Paul Lambert

limpid

I've also said (many times in fact) that in terms of wages we just haven't been able to compete with most other Premier League clubs.

But you've defended our level of spending. If you think what he's been given is OK then surely you can't then use it as a reason to defend such poor performances and results.

Just because I don't take extreme black and white views doesn't mean I don't think everything has been ok on the investment front.

But you did. You had no issue with the amount of funding he was given this past January window.

I've also said (many times in fact) that in terms of wages we just haven't been able to compete with most other Premier League clubs.

But you've defended our level of spending. If you think what he's been given is OK then surely you can't then use it as a reason to defend such poor performances and results.

Just because I don't take extreme black and white views doesn't mean I don't think everything has been ok on the investment front.

But you did. You had no issue with the amount of funding he was given this past January window.

Don't recall that but even if I did, since when does being ok with one specific window equate to being ok with everything regarding investment?

Don't recall that but even if I did, since when does being ok with one specific window equate to being ok with everything regarding investment?

So which transfer window did you think was an unacceptable level of investment? Because if you didn't have an issue with the last one i can't see why you'd have an issue with others.

I'm not sure people claim he has done "well" blandy, at best people will have said he has done well in the circumstances, which regardless of if you agree with their parameters of the financial limitations or not is still the context in which people have expressed that view.

I don't think anyone, and I do mean anyone has said he has done well as an unqualified statement. I think that is an important distinction.

I'm never going to argue that the home form was good enough, clearly it wasn't even with limited financial banking (whatever level you view that to be). I think he has done reasonably well as stated previously taking everything into account, or my perception of everything anyway given that so much is based on opinions or assumptions for us all.

I agree there hasn't been progression in results or play, I guess we just differ on how realistic we feel it is to have expected them.

For me I guess its a case of I don't think he deserves the sack more than I think he deserves to stay in the job. 

I still think he is a good manager, irrespective of the results the last two years even those at home. I would just like to see him given a better opportunity to prove it.

As for lucky, lucky not to have been sacked probably, lucky to be trying to manage the contrasting expectations of the fans and owner on the budget he has had? Not so lucky.

• Like 3

So which transfer window did you think was an unacceptable level of investment? Because if you didn't have an issue with the last one i can't see why you'd have an issue with others.

It's more the wages I have a problem with.

I'm never going to argue that the home form was good enough, clearly it wasn't even with limited financial banking (whatever level you view that to be). I think he has done reasonably well...

I agree there hasn't been progression in results or play, I guess we just differ on how realistic we feel it is to have expected them.

For me I guess its a case of I don't think he deserves the sack more than I think he deserves to stay in the job. 

I still think he is a good manager, irrespective of the results the last two years even those at home. I would just like to see him given a better opportunity to prove it.

As for lucky, lucky not to have been sacked probably, lucky to be trying to manage the contrasting expectations of the fans and owner on the budget he has had? Not so lucky.

I think in football team terms he's done badly. Not badly "in the circs". Just badly rerardless of circs. Badly full stop. The results, as I said (and most agree) are just not good enough at home. Away, OK, not brilliant.

Style of play - bad. Development of players - bad. Overall recruitment quality - reasonable at best given the budget.

I don't agree about expectations of fans and owner, at all. Whatever Randy is judging him by (and I doubt it's results on the pitch) is up to him. But ANY set of fans ANYWHERE would be unhappy with the level of home performance in particular, regardless of owner or anything else. That's nothing to do with bad luck and everything to do with supporters everywhere wanting to see something worth their time and effort and expense, and eventually becoming fed up when they don't get it. There's nothing unique about Villa in this regard. And there's nothing unique about the situation of a Manager or supporters wishing there was more money to spend.

I don't particular care either way if Lambert gets sacked. I'd love him to do well here. He's nowhere near the bad manager that some people have claimed he is, but - results are the judge and jury.

Excellent post Blandy and I agree other than as you may guess I want him sacked. Unfortunately the whole for sale thing has put the club in disarray IMO. He has had his chance to show at least a spark of hope but I really think he has lost the plot.

Look at West Ham last season I think a 12th place finish (with an injury list worse than ours) and the season before was top ten but because their fans don't like his style of play they boo wins and call for Fat Sam out. Same with Pardew, top ten finishes, best players sold and not replaced and they still want him out. 

Lambert is the luckiest manager in the league.

Bloody hell we have gone from being fickle to being the most patient fans in the land

• Like 1

Excellent post Blandy and I agree other than as you may guess I want him sacked. Unfortunately the whole for sale thing has put the club in disarray IMO. He has had his chance to show at least a spark of hope but I really think he has lost the plot.

Look at West Ham last season I think a 12th place finish (with an injury list worse than ours) and the season before was top ten but because their fans don't like his style of play they boo wins and call for Fat Sam out. Same with Pardew, top ten finishes, best players sold and not replaced and they still want him out. 

Bloody hell we have gone from being fickle to being the most patient fans in the land

A team full of prem players on prem wages. That isn't a comparrison to us.

Sorry I thought we were also in the prem? Or did I miss something?

I also wonder who has the higher wage bill? We are still in the top ten I think? At £70m per year from the last accounts?

I also wonder who has the higher wage bill? We are still in the top ten I think? At £70m per year from the last accounts?

Yeah that's right we also have a squad full of prem players on prem wages. Silly me.

...I agree other than as you may guess I want him sacked. Unfortunately the whole for sale thing has put the club in disarray IMO. He has had his chance to show at least a spark of hope but I really think he has lost the plot.

I agree with a chunk of that, but not all of it. You're right about the disarray, the "lost the plot", too - though I think it could be found again, if he has the desire.

West Ham, well our injury list was worse, according to the spods who measure these things - only Arsenal had it worse.

Agree re their fans, and Newcastle's - that's my (our) point really. He's not unlucky, he's lucky. I'm happy to give him more chance - either with no money, because he's shown he can keep us up with small funds, or with more, because we don't know, any of us how he'd do. Equally, the reasons for him to be sacked are also clear. Results, lack of improvement in players and control of games.

For me it's a real knife edge thing, and the future of the club needs to be sorted out sharpish, as number one priority, to allow the manager, whoever it is to have the best chance to get next season right.

Most of those transfer valuations are way out - £10m on Benteke? £3m on Lowton?

Edited by theboyangel

I don't particular care either way if Lambert gets sacked. I'd love him to do well here. He's nowhere near the bad manager that some people have claimed he is, but - results are the judge and jury.

Well, results say he IS as bad a manager as people claim.

Id say Andy Carroll, James COllins and Stewart Downing is probably on more than our entire squad put together

Look at WHU's wage bill Carroll on 100k, the same West Ham who were able to spend £15m on one player last year? Newcastle sold their best player and lost 14 games in the last 19. They were very lucky Cabaye had done so well for them up till Christmas or they'd have been down. The saleable assets are quickly running out at St James and they're reportedly looking at Bent next season, could do well to stay up.

Â