Paul Lambert

limpid

As a Lambert fan who has reached the conclusion he needs to go I would ask those still defending him, regardless of all the circumstances how do they explain what has been a calamitous collapse in our form since December ?

The last half of last season we were showing clear improvement.

Despite the complaints of some on here that was actually being maintained - our first 14 games got us 19 points - not earth shattering but enough to finish the season on 51 - that to me would have been sufficient signs of progress.

But our next 21 games have brought just 16 points.........which would result in 28 points for a season.

So we clearly started last season rocky, improved, continued improving, then fell off a cliff.

The budget, the high rollers, the salaries, the transfer policy, ...none of that explains this.

It is for that reason, and Lamberts inability or unwillingness to offer any explanation or answer to that, that I think we need to move on.

And that is from someone who would have never expected to say so, and is certainly aware of the constraints, and doesn't have a problem with his purcheases, his tactics, or who he plays, or even with having lowered expectations.

It is such a huge collapse compared to the steady progress we had seen and could have expected to continue.

It could have something to do with injuries and having to rely on young inexperienced players in key positions.........

Why does Lambert have more potential than Bruce or Pullis? The only basis i can see for this is that he's young and we haven't seen a lot of him like the other two. However that doesn't mean he has more potential. What's he done to make people think he's got the potential to be great.

Why does Lambert have more potential than Bruce or Pullis? The only basis i can see for this is that he's young and we haven't seen a lot of him like the other two. However that doesn't mean he has more potential. What's he done to make people think he's got the potential to be great.

You could argue regards Bruce but Pullis only knows how to play one way. The stoke fans eventually got fed up of his football. I certainly wouldnt go to watch Villa if he was managing. Edited by HeyAnty

Paul Lambert only plays one way though.

I agree this season that is the case, but the last few months of last season was the best football i saw Villa play for years and was really excited. Just dont know what happened this season. So id argue he knows how to play more than one way.

If I remember correctly, Bruce was fired by Sunderland because of a bad spell. I don't think Sunderland has managed to progress after that. Changing manager at Villa, will not make a difference this or next season. New manager, new ideas, new bomb squad. Same shit all over again. Keep Lambo!

My thoughts exactly.

Not seeing where this argument that there is some kind of long-term strategy in place or benefit to keeping Lambert that isn't there with Bruce or Pulis etc is coming from. He's done nothing to suggest to me that he's moving us forward and the clueless smash and grab football we are attempting to play doesn't fill me with any kind of confidence he even has the ability to move us forward, more money or not. You cant polish a turd as they say.

If I remember correctly, Bruce was fired by Sunderland because of a bad spell. I don't think Sunderland has managed to progress after that. Changing manager at Villa, will not make a difference this or next season. New manager, new ideas, new bomb squad. Same shit all over again. Keep Lambo!

He's our worst manager in the premier league era, theres absolutely no reason to keep him here. Why would he be rewarded for doing such a diabolical job because of what the next man may or may not do?

• Like 2

I agree this season that is the case, but the last few months of last season was the best football i saw Villa play for years and was really excited. Just dont know what happened this season. So id argue he knows how to play more than one way.

Even last season, it was just basic counter-attacking football though. The system hasn't changed.

My thoughts exactly.

Not seeing where this argument that there is some kind of long-term strategy in place or benefit to keeping Lambert that isn't there with Bruce or Pulis etc is coming from. He's done nothing to suggest to me that he's moving us forward and the clueless smash and grab football we are attempting to play doesn't fill me with any kind of confidence he even has the ability to move us forward, more money or not. You cant polish a turd as they say.

You not agree that we played good football end of last season? lerner needs to back him or sack him.

Even last season, it was just basic counter-attacking football though. The system hasn't changed.

I think it has, just hoof ball this season. Though in fairness, the last two games, Guzan has been playing it out from the back. This could be because we have got rid of the two clowns and cowans has changed it? Maybe even Lambert as he is more hands on at training now.

The lack of communication has made it very difficult to have any sympathy with any of the management at Villa Park.....Thats been a major disappointment for me and an indication of not knowing the answers.

Niall Quinn made a some good points on "Talk sport" this morning, saying how difficult it all is to balance the books and provide winning /entertaining football at the same time, I would agree, but surely hasn't that always been the case..... but to listen to Lambert you would think that we all have this inflated view of our expectations....not so....not by a long chalk.

With the exception of Martin O'Neill i don't know any of our previous managers who have been blessed with decent funds, they have all had to live off scraps and make sure that their buys have paid off.

Paul Lambert has not had an easy job, but neither did Graham Taylor MK1 or Brian Little or even Ron Saunders, blimey we missed out on Robbie Keane for a few grand and nearly missed out on Dean Saunders for a similar amount.

Its never been easy at Villa, but the ones that have done reasonably well .....have bought well( prudently)

I would guess a big part of Liverpools success has been signing Louis Suarez, despite them having some "name" managers over the years and achieving little.....and he cost as much as our Darren Bent in terms of transfer fee....thats part of the difference.....lack of talent spotting and player development.

If a bit more explanation along the way had of been forthcoming, it might of helped .....instead we just got the silent treatment.

what do they expect us to think?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Catching up on the posts it looks even the pro Lambert supporters can't explain where the good football has gone. Its not down to injuries, I have seen good passing football Arsenal esk, end of last season begining of this. I saw some great 1-2 passes that ended up in goals scored. I see no excuse after 2 seasons why this has not progressed into something better. The squad is capable. I'm actually begining to think they can't play counter attack hoofball, either that or they certainly don't enjoy playing this way.

wasn't even this season though was it?.....we have taken a good haul of points off the top teams.

we have just failed against the lesser teams....any signs of a bit of expectation or we fancy a win..... the players run for tin hats.

the attitude stinks.

Edited by TRO

wasn't even this season though was it?.....we have taken a good haul of points off the top teams.

we have just failed against the lesser teams....any signs of a bit of expectation or we fancy a win..... the players run for tin hats.

the attitude stinks.

Well that's alright for Saturday then, nobody expects us to win, so we're as good as safe!

the attitude stinks.

I think our club is unfortunately broken from top to bottom. Was just reading an article regarding the PR team sending that vassos boy on radio 2 a new kit because he said his support for Villa was wavering. Lwtf

Just a thought on the reason why we've gone from playing some good football at the tail end of last season back to the awful football played at the start of last season.

It wouldn't be anything to do with the reasons why two of our coaches are now on permanent gardening leave?

I think it has, just hoof ball this season. Though in fairness, the last two games, Guzan has been playing it out from the back. This could be because we have got rid of the two clowns and cowans has changed it? Maybe even Lambert as he is more hands on at training now.

We played hoofball last season when we were really struggling too. Like last season, we still generally play with men behind the ball, very narrow and with a midfield who are pretty superfluous. During the good run last season we had Benteke single-handedly holding the system together. This season he has had the injury problems and we can't really manage any sort of coherent attacking play without him. In other words, Lambert has inexplicably reduced us to an archetypal 'one-man team'.

• Like 1

Â