Paul Lambert

limpid

In terms of league finish then last season wasn't our worst ever premier league season. In terms of points gained combined with goal difference then it was.

Whichever way you cut the cake last season was absolutely terrible especially when you consider all of the shite served up.

The fact we finished the season with some of the worst run of results I can ever remember doesn't bode well for next season either. We will need a decent start or the hangover from last season will continue and we will quickly find ourselves in deep trouble with supporters tearing their hair out.

• Like 3

Lets be honest if we weren't in this situation then Lambert would have been sacked in may. He probably knows it too.

Hopefully that's a kick up the arse for him, also the new owners hopefully don't sand for such a horrendous season and tell him that in no uncertain terms but also actually back him a bit more then Randy did.

Yeah, Lambert isn't one of the best but I honestly don't know how people can brand as one of the worst ever (or the worst Premier League manager).

I think they can brand him worst premier league manager as there's a case to argue that last year was our worst season in the premier league.

I don't agree that it's the worst, but even if it was that doesn't really mean a great deal when you consider the conditions he had to work under with regards to injuries and spending.

To be honest I think people exaggerate how bad last season was just a little bit. It was poor yes, but up until the end of March (and Benteke's injury) it felt like a pretty non-eventful season where we weren't challenging for anything but weren't in any danger of going down either.

Lambert's first season was much worse for me.

See I'm the opposite, I thought last season worse.

I'd disagree about it feeling non eventful till march, I always felt we were liable to drop down the league.

I think you have to take account the constraints he's worked under but at the same time I think the last couple of seasons justify the case put forward that he could be our worst premiership manager.

• Like 1

I'd disagree about it feeling non eventful till march, I always felt we were liable to drop down the league.

The fact we struggled so badly last season was a surprise to me. We had a decent finish to 12/13, spent a few pennies and made half a dozen purchases and with the young lads a year older and wiser I thought we would really kick on. The fact that we went backwards and the fact the football served us was as bad as anything I'd seen in my 30+ years following us was not expected.

It did however become quickly apparent to many that we would struggle. Even after beating Southampton away at the start of December and we were sitting 10th there were many supporters saying that if we continue to play as we have been then we will be in deep shit and so it proved.

Yeah, Lambert isn't one of the best but I honestly don't know how people can brand as one of the worst ever (or the worst Premier League manager).

I think they can brand him worst premier league manager as there's a case to argue that last year was our worst season in the premier league.
I don't agree that it's the worst, but even if it was that doesn't really mean a great deal when you consider the conditions he had to work under with regards to injuries and spending.

To be honest I think people exaggerate how bad last season was just a little bit. It was poor yes, but up until the end of March (and Benteke's injury) it felt like a pretty non-eventful season where we weren't challenging for anything but weren't in any danger of going down either.

Lambert's first season was much worse for me.

I think you have to take account the constraints he's worked under but at the same time I think the last couple of seasons justify the case put forward that he could be our worst premiership manager.

IMO the last bit of a season has a disproportionate effect on people's opinions of the season as a whole. In Lambert's first season we were really good for the last third but dreadful for pretty much the entirety of the first two thirds (that's why we kept on dropping in and out of the relegation zone). Last season we were dreadful in the last third (actually more like the last quarter really) and mostly ok for the rest of the season (barring the usual Christmas meltdown). The only time we ever looked like dropping into the relegation zone was near the end of the season, and even then we never came really close. In Lambert's first season on the other hand we looked dead and buried halfway through.

I mean, just look at the mood on here. Last summer there was immense optimism yet now it's the exact opposite, despite the fact that we were far more steady for most of last season. I know there are other factors like the ownership situation and lack of money but I do think that end of last season is weighing on people's minds perhaps a bit more than it should be.

Obviously in terms of points last season was worse but we came a lot closer to going down in 12/13.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

I'd agree the way we ended the season has an effect on the optimism, or lack of at the moment.

But I'm not sure I'd say it was just the last quarter. I think we picked up 18 pts from the 2nd half of the season. I think apart from a couple of games the whole second half was very poor.

I think my lack of optimism comes from I don't really see how we're going to improve that much from how we finished the season.

The way we ended the season before (12/13) probably had a lot of fans (and i fear the player and manager as well) thinking we were a lot better than we turned out to be.

Maybe coming in to this season everybody will be ready for a very hard season and and will be able to rise to the challenge.

Here's hoping...

I'd agree the way we ended the season has an effect on the optimism, or lack of at the moment.

But I'm not sure I'd say it was just the last quarter. I think we picked up 18 pts from the 2nd half of the season. I think apart from a couple of games the whole second half was very poor.

I think my lack of optimism comes from I don't really see how we're going to improve that much from how we finished the season.

It's worth remembering though that we only got 4 points from the last 9 games. Our record for the rest of 2014 before that was ok.

If the 18 points stat is correct then that means we got 14 points in the other 10 games, which is fine.

Edited by Mantis

It wasn't just the last quarter. In our last 24 games of last season we took just 19 points the same amount we had taken in the first 14. In our last 9 we took just 4 points but that still means in the 15 games proceeding that terrible run we had only taken 15 points.

We had an abysmal final two thirds of last season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

We didn't have an abysmal final two thirds though. IIRC we'd taken 34 points by the 29th game. That ratio over the entire season gives you over 44 points, which while not anything to shout about would've seen us finish around 12th and 11 points clear of relegation. The horrendous run of games at the end massively skew the stats and mask what was an ok season (at least compared to 12/13) up until then.

Edited by Mantis

Yeah, last season we never really looked in danger of relegation and even in the end with the crap finish it turned out we had put enough points on the board back in March with the win over Chelsea. 

The season before I thought we were going under when we were getting thrashed by Wigan at Christmas, not that it really matters arguing which season was worse. 

Yeah, last season we never really looked in danger of relegation and even in the end with the crap finish it turned out we had put enough points on the board back in March with the win over Chelsea. 

The season before I thought we were going under when we were getting thrashed by Wigan at Christmas, not that it really matters arguing which season was worse. 

Indeed, it's the same as arguing who's the most dire manager out of McLeish and Lerner.  Not a lot to choose in overall crapness.  I just want to see the back of Lerner and Lambert, but unfortunately there's no sign.

Indeed, it's the same as arguing who's the most dire manager out of McLeish and Lerner.  Not a lot to choose in overall crapness.  I just want to see the back of Lerner and Lambert, but unfortunately there's no sign.

Unfortunately the above sums thing up a treat. The worry for me is that the longer Lerner hangs around just avoiding relegation becomes the norm and almost seen as acceptable and as success certainly for supporters of a younger ilk. For this great club that should never ever be the case though.

• Like 1

Lamberts first season was progression of a sort, second season was regression from a spirited start.....that the main reason for the down beat feeling from supporters, whatever the reasons of mitigation.

Costa Rica, Uruguay, Mexico, Algeria, Argentina 1st game and technically even Chile all playing 5 at the back.

a lot of managers copying the Lambert approach ;)

You are dead right about that,apart from Aegentina every other team you mention are out of the cup.

That`s the Lambert way allright.

Costa Rica, Uruguay, Mexico, Algeria, Argentina 1st game and technically even Chile all playing 5 at the back.

a lot of managers copying the Lambert approach ;)

You are dead right about that,apart from Aegentina every other team you mention are out of the cup.

That`s the Lambert way allright.

Costa Rica aren't ;) Holland  actually play it as well

Edited by Zatman

Yes, if we had two good fullbacks and were able to distribute the football forwards from the centre backs along the ground, it might not totally suck when we employed it as well. Unfortunately, we don't and we can't, so it does. 

Â