Paul Lambert

limpid

And the fact is, by hook or by crook and although not aware of it at the time obviously, we were actually safe after the Chelsea game.

That was a long time ago so doesnt actually constitute a relegation battle in the truest sense of the phrase

The 3 points from Hull was when we got effectively clear of relegation.

We reached enough points for survival with the win against Chelsea (at that point we were on course for a comfortable mid table finish as well).

I blame Peter Crouch. We started that Stoke game really well until he somehow made the entire team melt. I think El Ahmadi and Weimann got injured in the first half then a few days later Benteke did his Achilles. Just goes to show when we could get out first XI on the park we are OK but beyond that, hardly anything.

And who`s fault is it that we have no depth to our squad ?

We had the quantity but not the quality as Lambert just bought second rate dross.

Which is what happens when you are shopping in the bargin bin and giving out Championship level wages.

• Like 1

We had the quantity but not the quality as Lambert just bought second rate dross.

What the hell was he supposed to do? People in this thread just baffle me

• Like 3

Why are you baffled? He did buy second rate dross. Do you believe that they were all first rate top notch players?

Why are you baffled? He did buy second rate dross. Do you believe that they were all first rate top notch players?

And according to PF it was up to Lambert how he spent the money? He chose young and hungry and now he has realised his errors and has gone to the other extreme of old and greedy (Holt and now apparently Lescott)

And according to PF it was up to Lambert how he spent the money? He chose young and hungry and now he has realised his errors and has gone to the other extreme of old and greedy (Holt and now apparently Lescott)

It was up to Lambert how he spent the money, yet I'm struggling to see what alternative he had but to sign young and hungry players with the level of transfer fee's and wages he could offer.

The alternative was players past their peak on loan, a bit like Holt.

So seemingly you don't much like either of the alternatives which suggests to me Lambert is probably the wrong person for you to be blaming given he didn't set his own budgets.

• Like 2

And the fact is, by hook or by crook and although not aware of it at the time obviously, we were actually safe after the Chelsea game.

That was a long time ago so doesnt actually constitute a relegation battle in the truest sense of the phrase

But even if we'd lost that we still wouldn't have gone down so............

Unfortunately it seems the majority have indeed turned.

If we don't get off to a good start, I can see things turning very nasty, very quickly.

Personally, I think it's a shame as I wanted him to succeed here, and I think with a bit more time that he can, but I do understand the fans that want him gone - our home record has been poor, and perhaps more importantly the performances have gone backwards over the last 12 months.

Perhaps I'm a fool, but I hope that he is given until Xmas to see if he can turn things around - if we are still where we are, I will accept that this is just not going to work and that he then has to go.

If we don't get off to a good start, I can see things turning very nasty, very quickly.

Personally, I think it's a shame as I wanted him to succeed here, and I think with a bit more time that he can, but I do understand the fans that want him gone - our home record has been poor, and perhaps more importantly the performances have gone backwards over the last 12 months.

Perhaps I'm a fool, but I hope that he is given until Xmas to see if he can turn things around - if we are still where we are, I will accept that this is just not going to work and that he then has to go.

I think it's about 50/50, it's just that the 'lambert-out-campaigners' tend to be a little noisier :)

It was up to Lambert how he spent the money, yet I'm struggling to see what alternative he had but to sign young and hungry players with the level of transfer fee's and wages he could offer.

The alternative was players past their peak on loan, a bit like Holt.

So seemingly you don't much like either of the alternatives which suggests to me Lambert is probably the wrong person for you to be blaming given he didn't set his own budgets.

He knew the task when he signed up.

From a team selection and motivation point of view he has performed poorly.

Lerner is killing the club and Lambert is the chief executioner!

I think it's about 50/50, it's just that the 'lambert-out-campaigners' tend to be a little noisier :)

No they both need to pack up and leave quickly before any further damage is done!

I think the majority have turned with the idea that Lerner is selling the club.

If Randy stays then there is really very little point in getting rid of Lambert because the money just isn't there to rebuild a decent squad. If Lambert is given £20m to buy 2 or 3 key players (if we can afford the wages) then we will finish 15th - 10th which is about the best we can hope for given the investment. 

However if there is a takeover then that all changes.

Edited by PieFacE

But even if we'd lost that we still wouldn't have gone down so............

Well obviously it is a truism that the win against Chelsea took us to 34 points which was higher than the final points total for the 18th placed club, so in retrospect that was the point at which we became "safe". But no-one knew that at the time and we were still at risk of relegation for a while after that, particularly after we lost our next four games.

We went into the Hull game on 35 points with the 18th placed club on 31 so clearly at that stage the risk of getting sucked into relegation was still live. After the Hull game only an exceptionally unlikely combination of results could have relegated us so that is the point at which the risk of relegation all but receded.

Â