Paul Lambert

limpid

For me he just wasn't good enough. He had players at his disposal that went backwards this season just like the team. The tea, should have performed better this season but he wasn't capable of motivating them or getting tactics right. 

His buys have been hit and miss, and he has been unlucky this season with injuries. Sad it hasn't worked out for him and if he does go I won't be too worried.

I completely agree the tea has been way below par!  :P

Sack the Tea Lady! :)

• Like 1

Not celebrating at all. It's really depressing having all that hope and optimism crushed out of me. But he failed in almost every department,

Looking at our history of managers since Saunders, it really is poor. I'd actually say that Big Ron was the only 'good' one. Others like Little and Gregory were ok and the rest including MON just crap.

Barton was RS right hand man and guided us through the 82 victory so he will always be a legend.

It is essential that PF has nothing to do with the next appointment.

Change the manager as often as you want, give him shit money to spend and he can't do too much. Yep mistakes made, yep last few months have been dreadful , yes not much progress on last year. But what did the useless owner we have spend? Lerner is useless and worse than Ellis in my opinion

Best manager since saunders eh richard?
yes he is and pity he was not afforded the monetary tools to show it

A clear example of somebody who has invested so much credibility in holding a certain opinion, that they would rather fall on their sword rather then concede that they were not correct.

or someone with a different opinion to others which you so obviously fail to accept and so obviously fail to accept that someone can have a different opinion to the baying crowd.

You have an opinion I have a different one accept it without trying to belittle or insult , you'll find you get through life much easier

I'm sorry but while I completely accept to right to air them, nonsensical opinions are open to belittling. Just as I would expect the same if I claimed something that Yacouba Sylla is the best player to wear a Villa shirt in the last 20 years.

Also there was no insult in my reponse. So let's not play the victim again.

belittling ? Sorry but belittling anyone on here for an opinion is one of those things that mod type people get frustrated about. It's a place for villa opinions not for belittling because one opinion is different to yours , that's a bit bullying really and shroud waving in front of a crowd
  • Like 1

I think one of the most damning things has been inability to get best out of the players, and inability to get them to move and look for free space. We are able to play to good football and take the game at the opponents like against Liverpool this season but in many games our players either looked disinterested or scared.

Without terrible luck with injuries we would almost have certainly done better to the point that 'progress' has been made, on a shoestring.

Yes, all clubs have to deal with injuries but this season has been especially damaging for us. Lambert has also made mistakes, but he's human and will have learned from them.

I think it's a shame PL won't be given the opportunity to build on the current squad for a third season with a bigger budget.

He's been shafted by Lerner by not releasing funds when needed.

Without injuries we might have only lost 4-2 to Stoke and Swansea, 3-1 to Spurs, might have sneaked a point at home to Fulham too. 

• Like 1

If there's a buyout, he simply has to go. But, if Lerner decides to stay on and have the same transfer policy, well, that's a slightly different scenario. On one hand, yeah I want him gone.

He's spent approx £20m between seasons and gone backwards IMO. However, you can factor in injuries to key players as well as all the trouble behind the scenes. Still, after saying that keeping us up is his best achievement, undermining winning the Champions League, that shows his mentality. I think he should go because his mind clearly isn't right and another season is only going to see us deteriorate further under his management.

Edited by villarocker

Looking at our history of managers since Saunders, it really is poor. I'd actually say that Big Ron was the only 'good' one. Others like Little and Gregory were ok and the rest including MON just crap.

You've omitted the best of the bunch there pal. Graham Taylor in his first spell with us did an unbelievable job. He inherited a way bigger shambles than Lambert and not only got us promoted at the first attempt but two years later we were finishing runners up in the top flight. He revamped the club from top to bottom and did it pretty much on a shoe string budget. I thought we were getting another Graham Taylor in Paul Lambert. I was wrong.

Edited by markavfc40

Without terrible luck with injuries we would almost have certainly done better to the point that 'progress' has been made, on a shoestring.

Yes, all clubs have to deal with injuries but this season has been especially damaging for us. Lambert has also made mistakes, but he's human and will have learned from them.

I think it's a shame PL won't be given the opportunity to build on the current squad for a third season with a bigger budget.

He's been shafted by Lerner by not releasing funds when needed.

Without the good luck we had before Xmas we'd have been relegated for sure. When the luck ran out we sank like a stone.

It works both ways.

• Like 1

You've omitted the best of the bunch there pal. Graham Taylor in his first spell with us did an unbelievable job. He inherited a way bigger shambles than Lambert and not only got us promoted at the first attempt but two years later we were finishing runners up in the top flight. He revamped the club from top to bottom and did it pretty much on a shoe string budget. I thought we were getting another Graham Taylor in Paul Lambert. I was wrong.

Fair point. Although the football was superior under Big Ron.

Edited by Shaw_nuff

We haven't made progress under Lambert of any description, whatever qualifications are added to the story.

Of course, if things had gone better for Lambert, he would have done better. That's a truism that applies to any manager.

But the reality is we have done worse this season than last and his whole strategy has therefore failed.

Edited by briny_ear

Change the manager as often as you want, give him shit money to spend and he can't do too much. Yep mistakes made, yep last few months have been dreadful , yes not much progress on last year. But what did the useless owner we have spend? Lerner is useless and worse than Ellis in my opinion

Best manager since saunders eh richard?
yes he is and pity he was not afforded the monetary tools to show it
Bottom line is Richard that there has been no improvement from last season which has been the last bastion of defence. It would be better that you just admit you've been wrong about him and be done with it.

True no progress. But is PL the right one to blaime?

I think most of the criticisms against Lambert are fair ones but this "luck" nonsense is really getting tedious.

So is the denial that we have ever had any.

Nobody is saying we haven't had any luck. It's just ridiculous how some people overestimate how much "luck" we've had this season. In the grand scheme of things I don't think we've been that lucky at all.

Edited by Mantis

Â