Paul Lambert

limpid

The problem at Villa has always been a collective one, so I see no point in blaming any individual for it.

The game itself is a collective one and some players have a profound effect on others for the good and the bad and that can sometimes be difficult to detect, just like the problems off the field.

I would prefere to say.... as a group we have struggled for some time now and the signs do not seem to be getting much better....sure we will change players, change CEO's and managers, but not much changes. You can change the bowler, but we need to change the bowling.

Even if a new owner comes in, it has all been assumed it will get better....Unless it is an owner that can negate all the Nous required, by throwing huge sums at it and getting it wrong becomes immaterial, because  the rule of "we are bound to get it right eventually" applies ......I don't see much future.

I am fascinated to see one of these "more money than sense" men come forward.....perhaps Man city & PSG can tell us how to attract them.

• Like 3

So doom and gloom. We're a football club, just like the majority. We have good seasons and bad, win the odd cup. That's the nature of the beast.

I wonder if those alive between 1920 and 1957 were this consistently miserable.

I'm sure they were they just had nowhere to moan about it.

• Like 2

So doom and gloom. We're a football club, just like the majority. We have good seasons and bad, win the odd cup. That's the nature of the beast.

well... averaging 8th placed finish during that period perhaps not.

Im sure they had a wee celebration when WW2 ended

This is actually a good point. There is so much doom and gloom because our expectations are so high. As time goes by we will be grateful for promotions and relegation survival like the rest.

well... averaging 8th placed finish during that period perhaps not.

Actually between 1920 and 1957 our average position was 10th not 8th  (10.26 to be precise). During Randy Lerners stewardship our average position is 10th or 11th, (depending if you round up or down as the exact figure is 10.5), so not a great deal of difference.

Presumably supporters in the earlier period had more reason to moan though as they saw our first ever relegation in 1935/36

They were busy dying for freedom I. Spain and WW2

So if we survive this season, considering the circumstances, can it be assumed Lambert has done a good job?

I keep changing my mind on this. A week ago I felt that nothing this season could really be put on Lambert but then thinking about it are the current restraints worse than last summer?

Yes the club is for sale and yes the owner is useless. But Lambert has been able to bring in a big name as his assistant manager. He's also been allowed to sign experienced premiership players, which last summer he did not have the ability to do due to wage limitations. I think the 3 we've signed are probably earning more or at least the same as all the signings we made last summer. Add to this that he's been allowed to bring the bomb squad back into the action and we're potentially signing the likes of ki and I start to think he's got it better than he did last summer.

So given that I'm starting to question it again. Should all the blame be put on Lerner if this season is poor? Now I'm in no way defending the owner or claiming he's funded enough for us to expect a good season but there's a real difference between our current activity and what went on last summer.

So if we survive this season, considering the circumstances, can it be assumed Lambert has done a good job?

I keep changing my mind on this. A week ago I felt that nothing this season could really be put on Lambert but then thinking about it are the current restraints worse than last summer?

Yes the club is for sale and yes the owner is useless. But Lambert has been able to bring in a big name as his assistant manager. He's also been allowed to sign experienced premiership players, which last summer he did not have the ability to do due to wage limitations. I think the 3 we've signed are probably earning more or at least the same as all the signings we made last summer. Add to this that he's been allowed to bring the bomb squad back into the action and we're potentially signing the likes of ki and I start to think he's got it better than he did last summer.

So given that I'm starting to question it again. Should all the blame be put on Lerner if this season is poor? Now I'm in no way defending the owner or claiming he's funded enough for us to expect a good season but there's a real difference between our current activity and what went on last summer.

I agree. Whilst signing top players isn't going to happen a good manager still needs to get the best out of what he has available. Last season I don't think Lambert managed to do that. Therefore if it seems the player are lacklustre (like last season), tactics are consistently wrong, and performances are still negative Lambert in my eyes will still have failed irrelevant whether we stay up or not.

We might sign Ki, although I'm far from convinced we will, but if we do it won't be for the £6m I've seen banded around because I just don't think Lambert has that sort of money to spend. I don't think he could afford to go and buy Kozak or Okore this summer, some will probably say good, but for me that is a real concern.

When judging Lambert I think we need to go all the way back to last season. When Lerner said "you have X amount to use" did Lambert then decide to plough ahead with the youth project?

When buying these players, they have the potential of increasing in value 3x or 4x over (Benteke). If he didn't have the adaquate resources to buy the youth players like Benteke and he settled on players like Luna for a fraction of the cost, it's a huge oversight by Lambert.

If he didn't have the resources available to him then, which he or Lerner has acknowledged this season, he should have brought back the bomb squad and signed the Bosmans last season.

The Bosman players are here to get us "over the line" until new owners come in. It is effectively admitting defeat for Lamberts or Lerners plan of youth. The Bosmans will never increase in value 3x or 4x. They have hit their uninspiring peak and will hopefully be a stop gap for a massive hole or two in the team.

Back on point, if Lerner insisted we follow the youth project and didn't give resources last season, he is to blame.

If Lambert ploughed ahead with the youth project and couldn't get his number 1 targets (or more worryingly he did), he is to blame.

We will never know for sure.

We have diced wuth relegation last fews years we need more quality lerner knows this wigan survived on a thin budget then they ran outta luck thst will happen to us but lerner has made his bed so he better lie in it. We will struggle again this season dont you worry about that young and hungry didnt work nor will tightening the pursestrings villa as a big club is no more folks

I don't think the tactics he uses really matters. It's all about results for the time being.

I'd agree to an extent, but if a poor tactical decision leads to a defeat (which I think did happen last season) then rightfully he should be criticised.

• Like 1

We might sign Ki, although I'm far from convinced we will, but if we do it won't be for the £6m I've seen banded around because I just don't think Lambert has that sort of money to spend. I don't think he could afford to go and buy Kozak or Okore this summer, some will probably say good, but for me that is a real concern.

When judging Lambert I think we need to go all the way back to last season. When Lerner said "you have X amount to use" did Lambert then decide to plough ahead with the youth project?

When buying these players, they have the potential of increasing in value 3x or 4x over (Benteke). If he didn't have the adaquate resources to buy the youth players like Benteke and he settled on players like Luna for a fraction of the cost, it's a huge oversight by Lambert.

If he didn't have the resources available to him then, which he or Lerner has acknowledged this season, he should have brought back the bomb squad and signed the Bosmans last season.

The Bosman players are here to get us "over the line" until new owners come in. It is effectively admitting defeat for Lamberts or Lerners plan of youth. The Bosmans will never increase in value 3x or 4x. They have hit their uninspiring peak and will hopefully be a stop gap for a massive hole or two in the team.

Back on point, if Lerner insisted we follow the youth project and didn't give resources last season, he is to blame.

If Lambert ploughed ahead with the youth project and couldn't get his number 1 targets (or more worryingly he did), he is to blame.

We will never know for sure.

If i was going to sum up this post for me i'd use this

missed-targets-and-missed-sales.gif

• Like 2

I don't think the tactics he uses really matters. It's all about results for the time being.

I'd agree to an extent, but if a poor tactical decision leads to a defeat (which I think did happen last season) then rightfully he should be criticised.

Tactics get results?

Â