak and Okore have had awful injuries and Sanchez is not yet settled (although he was bloody awful last night!)

Lambert has taken gambles of under £4m on a host of players with mixed success, Vlaar stand out bright point (£3.2m) but I don't see how anyone can get a Premier League club even comfortably surviving on these sorts of finances?

Lambert has made mistakes but NO manager will get us comfortable with these financial constraints - it will be a battle against relegation every year. Lambert is not the real problem, see past it.

It's the progress on the pitch regards to the style of play rather than the positional placing which is the biggest concern. Our football is awful. We haven't a clue how to attack teams or dictate play. Teams with worse squads play better stuff. We are not going to challenge for anything so at least try to entertain when we are struggling. Look at West Ham they were awful last season but a change in philosophy and they're doing better with virtually the same players.

• Like 2

Great post that will most likely be ignored by the majority in this thread as it's hard for even the most pessimistic people to argue against fact!!

That post does make some good points and I don't think anyone would argue he's received good backing from the owner.

I don't think that excuses what's been awful results and performances though. He's had limited funds but he's still had 3 years to work with players and build his squad and there is no improvement or progress from McLeish.

Aston Villa spent £6.7mNewly Promoted:

Leicester spent £11m

Burnley spent £6.5m

QPR spent £35.5mTeams we fought relegation with last season:

Hull spent £37m

Sunderland spent £14m

West Brom spent £15.1m

West Ham £27m

Swansea £15m

It's the progress on the pitch regards to the style of play rather than the positional placing which is the biggest concern. Our football is awful. We haven't a clue how to attack teams or dictate play. Teams with worse squads play better stuff. We are not going to challenge for anything so at least try to entertain when we are struggling. Look at West Ham they were awful last season but a change in philosophy and they're doing better with virtually the same players.

Valencia, Sakho, Cresswell, Jenkinson and Song are all regulars for West Ham this season so your point is wrong!

We can't progress because of the financial constraints, the likes of Bradford and Sheffield United have.. oh wait.

Doesn't wash me with me sorry. The excuse has worn thin over the years and the football has got worse over the time too.

Funny how you rarely hear these excuses being trotted out when at a game or travelling to / from a game.

Why can't we compete in the FA Cup or in the League Cup?

We do but usually only for one round.

Why can't we compete in the FA Cup or in the League Cup?

Haven't you heard, we don't spend money our squad is worth....................ohh, hang on a minute???

Yeah this needs answering, Crackpot, Bobzy, maybe Richard can baffle us though maybe baffle is the wrong word..................

It's rather pathetic that because the 1-1 draw was a good result for us some people need to find something else to attack Lambert so it's all about subbing on Darren Bent. If he wasn't subbed on and it was a draw people would find something else. 

It really erodes any credibility they have in the eyes of many here. Essentially the agenda will always be Lambert out, regardless of outcome. 

• Like 2

Hasn't part of Lambert's appeal in the past been his signings? I've seen many people comment on how he was able to replace players with better players for less money. Now that same thing that used to be praised is the fact that means we can't expect any improvement from McLeish.

And even with limited funds he's had time. Doesn't that count for anything? Wouldn't a manager performing at a good level be able to improve the squad through the coaching, tactics and man management side of things over a few years?

I think its too simple to just say lack of spending has held him back. It doesn't take into account the players he inherited or the bomb squad that was allowed to come back.

It's rather pathetic that because the 1-1 draw was a good result for us some people need to find something else to attack Lambert so it's all about subbing on Darren Bent. If he wasn't subbed on and it was a draw people would find something else.

It really erodes any credibility they have in the eyes of many here. Essentially the agenda will always be Lambert out, regardless of outcome.

Credibility with who? The few who keep defending him no matter what? I doubt those unhappy with our performance last night are that bothered about how credible you view their opinion.

I didn't have an issue with the bent sub, my issue was with the way we performed and our complete retreat second half. We got a 1-1 draw, that result papers over quite a few cracks. Ignoring it and just saying great point seems pretty pointless.

• Like 3

The basis of all the differing degrees of support for Lambert in this thread comes down to the simple point of Relegation. Keeping Lambert in charge means we are highly unlikely to be relegated this season, sacking him you run a much bigger risk of relegation. 

My belief is that by and large football fans turn on managers far too quickly and far too often. Fans get angry and need to target someone. The manager is almost always it. Never any qualification of the causes of the problems the manager himself has faced. 

The sheer length of time we've been without Benteke this year is, for me, the biggest factor in our form in that time. How we played at home to Spurs up until he was sent off was superb. That is how I describe that performance. 

We can't progress because of the financial constraints, the likes of Bradford and Sheffield United have.. oh wait.

Doesn't wash me with me sorry. The excuse has worn thin over the years and the football has got worse over the time too.

we also beat Cityx2, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool x2 in his time. Sort of kills the predictable moaning cup excuses doesnt it

• Like 1

The basis of all the differing degrees of support for Lambert in this thread comes down to the simple point of Relegation. Keeping Lambert in charge means we are highly unlikely to be relegated this season, sacking him you run a much bigger risk of relegation. 

I'm sorry, but I think that's complete bollocks. 

I think we're far more likely to go down with Lambert in charge rather than someone like... Pullis?

The end of last season shows Lambert's Villa can really struggle to pick up points, this season shows we're struggling to pick up points. It wouldn't surprise me if we score under 25 goals all season, which would be horrific. 

At least Pullis would have a game plan and some organisation. It might be shit football, but it can't get much worse at the minute. 

• Like 2

I thing the argument that has been made over the last 1000 pages comes down simply to Villa's position in this world.

If you believe we are a midtable team then you're right and Lambert should be sacked.

If you believe we are a struggling team, lower midtable then you think he's under-performed.

If you believe, like me, that the finances and set up of this club and barely enough to survive then Lambert isn't the problem.

I think a lot of managers would have got us relegated. I'd prefer to play the cr*p anti-football of last night and tread water in the hope of a better future (change of ownership) than play exciting football and be destroyed because we don't have the finances to be that exciting.

Lerner doesn't deserve a Premier League team, and pushes the boundary further every year. One year he'll push too hard. Lambert has limited chance to improve the style of team.

But i think at this point, few will be swayed from their viewpoint.

• Like 1

Never any qualification of the causes of the problems the manager himself has faced.

That's not true, everyone knows the problems and acknowledges them. The difference is you feel they excuse everything and others think they don't.

Â