Paul Lambert

limpid

"We had chances"

Mmm no we didn't Paul.

Don't treat us like mugs.

Well done on the clean sheets but don't swerve the attacking problem with generic bull shit comments like "we were excellent" "we created chances" and "all we needed was a finishing touch".

None of those are true.

Bit unfair that.

We were clearly lacking up front, as evidenced by the "no shots on target" statistic. But:

1. Zog's header was over but was a decent effort that beat the keeper

2. Zog's free kick was half a yard wide

3. Scottish Cafu had the ball just outside the 6 yard box. Thought he should have shot, but laid it back

4. Andi (who was crap overall) swung in a lethal cross at one stage. Gabby was a few yards behind, but it was screaming for someone to just touch it

5. Our best chance I think mostly went unnoticed. When Andi took the shot from 30 yards, Delph and French Roberto Carlos were in space to his left. A decent pass there and it was 1-0.

So although we were poor up front, I think the "no shots on target" line is a bit misleading. We created about as much as we did last week and, as we all know, we got three points from that one.

• Like 4

I'd say most of the fans moaning about today are the ones who thought we'd be sitting here after 2 defeats saying I told you so. Unfortunately we've looked decent so far and Lamberts signings this year look like they're going to improve us massively. We've played 2 teams tipped to have very good seasons and had only 2/3 shots on target against us. The defence looks very solid and even though we aren't creating loads we are getting it wide and putting in good balls. To me that's creating. If Benteke or Kozak played today they would have scored but we had Gabby who has gone to pot. If Lambert can get 1/2 more attacking players in with the return of those 2 we will score goals and with the added steel in defence we could be I for a good season. Today was probably the strongest bench we've had in years and Sod's law Lambert had to use his subs to stop NZogbia getting a 2nd yellow an injury to Cissokho and I think Richardson aswell who was stretching and holding his leg prior to his substitution. If that never happened I'm sure Cole and Grealish would have got on.

• Like 1

Although I would have liked a victory today I am content with a point, albeit we still look a bit short of goals in the squad (bar Benteke).

Last season ended embarrassingly, with us leaking goals at a ridiculous rate. We had no back bone, and often would let a match like today end in defeat.

I am happy with the work Lambert has done so far this summer. It looks like he has rectified our biggest problem, and made us more secure at the back. Hopefully this trend will continue into the season as the defence gains further confidence and understanding.

The one aspect Lambert still needs to address is the lack of goals coming from midfield and the supporting forwards. Hopefully in the remainder of the window Lambert can address this issue, as even when Benteke and Kozak come back we would still be reliant on those two to get all of the goals. If not Then that would mean we are still very much one dimensional, and that would be unfair on the returning duo to expect them to pick up where they left off after such a long layoff.

• Like 3

I was happy when he brought on The Rock for Zog because Newcastle were in total control in the first 15 mins of the 2nd half and it looked like they were gonna score. When Rock came on they lost their grip on the game and we kept them out fairly easy except for the De Jong chance.

It must be great for Lambert having quality players on the bench and once we have Beasteke and Kozak back we will have a great chance of winning games like today. I hope he makes 1 more quality attacking signing as that will see us with a really strong squad in all positions.

• Like 1

I hate this thread. There's no middle ground.

No shots on target. Its not great. But there are still positives. You don't have to be totally **** outraged at us getting a point JUST because we didn't get a shot on target.

Similarly, people who ARE happy with today's performance aren't jumping around celebrating the fact we got not shots on target.

Its not black and white, people. You can be unhappy with the no shots on target AND satisfied that we still got a point in a game we'd have lost last season.

I despair I really do. So many agendas flying around in here, on both sides. Its pathetic

This is what I've been banging on about for ages - there's a distinct lack of middle ground sometimes.

ANYONE on this forum would have bitten off whoever's hand they needed to bite off to have four points from the first two games. As much as we all love to moan, we've got four points on the board and have kept two clean sheets, with our two best strikers yet to come back from injury. I for one am very happy. 

Edited by kasabian21
  • Like 1

^I'm not sure that Stevo's post is the best example of 'middle ground'.

sorry if it came off like that, reading it back it does seem a bit one sided. I explained the middle ground but only criticised one "side".

By both sides I meant the people who are understandably unhappy about the no shots on target but apparently unable to accept any positives from the game as a result.

On the other hand, there are people who are unable to acknowledge that no shots on target isn't acceptable at home because of some need to defend the manager at all costs.

What I'm saying is its possible, and entirely reasonable in this case, to be both satisfied with the result yet unhappy and concerned by the lack of creativity going forward.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

sorry if it came off like that, reading it back it does seem a bit one sided.

By both sides I meant the people who are understandably unhappy about the no shots on target but apparently unable to accept any positives from the game as a result.

On the other hand, there are people who are unable to acknowledge that no shots on target isn't acceptable at home because of some need to defend the manager at all costs.

What I'm saying is its possible, and entirely reasonable in this case, to be both satisfied with the result yet unhappy and concerned by the lack of creativity going forward.

Fair enough and I agree.

I don't think he was trying to claim it wasn't, I think he was just making a point on the nature of a lot of discussions on Villa.

He cleared up what I had read into it above.

The no shots on target stat is very misleading, there where some excellent crosses put in today and on any other day, or with the two big men back in action one of those could have been put away, it's all fine margins in football, and we just didn't get the rub on them today. Hopefull PL see's that we need someone who can do something out of the ordinary in a game like this.

The no shots on target stat is very misleading, there where some excellent crosses put in today and on any other day, or with the two big men back in action one of those could have been put away, it's all fine margins in football, and we just didn't get the rub on them today. Hopefull PL see's that we need someone who can do something out of the ordinary in a game like this.

Maybe.

But then again especially given how negative and toothless we have been at home for the majority of Lambert's tenure then the negative reaction to this is certainly understandable; certainly be nice to see some proof of progress in this area.

Well without getting into all the banter and 1 sided opinions we currently look a much better team than we did last season.  It helps we have a team made up predominantly of men, not a lot of kids who looked out of their depth.

• Like 1

I don't think he was trying to claim it wasn't, I think he was just making a point on the nature of a lot of discussions on Villa.

To be honest, I basically share the 'middle ground' opinion on the game today. But 'the middle ground' is just an opinion like any other, it's not automatically more correct just because it's halfway between two other opinions. 

Â