Paul Lambert

limpid

I'd give him a new deal. Not based on the start to the season but based on how he has managed the club since he got here regardless of the tough times and results.

What do you reckon would be a fair length of deal? If we're still doing well at xmas I'd give him two years plus a years option.

What's worth remembering is we'd surely get new owners during that period which will probably complicate things.

I'd give him a two or three year deal tomorrow personally, I think he has earned it and I think the club needs that stability.

As far as new owners are concerned as I was saying in the summer I fully expect us to end the year under Lerner, I don't see a sale being even remotely close. 

Will we be sold in the next couple of years? Yes you would expect so or certainly hope so. If we are you would also hope that either Lambert has done well enough to warrant being retained or if not or regardless they want their own man that compensation for a 2 or 3 year deal isn't out of their financial remit otherwise we have bigger things to worry about.

The club needs to be run properly, irrespective of any attempts to sell it and that starts with securing its assets and Lambert like Grealish, Vlaar and Delph is an asset we need to try and retain.

• Like 1

I would wait until christmas and see the situation before thinking about contract talks with lambert .

Granted if he continues as he has so far this season he maybe would merit a new deal .

First priority as Trent says must be to secure grealish Vlaar and Delph on new deals.

Edited by Eastie

I would wait until christmas and see the situation before thinking about contract talks with lambert .

Granted if he continues as he has so far this season he maybe would merit a new deal .

First priority as Trent says must be to secure grealish Vlaar and Delph on new deals.

If we continue only dropping 2 points every 4 games we'll be top at christmas by a healthy margin I would guess. I think he deserves a new deal, we need SOMEONE to be the fulcruma nd focus of the club, we have key players with contracts that expire in the summer, add the manager in there too and it's a miracle Lambert can get them motivated in the first place!

Just for clarity I put Lambert in the same category as these players, I see his contract as being equally important.

Delph and Grealish yes.  I've a feeling we have lost Vlaar.

Just for clarity I put Lambert in the same category as these players, I see his contract as being equally important.

I accept that opinion but feel the lambert issue for me is not cut and dried - it's vital we hold onto our better players and keep them , regarding lambert although the signs are very much improved this season I'd still like to see where we are at Xmas before committing to giving him a new deal- there have been many times I've felt we had turned a corner under him only for things to spiral downwards again .

Should we be in the top half at christmas then I think that would be enough to open contract talks with him.

• Like 1

I accept that opinion but feel the lambert issue for me is not cut and dried - it's vital we hold onto our better players and keep them , regarding lambert although the signs are very much improved this season I'd still like to see where we are at Xmas before committing to giving him a new deal- there have been many times I've felt we had turned a corner under him only for things to spiral downwards again .

Should we be in the top half at christmas then I think that would be enough to open contract talks with him.

Well you are as entitled to your opinion as much as me or the next man, I'm not saying you are wrong just that I personally see it differently.

Putting a slightly different spin on it for a second. If you were Grealish or Delph two young players who have in different ways progressed under Lambert, would you not want to know his future before committing you own? Would you not be thinking I don't want to sign for 3 years if the manager is off in 3 months.

I totally appreciate any manager can go at any time, that is the game, but I honestly think for those two players Lambert's future will be factors in deciding their own. 

I'm not saying they won't sign deals unless or until he does but I personally think it would help.

I don't see a commitment to Lambert for two years as being a gamble and as I've already stated, for me he deserves that.

We will have a tough spell this season, no question. Most teams do especially those with limited resources like us but as and when we do I'm sure we will come out the other side as we've done previously and it is unlikely to change my view on the manager. Even if it does, what is a two year deal going to cost the club, say £4m over the two years?

Even in our current position I think that is manageable and a investment worth making and I'd have said the same in the summer before the 4 games. But as I said, that is just my view, others are perfectly entitled to theirs.

• Like 2

Very good points Trent, interesting that you bracketed Delph and grealish together but didn't refer to Vlaar?

Do you feel he will see out his contract and assess his options in the summer?

In fairness I think from a players point of view that would make sense and I fear Delph may do the same , I would expect grealish to sign a new deal soon .

Well you are as entitled to your opinion as much as me or the next man, I'm not saying you are wrong just that I personally see it differently.

Putting a slightly different spin on it for a second. If you were Grealish or Delph two young players who have in different ways progressed under Lambert, would you not want to know his future before committing you own? Would you not be thinking I don't want to sign for 3 years if the manager is off in 3 months.

I totally appreciate any manager can go at any time, that is the game, but I honestly think for those two players Lambert's future will be factors in deciding their own. 

I'm not saying they won't sign deals unless or until he does but I personally think it would help.

I don't see a commitment to Lambert for two years as being a gamble and as I've already stated, for me he deserves that.

We will have a tough spell this season, no question. Most teams do especially those with limited resources like us but as and when we do I'm sure we will come out the other side as we've done previously and it is unlikely to change my view on the manager. Even if it does, what is a two year deal going to cost the club, say £4m over the two years?

Even in our current position I think that is manageable and a investment worth making and I'd have said the same in the summer before the 4 games. But as I said, that is just my view, others are perfectly entitled to theirs.

I have to agree with you here, he's only had 2 years. First season was a bit messy (not helped by the muppet manager before him), least year we changed tactics and non performing players were finally replaced and we scraped it (we looked better) and this year we have a new assistant, experienced players back and Lambert has shown, though steep, that he is winning the battle with the learning curve of management. 

2 years would be a great contract for Villa, not long but also time to plan.

This was his season of judgement, though very early he's exceeding expectations. 

Very good points Trent, interesting that you bracketed Delph and grealish together but didn't refer to Vlaar?

Do you feel he will see out his contract and assess his options in the summer?

I bracketed them together because I think they owe a little more to Lambert or rather he has been quite important in their careers. I think the situation with Vlaar is different in that respect really.

But on Vlaar, yes I've said a few times I think he will go next summer but I'd love to be wrong.

On the whole, I think people expect a right-here, right-now sort of thing with their football teams.  If Lambert doesn't deliver NOW, then he's garbage as a manager and we write him off.  However, if it's a young player (let's say, Grealish) we can forgive them making mistakes and expect them to improve.  It's a really weird mentality that exists within football.

I mention this because I think Lambert has got a lot more to learn in the managerial game and I think he's got the perfect setting in which to learn it at Villa.  There was an interview with Sean Dyche (top bloke) on Football Focus over the weekend, and he was very open to how, as a young manager, he's "like a magpie" and stealing ideas from here and there then seeing which ones can apply to his side.  Much of what we've seen over the past 2 seasons has been like this, for me.  We've bought young players, gambled on formations, varied our attacks, tried to improve our ball retention, improved our defence etc.  It's all a learning curve for Lambert as well as many of our players - the experiences of which they will all be better off for.

I say we should give Lambert until January before offering a new deal, mainly, because our fans could potentially get right on the back of the manager and hound him out of the club if results take a turn for the worse.  However, for me, it's great to see an element of stability at the club (owner aside!) and the improvements being made by players like Westwood and Delph along with our manager make me even more proud to be a Villa fan.

I know people want super-rich owners to throw money at it but, for me, I'm glad we're not an oil club or spending £140m like Man Utd.  We've had to dig in and I think we'll all be better off for the struggles the side has had over the past couple of seasons - should the team continue in the same vein.

As for Lambert, I hope he is given the opportunity to continue to grow as a manager at Aston Villa - irrespective of new ownership.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

Bloody hell 4 decent results in 80 games don't make Lambert worth keeping IMO. I would still get rid ASAP. Even this season we are still seeing an inability to retain possession and attack especially when we have a lead or against opposition who sit back against us!

4 games don't get you a new contract all he has done is his job and he should have started doing it game 1 not game 80!

Bloody hell 4 decent results in 80 games don't make Lambert worth keeping IMO. I would still get rid ASAP. Even this season we are still seeing an inability to retain possession and attack especially when we have a lead or against opposition who sit back against us!

4 games don't get you a new contract all he has done is his job and he should have started doing it game 1 not game 80!

WTF.

So he'd have to carry this form on for a full season before you'd keep him? Or 2? Or win the title?

Can you imagine what would happen if you got rid of Lambert ASAP? Seriously?| 

Jeebus - talk of exaggerating or what - 4 decent results in 80 games?? That means we must have been relegated. I know it may have been tongue in cheek (perhaps) but please I've seen facts and seen made up stuff on VT and this is about as accurate as all the NON-ITK's who spout off shit on twatter and elsewhere! We beat Chelski and Man City and Arsenal (3 to name off my head) and gave Plop a run at Anfield. But then yeah we've been shite for 80 games!

Also that means Van Gaal must be shite - he only won 1 game and not from Game 1 (see I can make up shite too!)

WTF.

So he'd have to carry this form on for a full season before you'd keep him? Or 2? Or win the title?

Can you imagine what would happen if you got rid of Lambert ASAP? Seriously?| 

So 2 years of breaking every record for being the shittiest manager in decades and now after 4 games he's Jose Mourhino? FFS no one people think our fans are fickle! Not a chance, McLeish started the season going 7 unbeaten IIRC? That turned out well. Let's see where we are at the end of the season?

No way has he earned a contract renewal yet! He's a long way from that!

Â