Paul Lambert

limpid

I am becoming increasingly worried with what I am seeing being served up during preseason. We look terrible at the back, can't string more than a handful of passes together and generally look clueless and disinterested. I realize it is only preseason but you expect to see some glimmers of hope but there is nothing.

I really fear for us this season. We have a number of players who simply aren't good enough and it seems we have a manager who can't improve them. Many of the young players he signed in Bennett, Lowton, Sylla, Luna, Tonev and those he inherited in Baker, Clark and Weimann either haven't kicked on/improved or more worryingly have gone backwards.

You have to wonder how much Bent and Hutton are really going to want to play for Lambert, how Delph and Gabby are going to react/perform being in the last year of their contracts. In fact we could well start the season with a manager and six players in Nzog, Vlaar, Gabby, Delph, Bent and Hutton with just months remaining on their contracts.

From top to bottom the club is a mess. When Lerner announced the club was for sale I didn't envisage in August having this squad of players with Lambert still manager. If it remains the case come September 1st we will unbelievably be facing even deeper shit than we have encountered the last three seasons.

Pre season does mean sweet F A - i wouldn't use that as a 'crystal ball' to the rest of our season. But i see the point you're making. I think we'll be in the same position this season as the last, potentially a bit higher up the table assuming our team keeps fit. Still got a month of buying and selling to go and a lot can happen. Start worrying in september mate. And then again at christmas once you've had a good look at the team. 

Just read the sun and lamberts quote after groningen game the man is a real joker he just cannot and will not blame players he just defends then all the time Man up lambert you numpty. "You dont want a bad display but i told the players you don't get prizes for winning or losing these games" time to go paul.

Pre season fella - means absolutely nothing. 

Just read the sun and lamberts quote after groningen game the man is a real joker he just cannot and will not blame players he just defends then all the time Man up lambert you numpty. "You dont want a bad display but i told the players you don't get prizes for winning or losing these games" time to go paul.

Pre season fella - means absolutely nothing.

The football is muck the players got no confidence even less now id imagine. We no what football were going to get this season. I am sure by september people will start to see what most of us see and that is villa sliding to the championship.

I wonder if Lambert would like to have Delph and Ron signed onto new contracts?   It's a good thing Lerner can rely on the stupidity of alot of supporters and just keep throwing Lambert out to the wolves.  I admire Lambert for the job he has done and have total respect for him for staying here as long as he has.  It doesn't strike me as a financial decision either and he genuinely cares about the club and the players imo.

I wonder if Lambert would like to have Delph and Ron signed onto new contracts? It's a good thing Lerner can rely on the stupidity of alot of supporters and just keep throwing Lambert out to the wolves. I admire Lambert for the job he has done and have total respect for him for staying here as long as he has. It doesn't strike me as a financial decision either and he genuinely cares about the club and the players imo.

Lambert is like big eck unemployable he wont get another job his stock has dropped hes a poor poor manager even with money his tactical awareness is not upto it thats why hes here.

As much as I am desperate to see the back of Lambert what happens in 12 months time if the club isn't sold and his contract is up. We could be relegated and he might decide its time to go. Who would be any good and take the job on a short term basis?

Lambert is like big eck unemployable he wont get another job his stock has dropped

That's not true though, not while you've got Lerner coming out and saying that the issues are all of his making, not Lambert's, and that Lambert has actually done well given the circumstances. In some ways that's true - keeping us up with the financial cuts is a reasonable achievement on paper, but you have to look a bit deeper than that. 

Could the team we have assembled be doing better than it currently is, and could we have bought better players given the financial restraints? That's the big question. 

On the one hand, if you think we've bought really poorly and the squad is rubbish, then you'd have to lean more towards Lambert actually doing okay to keep us up.

On the other, if you think the squad is capable of better, then you've got to say it's Lambert's fault we've been underperforming.

Lambert buying poorly shouldn't be used as a way of negating expectation on what he should be achieving position wise. Although there have been restrictions on the budget he has had to work within, I do believe he has still had enough resources for me not to consider scrapping survival some sort of achievement.

It's the same with O'Neill who squandered most of his budget on overpaid mediocrity. Nobody forced him to do this and therefore his inability to break into the top-four should be deemed as failure as he had the resources to manage better.

• Like 1

Lambert is like big eck unemployable he wont get another job his stock has dropped

That's not true though, not while you've got Lerner coming out and saying that the issues are all of his making, not Lambert's, and that Lambert has actually done well given the circumstances. In some ways that's true - keeping us up with the financial cuts is a reasonable achievement on paper, but you have to look a bit deeper than that.

Could the team we have assembled be doing better than it currently is, and could we have bought better players given the financial restraints? That's the big question.

On the one hand, if you think we've bought really poorly and the squad is rubbish, then you'd have to lean more towards Lambert actually doing okay to keep us up.

On the other, if you think the squad is capable of better, then you've got to say it's Lambert's fault we've been underperforming.

I see your points mate the whole young and hungry thing with hutton and bent going to bomb squad lambert signing players then either loaning them or bombing them out its just not what a manager does 1 maybe 2 but not as many as he has helenius sylla both gone on loan lowton tonev steer ( hes one for future needs to go on loan). The whole thing is so bad its like admitting you fked up. I know next season is next season but that will be a total mess we have so many players that are outta contract. Lambert has looked to get cheap untested players he had high earning players not playing and picking a huge wage lambert has isolated bent hutton and c nzog why on earth would they trust him lowton tonev sylla helenius outted why would they trust him baker clark in and out of team why would they trust him also poor tactics poor decisions thays why i dont trust him just like thousands of others.

I wonder if Lambert would like to have Delph and Ron signed onto new contracts? It's a good thing Lerner can rely on the stupidity of alot of supporters and just keep throwing Lambert out to the wolves. I admire Lambert for the job he has done and have total respect for him for staying here as long as he has. It doesn't strike me as a financial decision either and he genuinely cares about the club and the players imo.

Lambert is like big eck unemployable he wont get another job his stock has dropped hes a poor poor manager even with money his tactical awareness is not upto it thats why hes here.

McLeish got a decent championship job 6 months after he left us.

Lambert will get the same as he's proven there.

I just can't think many premiership owners will be jumping at the chance to appoint Lambert as there manager.

If he left here I think he'd be rebuilding his reputation in the lower leagues.

I think you're part right but think of the scenarios as Lambert has some favourable outcomes:

1) We get relegated. He moves on/gets sacked. Takes some of the blame but not all as it was 'the impossible job'.

2) We survive (just). Decides he's had enough, moves on. Reputation more or less intact.

3) We survive comfortably ~45 points. Moves on or is offered a new contract (whoever the owner is).

The one he needs to avoid is:

4) the season implodes from the start, loses the fans early and walks off into the sunset with a reputation in need of serious repair.

I can't see a new owner sticking with him, he will need to have an unbelievable season for the majority of fans to be won round again.

I think if we barely survive or get relegated he's destined to work at a lower level before a prem club gives him another chance.

I just can't think many premiership owners will be jumping at the chance to appoint Lambert as there manager.

If he left here I think he'd be rebuilding his reputation in the lower leagues.

I think you're part right but think of the scenarios as Lambert has some favourable outcomes:

1) We get relegated. He moves on/gets sacked. Takes some of the blame but not all as it was 'the impossible job'.

2) We survive (just). Decides he's had enough, moves on. Reputation more or less intact.

3) We survive comfortably ~45 points. Moves on or is offered a new contract (whoever the owner is).

The one he needs to avoid is:

4) the season implodes from the start, loses the fans early and walks off into the sunset with a reputation in need of serious repair.

Seriously think 4 is the most likely option and that would damage us for years to come think we could actually get double relgated like city did a while ago.

The fans are the stupid ones? Get over your "better fan syndrome". I don't think there are many fans that think Lerner has been a poor owner and has left the club on the edge. But that doesn't excuse that as a manager Lambert has not been very good, he has failed to improve HIS players, he has failed to motivate his team, and his tactics on the whole have been terrible.
  • Like 1

when all said and done lambert has NOT been given a genuine premiership budget over the last few years, the club is falling behind other clubs.

lambert might be a decent manager but as the old saying goes " you carnt saw a piece of wood with a blunt saw"! 

im sure PL would sleep better if he got milner/barry/young on loan instead of the current mob

• Like 2

when all said and done lambert has NOT been given a genuine premiership budget over the last few years, the club is falling behind other clubs.

lambert might be a decent manager but as the old saying goes " you carnt saw a piece of wood with a blunt saw"!

im sure PL would sleep better if he got milner/barry/young on loan instead of the current mob

Think we would still struggle under him he is a poor tactician he obviously dosnt do defence drills we are like a sieve at the back if he can sort the defence out we got a chance. Possesion is also important if you give opponents 60% most games youll lose and we gave done this too much under his reign.

Think we would still struggle under him he is a poor tactician he obviously dosnt do defence drills we are like a sieve at the back if he can sort the defence out we got a chance. Possesion is also important if you give opponents 60% most games youll lose and we gave done this too much under his reign.

im not defending lambert just saying the facts about team finance, we may never know if hes good,was moyes found out at united in the same way? 

do you think the fella at man city could do better than pl? 

i carnt see how any coach could make baker.clarke/gorden bennet/luna into better players.

like i said if lambert had better players like the trio i named,the possesion % would improve hence more goals etc.. how good did ron look in the dutch side this summer? with better players in the fold the guzan hoof to teki would be plan B instead of plan A 

The fans are the stupid ones? Get over your "better fan syndrome". I don't think there are many fans that think Lerner has been a poor owner and has left the club on the edge. But that doesn't excuse that as a manager Lambert has not been very good, he has failed to improve HIS players, he has failed to motivate his team, and his tactics on the whole have been terrible.

Ok then none of the Villa fans are stupid and I was implying that I'm a better fan than everybody by stating that some Villa fans are short-sighted....  

Did Lambert motivate his players when we put that run together at the end of 2012-2013 season to stay up?   Did the injuries last year have a major effect on our form?   Did he motivate Guzan by dropping Given after 2 games and instilling confidence in him by making him No.1?  Has Westwood improved?  Has Vlaar improved? Has Delph improved?  

Plenty of his other players haven't improved and imo this is down to the fact that they aren't capable of improving.  This is because we had to shop in a market where the majority of our signings are gambles. You can blame the owner for that and stop expecting the manager to solve everything with one hand tied behind his back!

• Like 1

Â