Paul Lambert

limpid

You can't press like Dortmund if you aren't trained every week like they are to do so, especially so if half your team is feeling unwell. 

Most of what has been good about us this season has a foundation in pressing early and high up the pitch, with a lot of energy for 90 mins.

We saw that in the first half hour against arsenal too. I think we'll see it a lot this season.

That's the frustration. I really feel like if it weren't for the illness we could have taken something from the game. We were on top and then bang, they score 3. Now I'm not saying that the illness made us concede the goals, but I am saying it meant Ciaran Clark played, and I blame him for the 2nd and to a lesser extent the third. If we were full throttle we could easily have scored one or two ourselves. 

Anyway it's entirely speculative and it wasn't to be. I hope we can pick up a point from the next two games, and then I think we should be looking to go and beat Everton - especially if Benteke is back for us. 

• Like 2

There should be no reason to be overly afraid of Everton this season. I was reading some stat website the other day which had a season preview saying that Everton considerably over-achieved defensively last season, and that the writer expected them to concede a lot more this season. So far that's been borne out. They're not at a level where teams have to simply shrug and accept not giving them a decent game. 

So doom and gloom. We're a football club, just like the majority. We have good seasons and bad, win the odd cup. That's the nature of the beast.

I wonder if those alive between 1920 and 1957 were this consistently miserable.

They wouldn't have been as miserable because all those managers back in that time didn't have as bad home or cup records as this idiot we've now got in charge!

• Like 1

You can't press like Dortmund if you aren't trained every week like they are to do so, especially so if half your team is feeling unwell. 

Most of what has been good about us this season has a foundation in pressing early and high up the pitch, with a lot of energy for 90 mins.

We saw that in the first half hour against arsenal too. I think we'll see it a lot this season.

I disagree, I don't think we press all the way up the pitch that much as they do however I will concede that I see the foundation being to built to do it.

So doom and gloom. We're a football club, just like the majority. We have good seasons and bad, win the odd cup. That's the nature of the beast.

They wouldn't have been as miserable because all those managers back in that time didn't have as bad home or cup records as this idiot we've now got in charge!

You can throw the 60s through to the early 70s into the mix. Awful times and not entirely idiot free either.  ;)

The only game from this season they've evern tried to press high up was the Liverpool game. Nothing similar in the other 4 games at all and don't think it'll be a big part of Villa's game going forward. Teams generally press high because they want the ball. We let teams have the ball and stay deep. We do it even against Newcastle and Hull at home. It's Lambert's way and we'll have another season of possession in the high 30s/ low 40s %. 

Edit : Which is OK if we get the points but is a very poor indicator for future success. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 1

You can throw the 60s through to the early 70s into the mix. Awful times and not entirely idiot free either.  ;)

And 80's - Ron Saunders lost to many a smaller team so he must have been an idiot too at times :P

Yes when Villa were relegated for the first time in their history I'm sure the fans weren't miserable at all because over eighty years later a manager was going to have a really bad home record.

Edited by Ghost_of_Pongo_Waring
  • Like 1

The only game from this season they've evern tried to press high up was the Liverpool game. Nothing similar in the other 4 games at all and don't think it'll be a big part of Villa's game going forward. Teams generally press high because they want the ball. We let teams have the ball and stay deep. We do it even against Newcastle and Hull at home. It's Lambert's way and we'll have another season of possession in the high 30s/ low 40s %. 

Edit : Which is OK if we get the points but is a very poor indicator for future success. 

We've been watchign different games, I'd say Liverpool was the game where we pressed high the least. Especially second half. That was all about being compact and backs to the wall.

I'd say Stoke, Hull and Newcastle we didn't give their defenders much time on the ball at all.

That's the frustration. I really feel like if it weren't for the illness we could have taken something from the game. We were on top and then bang, they score 3. Now I'm not saying that the illness made us concede the goals, but I am saying it meant Ciaran Clark played, and I blame him for the 2nd and to a lesser extent the third. If we were full throttle we could easily have scored one or two ourselves. 

Anyway it's entirely speculative and it wasn't to be. I hope we can pick up a point from the next two games, and then I think we should be looking to go and beat Everton - especially if Benteke is back for us. 

The way we set up for that game I could only see us scoring through a set play, which we nearly did. You could see Arsenal weren't up to much but with our defence and their attacking players it would take one moment of a quick pass and through ball and they have a huge chance which is what happened for the Ozil goal, when was the last time we score a goal like that?

Someone pointed out we set up to try nick a goal and contain and it is true, once Arsenal scored it was always going to be a huge task to get anything. 

The way we set up for that game I could only see us scoring through a set play, which we nearly did. You could see Arsenal weren't up to much but with our defence and their attacking players it would take one moment of a quick pass and through ball and they have a huge chance which is what happened for the Ozil goal, when was the last time we score a goal like that?

Someone pointed out we set up to try nick a goal and contain and it is true, once Arsenal scored it was always going to be a huge task to get anything. 

We do that because we are missing our best player, who everything goes through. When Benteke starts playing and the likes of Cleverley and Delph feeding off him, we will see a different style against the lesser sides. Our best hope at the moment is with trying to counter with Gabby and Weimann.

• Like 1

Yes when Villa were relegated for the first time in their history I'm sure the fans weren't miserable at all because over eighty years later a manager was going to have a really bad home record.

Not a really bad home record...just the worst ever in our history. Most of the fans (not me) wanted Lambert and defend him to the hilt and cannot ever admit that he's not a very good manager and one of the most negative ever.

Not a really bad home record...just the worst ever in our history. Most of the fans (not me) wanted Lambert and defend him to the hilt and cannot ever admit that he's not a very good manager and one of the most negative ever.

When people say its the worst ever in history, you mean losses right and not based on points gained. As McLeish gained less points at VP than any other manager so surely that's the worst. See with stats you can twist them anyway to make a point in an argument.

IMO most people admit he's not a very good manager, they just think VIlla is not in a position to attract better, which is a reasonable argument. Admiting he's been a negative manager at Villa, though, is something that seems like a cardinal sin to say despite everything that suggests so.

Â