Paul Lambert

limpid

Lambo gave it his best shot but he wasn't ready for the challenge of managing this football club.  Best of luck to him in his next job.

If his challenge was to work on a shoestring budget, get the trouble makers out, clear out the big earners in order to lower the wage bill, utilise the academy players, lower the average age of the squad and keep us in the Premier League, you could argue he was more than ready for this football club.

• Like 1

Shoestring budget? You must have some expensive shoes!

Some of the trouble makers were the staff he bought with him.

A lot of the academy players had already been utilised by previous managers anyway.

If he was ready for this football club he wouldn't be weeks from being sacked IMO.

Good luck to him anyway.

Having had a little more time to reflect on the situation, Lambert surprised me in the end and managed to get us to safety, and all things considered I find myself thinking he deserves another change after all. Like so many others, I was for the better part of the season, and also directly after the Hull game, still firmly in the Lambert out camp. It's all rather strange really, and I honestly can't pinpoint where this is coming from, other than the fact that the rebuilding process Lambert took upon himself (was appointed for), is still so very incomplete.  

I seldom agree with his tactics and team selection, and for most of these last two years, I've yet to see any concrete plan A, let alone a plan B, nor do I feel he has any real understanding of what's happening during the course of a game, and being able to properly adjust accordingly. Yet there's still something about him, he seems like a genuine, honest and likeable bloke, and at the very least he deserves respect for the way that he has carried on through this difficult time. Without a doubt, at least to some extent he's to blame for the mess we've been in. Not being able to find a proper playmaker to improve the squad last summer, instead taking in yet another (useless) striker in January, really is unforgivable. 

I don't really buy into the notion that we won against Hull, solely due to Cowans/Given and their say in matters. IMHO Lambert deserves full credit for leading us to safety, although I'm not disregarding the potential effect Cowans has had in this short period. One would surely hope he's played his part, he is after all an employee of the club. Having said that, Lambert also deserves the full blame for whatever mess Karsa/Culverhouse did or didn't produce, seeing as they where his servants that he brought with him.

I'm also still kind of undecided in regard to the potential takeover, whether it's what we really need at this point. Lerner, it seems has been both good and bad for the club, and if he no longer has the finances or the interest to run the club properly, I'm all for him finding us wealthy new owners, but you never know how these things turn out.

Should potential new owners keep Lambert? I am kinda hoping that Lambert himself answers this for us, in these last two games by producing more of what we saw in the dying parts of last season. I'd really love to see us actually challenging both Citeh and Spurs, seeing as they both still have plenty to play for. Although I'd hate to see Liverpool win the league, I honestly couldn't care less, if it meant that we demolish Citeh at the Etihad.

Come on Lambert, show us what you are worth! Up the Villa!

Lambo gave it his best shot but he wasn't ready for the challenge of managing this football club. Best of luck to him in his next job.

Yeah I wish we were going down with players like Parker and said well on our books. Lambert was more than. ready and has done everything asked of him.

He's the first manager in a while to respect this club and believe in it. I see Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich fans saying they wish they'd kept hold of their manager and they wouldn't of gone down.

I also speak to a lot of Blackburn fans who wanted Sam out wishing they had kept him.

Nows the time to build.

• Like 4

Being a nice man or a decent chap doesn't or shouldn't disguise the fact that his record here has shown that he has mixed it with the worst managers at the club.

The old adage that there should be no sentiment in business should apply to his performance here and I cannot wait for him to leave.

Edited by shaggy
  • Like 2

Too many insipid performances, awful home record, 8-0 beating, no idea of best team or formation most of the time, getting knocked out of cups on a consistent basis by lower league teams, baffling us with his mumbled responses after matches.....for all these reasons and more, bye bye Paul.

Lambo gave it his best shot but he wasn't ready for the challenge of managing this football club. Best of luck to him in his next job.

Yeah I wish we were going down with players like Parker and said well on our books. Lambert was more than. ready and has done everything asked of him.

He's the first manager in a while to respect this club and believe in it. I see Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich fans saying they wish they'd kept hold of their manager and they wouldn't of gone down.

I also speak to a lot of Blackburn fans who wanted Sam out wishing they had kept him.

Nows the time to build.

Two seasons of almost getting relegated says he wasn't good enough.

Lambert out. After the next 2 away games our record will probably be 1 win in 9.

It certainly is the right time for a takeover. Whether it works out ok or not is a debate for the future.

On Lambert I'm more undecided. My heart says I like the guy and I've always wanted it to work for him. If the new owners said they trusted Lambert and were willing to back him with a good new staff and financially, then I'd accept that.

My head says all the other things of poor records, baffling tactics etc. And new owners deserve to have their ideas on a management structure.

Whatever happens I like the bloke, I believe he has succeeded in certain aspects, and I wish him well.

• Like 1

Now we are safe I do think Lambert should be given a chance considering we may be getting taken over.

He deserves the opportunity based on his ability to motivate the team when it really mattered against Hull and contrary to what others think we have played well in plenty of games this season Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and others.

I now life isn't fair but he probably should be given a chance should Villa get extra funds.

• Like 2

Lambert in? Lambert out?.................(In for me obviously)

Anybody wonder what Benteke, Okore & Kozac think?

After all. They are his players & surely it is to their ultimate benefit that the Lambert project continues.

I really can't see the point of destabilising the club by appointing a new manager & starting all over again.

Ofcourse, if a huge backer comes along & wants to inject a massive investment then that's a different story.

I would still want Lambo in this scenario too but that is up to them.

Ifs and buts aside I am sure if Okore and Benteke were fit all season then we'd have been comfortably top ten.

Yup. Look at his "bigger" purchase signings. Benteke, Vlaar, Kozak, Okore. With a decent budjet that can at least match the teams below and over us I think Lambert will become good.

• Like 1

Ifs and buts aside I am sure if Okore and Benteke were fit all season then we'd have been comfortably top ten.

& 2500 Villa fans at Palace would have been doing cartwheels of delight chanting, "We know Lambert's right. We know Lambert's right!" ;)

I guess his contract situation will come into the decision.

It expires next season so the pay off wouldn't be much.

If the owners were keen on spending big they would either make him sign a new deal first or just pay him off and get someone else.

I can't see any new owner coming in giving him millions to spend without him either signing a new deal or them getting someone they want in long term. It would probably be suicidal on their part.

Â