Paul Lambert

limpid

Stupid to sack the best manager since Ron Saunders.

tumblr_inline_n1ickge8VU1rn347n.gif

I will remember this post. If Lambert loses his job, his next team in the Premier League (or whatever league) will finish above Villa. If he, as I hope, stays at Villa, you will eat your words next season.

• Like 1

Let's all just be totally honest here please. If we had attacked or defended last night in all probability we would have been well beaten.

The Lambert detractors are just using this match as a stick to beat him with, which reflects more on their current intransigence, than it does on Paul Lambert.

I expected to lose last night... Man City are miles ahead of us. So, i'll just point to the other 18 defeats, insipid football, tactical naievity and the life sucked out of the club I love as a reason to why Lambert has to go

I agree, no one expected us to beat them and there are lots of reasons apart from their mega rich squad, going for the title, and we had nothing to play for in relative terms, we are riddled with injuries to key players and so on......but hey, we beat them at our place and despite their 4 or 5 chances we kept them out for 64 minutes with a partisan crowd behind them.

we still got undone by not picking players up rather than their Barcelona style football from them, basic stuff like defending the back post or getting a foot in is still lacking, making that sensible pass rather than a schoolboy error...its still in evidence.....basic things at a pro club, missing.

The lack of ball control still makes us have to work so hard, so we start losing a man due to fatigue, misplaced passes contributes much the same to energy sapping......i just don't see any of these things getting any better.

Having said that, I did enjoy the little cameo's of one or two good passes being strung together.....its so frustrating though.

4-0 after keeping them out for so long tells its own story.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I will remember this post. If Lambert loses his job, his next team in the Premier League (or whatever league) will finish above Villa. If he, as I hope, stays at Villa, you will eat your words next season.

Obviously his next team will HAVE to be in the same league as us to finish above us.

I won't eat my words because I don't give a rats ass what he does next as long as he **** off. He can win the World Cup for all I care.

• Like 1

It looks to be mortally wounded for me and Im not sure he has the fight in him for another season.

If there is no takeover and no increase investment from the owner he would be best walking as ultimately we will be relegated next season anyway.

I've seen this a lot on here and I'm not sure I totally agree. Let's say Lambert get's 3 £7m players in the summer, let's say a LB and two central midfielders, one more defensive and one more a trequartista. Add to that Benteke, Okore, Kozak, Carruthers, Gardner, Zog and Gabby back to fitness. Plus Grealish, Robinson and maybe DJ and one or two more pushing through from the academy and the current crop being a year older and wiser. I'd say we'd be mid-table barring another Culverhouse/Karsa mental happening and a crazy injury crisis or two.

Hmmm- has any of our kids bar Gabby been good enough to play for any other side in the prem in the last 10 years? I don't think hoping the kids will be alright is a good tactic any more. I won't get fooled again on that one.

Gardener (Blunderland), Cahill (Chelsea), Bannan (Palace). Davies(Southampton), Ridgewell(West Brazil).

The only reason he played such a defensive formation is because we have an abundance of (fit and/or experienced) defenders, unlike our midfield and attack. How way, way over the top would people on here have gone if he'd have started players like tonev, sylla and holt? There was no way he was going to start with Grealish or Robinson - be realistic.

The only other alternative in my opinion was a 4-4-2 of: Guzan; Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Clark; Bacuna, Westwood, Delph, Bertrand; Weimann, Bowery. Would have given us more width and the two wide midfielders in Bacuna and Bertrand could have helped defensively. 

What are people really expecting? Villa are a huge club in a historical and traditional sense, but now we're a low to mid-table team. It's time people also realised that this isn't Football Manager. People calling for Mancini as manager?! Harping on about players that are way, way out of our league etc..get a grip.

• Like 1

Let's all just be totally honest here please. If we had attacked or defended last night in all probability we would have been well beaten.

The Lambert detractors are just using this match as a stick to beat him with, which reflects more on their current intransigence, than it does on Paul Lambert.

I expected to lose last night... Man City are miles ahead of us. So, i'll just point to the other 18 defeats, insipid football, tactical naievity and the life sucked out of the club I love as a reason to why Lambert has to go

I agree, no one expected us to beat them and there are lots of reasons apart from their mega rich squad, going for the title, and we had nothing to play for in relative terms, we are riddled with injuries to key players and so on......but hey, we beat them at our place and despite their 4 or 5 chances we kept them out for 64 minutes with a partisan crowd behind them.

we still got undone by not picking players up rather than their Barcelona style football from them, basic stuff like defending the back post or getting a foot in is still lacking, making that sensible pass rather than a schoolboy error...its still in evidence.....basic things at a pro club, missing.

The lack of ball control still makes us have to work so hard, so we start losing a man due to fatigue, misplaced passes contributes much the same to energy sapping......i just don't see any of these things getting any better.

Having said that, I did enjoy the little cameo's of one or two good passes being strung together.....its so frustrating though.

4-0 after keeping them out for so long tells its own story.

And that makes you wonder what really happens on the training ground? Who is responsible for that we ask?.....the manager maybe?

And that makes you wonder what really happens on the training ground? Who is responsible for that we ask?.....the manager maybe?

It is like when the other team often takes a short corner and they have a 2 vs 1 situation how many times does this need to happen before we get wise to it.

It's one thing making mistakes but learn from them. Lambert clearly doesn't.

• Like 1

I don't think there was any shame in last night's results and those criticising Lambert for his tactics in that game just come across as desperate to criticise, frankly.

I really don't get why some posters have to be so over the top all the time. The last few months have been a disaster in terms of our results, so why undermine your credibility by complaining Lambert didn't go out and attack against the best team in the league at home? All it does it generate sympathy for the person you're trying to discredit (who has been doing a more than ample job of discrediting himself lately anyway).

I assure you nobody is 'desperate' to criticise Lambert. There is more than enough evidence to underpin the criticism he gets.

If there was a proposed trial by jury for the criticism of Paul Lambert, The Crown Prosecution Service would immediately dismiss the case out of hand due to insufficient evidence &  would  laugh his accusers out of court.

It looks to be mortally wounded for me and Im not sure he has the fight in him for another season.

If there is no takeover and no increase investment from the owner he would be best walking as ultimately we will be relegated next season anyway.

I've seen this a lot on here and I'm not sure I totally agree. Let's say Lambert get's 3 £7m players in the summer, let's say a LB and two central midfielders, one more defensive and one more a trequartista. Add to that Benteke, Okore, Kozak, Carruthers, Gardner, Zog and Gabby back to fitness. Plus Grealish, Robinson and maybe DJ and one or two more pushing through from the academy and the current crop being a year older and wiser. I'd say we'd be mid-table barring another Culverhouse/Karsa mental happening and a crazy injury crisis or two.

Hmmm- has any of our kids bar Gabby been good enough to play for any other side in the prem in the last 10 years? I don't think hoping the kids will be alright is a good tactic any more. I won't get fooled again on that one.

Gardener (Blunderland), Cahill (Chelsea), Bannan (Palace). Davies(Southampton), Ridgewell(West Brazil).

Gareth Barry (Everton).

Peter Wittingham (Cardiff).

I don't think there was any shame in last night's results and those criticising Lambert for his tactics in that game just come across as desperate to criticise, frankly.

I really don't get why some posters have to be so over the top all the time. The last few months have been a disaster in terms of our results, so why undermine your credibility by complaining Lambert didn't go out and attack against the best team in the league at home? All it does it generate sympathy for the person you're trying to discredit (who has been doing a more than ample job of discrediting himself lately anyway).

I assure you nobody is 'desperate' to criticise Lambert. There is more than enough evidence to underpin the criticism he gets.

There's no "evidence" that setting out to attack Man City at home would have ended in anything other than an absolute mauling. Other teams have endured worse results than we did at the Etihad when they did so and I'm sure everyone criticising him for being defensive would have done so even more if we'd lost 7-0 or 8-0.

So why not just stick to criticising him for his recent run of terrible results? Why does every little thing have to be criticised, even when it isn't worthy of criticism?

I don't even want Lambert here any more. He had his chance this year and he's failed. I just find it hilarious that there's "plenty" of things to criticise him about, yet some posters will still scrabble around in the dirt for the tiniest little stick to beat him with.

If there was a proposed trial by jury for the criticism of Paul Lambert, The Crown Prosecution Service would immediately dismiss the case out of hand due to insufficient evidence &  would  laugh his accusers out of court.

No, there'd be a charge of failing to manage a football team well, and he'd be guilty of it. But, bizarrely, the prosecution would also be attempting to have him charged with several dozen utterly inconsequential misdemeanours...and in doing so, only making it more likely the entire case would be thrown out.

(To stretch the analogy to breaking point).

Edited by Panto_Villan

based on the fact that their "rose tinted glasses" were NOT firmly in place when the accusations were made. :wub:

Edited by TRO

Sorry mate, there is overwhelming evidence. Kinda be like Harold Shipman in the dock

TEN WORST SIGNINGS OF THE SEASON

ERIK LAMELA - £30m Roma to Tottenham

Arrived as one of the brightest young talents in Europe but is now a forgotten man.

ANDREAS CORNELIUS - £8.5m FC Copenhagen to Cardiff

The striker played 11 times, scored no goals and was sold at a huge loss.

IAGO ASPAS - £7.5m Celta Vigo to Liverpool

One of seven Anfield signings last summer but the striker has scored only once.

MAROUANE FELLAINI - £27.5m Everton to Man Utd

A panic buy, the Belgian midfielder has never settled into life at Old Trafford.

RICKY van WOLFSWINKEL - £8.6m Sporting to Norwich

Scored on the opening day but has had just nine shots on target all season.

DANI OSVALDO - £15m Roma to Southampton

Scored only three goals, punched a team-mate and was loaned to Juventus in January.

ROBERTO SOLDADO - £26m Valencia to Tottenham

Arrived with a big reputation but has scored only 11 goals at a cost of £2.3m each.

KOSTAS MITROGLOU - £12.4m Olympiacos to Fulham

Just three appearances since his big-money move in January.

MAMADOU SAKHO - £18m PSG to Liverpool

In 19 games here, the defender has kept only one clean sheet.

JOZY ALTIDORE - £6m AZ Alkmaar to Sunderland

Only scored two all season and outshone by Connor Wickham.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2623613/Erik-Lamela-bought-club-record-30m-hes-barely-kick-Spurs-ANY-value-Argentinian-dud.html#ixzz31ASCA5Si 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Lambert signings of the season

Libor Kozak - £7 million

Scored 4 goals in 8 starts and was becoming a legend when he broke his leg in training 

Leandro Bacuna - £1 million

22-year-old has scored 5 and assisted one in his first Premier League season. He has shown his versatility playing at right back and in midfield.
Edited by Con
  • Like 2

Â