Paul Lambert

limpid

Finances... transitional period... sounds like a load of excuses to me ;)

Excuses that would've expired had it continued in his second season, just as they did in Lambert's second season ;)

Of course.  Although I think the Man Utd situation highlights just how hard it is to become a good side in this league without spending money.  £170m spent and 3 points ahead of us having played no real top side but Man City.

I can't agree with that. Any managerial appointment should be made with a long term view in mind, regardless of the circumstances

Everyone wants this but its not going to happen. Lerner is not interested in this.

What?  Surely that's exactly what Lerner is going for i.e: our current situation?

I don't get the hype about Moyes.

It took him the best part of ten years to get Everton established.

He expected to go to Man Utd and start another long term rebuilding process - but the fans were not prepared to wait that long, and with their history - who could blame them?

He would be a disastrous appointment for us in my opinion.

We should have pulled all the stops out to get Martinez when we had the chance.

The only good to come out of the Lambert era is Benteke, Vlaar, and the emergence of Delph and Guzan.

He does need to go, but all I could see replacing him would be someone like Pulis.

Am I being unfair?

Nope youre not and im shouting for Lambert to be given to new year. With Pulis you will be getting one step forward and two steps back. People who make very valid reasons and arguments for getting rid of Lambert now, then go off spouting about Pulis loose credibility with me.

It is indeed ridiculous to believe that the Manager of the Year, who saved a team who looked certain to go down less than a calendar year ago, could possibly benefit this sinking club in any way.

Yes thats what the one step forward would be. The two steps back would be when he starts to bring in players such as crouch, palalious and adams and play them like cave men.

You ever wonder why stoke fans were delighted to get shot and why Crystal Palace didnt try their upmost to get him to stay. But hey he got manager of the year over a 6 month period so he must be the next Mourinho.

Finances... transitional period... sounds like a load of excuses to me ;)

Excuses that would've expired had it continued in his second season, just as they did in Lambert's second season ;)

Of course. Although I think the Man Utd situation highlights just how hard it is to become a good side in this league without spending money. £170m spent and 3 points ahead of us having played no real top side but Man City.

I can't agree with that. Any managerial appointment should be made with a long term view in mind, regardless of the circumstances

Everyone wants this but its not going to happen. Lerner is not interested in this.

What? Surely that's exactly what Lerner is going for i.e: our current situation?

You think Lerner cares about building a long term plan? The guy wants out and us happy to survive until he gets it

He expected to go to Man Utd and start another long term rebuilding process - but the fans were not prepared to wait that long, and with their history - who could blame them?

The only good to come out of the Lambert era is Benteke, Vlaar, and the emergence of Delph and Guzan.

He does need to go, but all I could see replacing him would be someone like Pulis.

Am I being unfair?

Nope youre not and im shouting for Lambert to be given to new year. With Pulis you will be getting one step forward and two steps back. People who make very valid reasons and arguments for getting rid of Lambert now, then go off spouting about Pulis loose credibility with me.

It is indeed ridiculous to believe that the Manager of the Year, who saved a team who looked certain to go down less than a calendar year ago, could possibly benefit this sinking club in any way.
Yes thats what the one step forward would be. The two steps back would be when he starts to bring in players such as crouch, palalious and adams and play them like cave men.

You ever wonder why stoke fans were delighted to get shot and why Crystal Palace didnt try their upmost to get him to stay. But hey he got manager of the year over a 6 month period so he must be the next Mourinho.

You say two steps back. Where exactly do you see us at the moment? We're going no where with our current manager. Puliss would be a step up IMO.

What? Surely that's exactly what Lerner is going for i.e: our current situation?

You think Lerner cares about building a long term plan? The guy wants out and us happy to survive until he gets it

I think Lerner cares long term enough, yes.  He may well want out and may not be ambitious anymore, but I think he's realised that a quick fix didn't work and wanted something more stable/long term.

Of course. Although I think the Man Utd situation highlights just how hard it is to become a good side in this league without spending money. £170m spent and 3 points ahead of us having played no real top side but Man City.

To an extent although I think United haven't helped themselves with some real gross mismanagement post-Ferguson/Gill. They should've spent this sort of money last summer for a start and even with the recent spend, there didn't really seem to be a coherent strategy. The way they let themselves go into the season with this defence was tragically laughable. Not to mention Van Gaal spending the entire preseason coaching them to fit into a back-three system and then scrapping that after a couple of bad results.

Edited by Isa

I think Lerner cares long term enough, yes. He may well want out and may not be ambitious anymore, but I think he's realised that a quick fix didn't work and wanted something more stable/long term.

I'd agree that was his thinking when hiring lambert, I don't believe he thinks that now. I'd imagine he wants out as fast as he can.

Just a recap for those who may have forgotten.

1. Biggest defeat in premiership history (8-0 chelsea)

2. Worst start to a season since we've been in the premiership (his first season)

3. First manager since we've been in the premiership to have two seasons or more and hasn't achieved a top ten finish

4. Most home defeats in a single season ever

5. Most defeats over a season in our premiership history (20 last season)

6. Most goals let in over a season since we've been in the premiership (over 60 last season)

7. Five defeats in a row without scoring for the first time in our entire history

8. Six defeats in a row for the first time since we've been in the premiership and also beyond (47 years)

9. First manager to lose to a fourth tier side over two legs in a cup semi-final

10. First time we've gone out of cup competitions three years on the spin to lower league opposition?

11. 23 defeats in 36 games the worst run any manager has ever had at this club?

How the hell is this guy still managing our club. No other manager would survive this at such a big club, not sure how Lambert is. I will stick to my guns and say 2 more loses and he will have to go. If not surely he wouldn't survive if we also lose to Burnley.

2. Worst start to a season since we've been in the premiership (his first season)

3. First manager since we've been in the premiership to have two seasons or more and hasn't achieved a top ten finish

6. Most goals let in over a season since we've been in the premiership (over 60 last season)

7. Five defeats in a row without scoring for the first time in our entire history

8. Six defeats in a row for the first time since we've been in the premiership and also beyond (47 years)

9. First manager to lose to a fourth tier side over two legs in a cup semi-final

10. First time we've gone out of cup competitions three years on the spin to lower league opposition?

I wonder what record number 12 will be after the West Ham game

its only stats....you have to look a bit deeper :D

no cushions on the pitch.....give him another season :D

Edited by TRO

Am I being unfair?

As opposed to players like Sylla, Luna, Tonev etc. 

Palace didn't 'play like cavemen' last season, they simply didn't. 

I also note that his teams finished above ours in both of Lambert's seasons in charge. Seems more like two or three steps forward and possibly half a step back to me. 

I agree that Lambert needs to go.

But can any of us really see Lerner paying up a four year contract a matter of weeks after signing it?

Yes. 

To be honest, it feels like a matter of time at this point. In the entirely plausible situation that we lose our next two matches, we'll have lost eight in a row, which is more than 20% of the games this season. We'll also be in the relegation zone. 

Especially if the club is still looking for a buyer, it rapidly becomes a question of money. Sacking Lambert may well cost in the region of £5-8m, but relegation would cost easily ten times that amount. So when a point is reached where it seems clear that the squad is under-performing under Lambert and that another manager could avoid relegation, I think Lerner will act. 

Some may say well why did he never sack Lambert in the winter of 2012-2013 when we looked nailed-on for relegation, but the situation was different. Lambert was a new manager, in a period when three managers had already left in the previous three calendar years, there was a greater feeling of faith that he would turn things around and the owner wasn't looking to sell the club at the time. 

Â