Paul Lambert

limpid

It would go against the grain for Lord Lucan to sack his managerial sock puppet at this stage. He'll be polluting this club for another 3 games and then he'll rightfully get the sack.

Makes no sense to sack Paul Lambert at this moment. It does make sense when the players stop playing for the manager, like with Moyes, but in our case it's just the fact that our players are too poor. They aren't refusing to play for Lambert, I think they actually respect him, but it's just that their combined ability is extremely low. The problem is of course Lambert in the end, it's him that assembled this squad with absolutely no firepower. Take away Benteke and we basically suck balls, one player can change everything - look at Newcastle without Cabaye. It was like this the last time around as well, without Benteke we would have relegated easily.

Benteke isn't the best player in the world and he doesn't create something out of nothing every game like Suarez or Ronaldo, but he does seem to get a chance every now and again and he's a very good striker. That's why I think he would be awesome somewhere else, I think he would thrive at Arsenal or even Everton under Martinez.

We talk about our inability to sign certain players and that we have to pay bits and pieces for unknown quantity. Noble prospect, but we could have just left them out entirely. Tonev has 599 minutes on the pitch, with zero goals and zero assists, even Brett Holman did better last season and would have done more of a difference this season. That speaks a lot, because Holman was utterly inept. Sylla has 552 minutes on the pitch, even less than he had in 12/13. Both of these players look like they haven't kicked a football in their entire life. Bowery? 69 minutes on the pitch and loaned out to Doncaster (where he according to Wikipedia has played 3 times), Helenius 51 minutes and never in contention (22 years old as well, it's not like he is 17 and an up an coming talent - two years older than Lukaku by the way), Bennett 243 minutes on the pitch, Luna 1381 minutes on the pitch before he was basically thrown out of the squad due to his lack of talent - and so on. Our recruitment the last two seasons has been below any standard, no matter what the budget was (40 Mill isn't that low either in my opinion). Our team consists of Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Gabby and Benteke, the rest wouldn't get into any team in the league

Sacking Lambert right now does not make any sense because another person wouldn't make any difference with just a couple of games remaining on the calendar. Grab a result against Hull and we are safe, we'll probably make it anyway. The summer is going to be interesting though. It's a strange situation with Lambert, I actually think he is a decent character and I don't hate him like I would with any other manager in this situation, but the results speak for themselves I'm afraid. It's not about looking up, it seems we are just trying to avoid relegation. Not much fun is it!

• Like 2

The worst bit from that piece was:

Last summer he spent £17m, which does not buy you much these days – certainly not the European place the supporters covet.

What a moron. To think he got paid to write such tripe.

So what's wrong with what he's written there then?

The whole piece makes it sound like we have unrealistic expectations and in that part again hints that we're angry because we're not in the European places.

I thought it was an awful article written by someone who doesn't like villa fans or for some reason has a soft spot for Lambert.

That article is one of the biggest crock of shite I have read for a long time. Who does he think Villa are-West Brom? If say Spurs were having 3 bad seasons in a row would they say there fans have unrealistic expectations? A load of rubbish and whatever way you see it Lambert has done a awful job in 2 seasons at Villa , spending nearly 40 million in making a team worse than after a season with McClueless. Lerner and his poor ownership is a different argument as well, but both are not good enough for the Villa.

For me, sacking him now and let Cowans do the remainder 3 games...surely he can't be any worse and the players may rise to the occasion for the Hull game and keep us safe. Then we can look forward to next season with a new Manager.

Not sacking Lambert right now means we may continue as we are and potentially keeping him next season.

• Like 2

The worst bit from that piece was:

Last summer he spent £17m, which does not buy you much these days – certainly not the European place the supporters covet.

What a moron. To think he got paid to write such tripe.

So what's wrong with what he's written there then?

I thought it was an awful article written by someone who doesn't like villa fans or for some reason has a soft spot for Lambert.

That may be true, but the quote there seems fair enough.  We DO covet European places.  I do.  Otherwise I'd be happy where we are, and I'm not.  And £17m doesn't get you anywhere near those places.  It doesn't usually even keep you in the league.

There may be other advantages too. Perhaps Sid would put Clark in for Baker and have Bowery nowhere near the bench. The players may have an issue with Lambert and a change might just give them a boost. Sid might have wanted to do things in training or implement match tactics that Lambert hasn't tried.

The fact is we're already losing miserably and not performing. If we sacked Lambert and the same happened under Sid then we haven't lost anything, but if we got rid now then there's a glimmer of hope, a chance that things might change for the better. They sure as hell aren't going to get much worse. 

The way I see it is: fire Lambert and create some hope that Sid might change it up, or keep Lambert and therefore ensure that we will keep playing the way we have been lately.

No-brainer for me.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

There may be other advantages too. Perhaps Sid would put Clark in for Baker and have Bowery nowhere near the bench. The players may have an issue with Lambert and a change might just give them a boost. Sid might have wanted to do things in training or implement match tactics that Lambert hasn't tried.

The fact is we're already losing miserably and not performing. If we sacked Lambert and the same happened under Sid then we haven't lost anything, but if got rid now the there's a glimmer of hope, a chance that things might change for the better. They sure as hell aren't going to get much worse.

The way I see it is: fire Lambert and create some hope that Sid might change it up, or keep Lambert and therefore ensure that we will keep playing the way we have been lately.

No-brainer for me.

Sid may bring back Nzobia too, we could do with the creativity.

The fact is we're already losing miserably and not performing. If we sacked Lambert and the same happened under Sid then we haven't lost anything, but if got rid now the there's a glimmer of hope, a chance that things might change for the better. They sure as hell aren't going to get much worse.

No-brainer for me.

I know we all love Sid but he ain't no Mr Myiagi! Edited by Amo69
  • Like 1

No-brainer for me.

Isn't he out for the season?

I think sacking him at this point will do more bad than good. Norwich tried the same with a key game and tough ones to follow and they've just got worse.

No-brainer for me.

I know we all love Sid but he ain't no Mr Myiagi!
Nzogbia is better than Tonev and gives us a different option. He also has experience of a relegation fight.

No-brainer for me.

Isn't he out for the season?

I think sacking him at this point will do more bad than good. Norwich tried the same with a key game and tough ones to follow and they've just got worse.

Thought he was back training, albeit with the bomb squad.

But like I said, how are things going to get much worse for us than five straight losses and poor performances? Yes, theoretically you might argue City might put six or seven past us, but that's a bit of a longshot. 

Lambert just hasn't changed anything. We've stagnated and gotten predictable, most of the fans know exactly what he's going to do before he does it and his decisions make little sense! He hasn't done anything in regards to improving us defensively. He hasn't stopped putting Bowery on and given some of the young lads a chance instead despite them fitting the 'young and hungry' dynamic more than most of the damn young players he's signed in the first place. He doesn't play Lowton at right-back for reasons unbeknownst to everyone. He has made stupid decision after stupid decision without mixing it up at all.

As far as I'm concerned, you know what you're going to get with him and that is dire football which ends up in a 99% certain loss. We might as well take a gamble for the last three games as no one expects us to win them anyway, especially the last two. Chances are our PL future rests in the hands of other teams.

Edited by Ginko

Yes, theoretically you might argue City might put six or seven past us, but that's a bit of a longshot. 

If Stoke and Swansea can put 4 past us, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see us concede 6 against City.

Edited by kurtsimonw

ITK - from my mother (of all people)

I rarely get ITK information, in fact I've only ever received one factoid and that wasn't even about the Villa.

My mum's colleague (a Walsall fan) drinks with Sid at a pub in Lichfield. He asked Sid what was going on down the Villa (in sort of a bantery/jokey way) and Sid told him that he's come into the first team and none of them are interested. He even said the words 'they've got their bags packed for their holidays already.'

Incredibly worrying. (if true)

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

Yes, theoretically you might argue City might put six or seven past us, but that's a bit of a longshot. 

If Stoke and Swansea can put 4 past us, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see us concede 6 against City.

Yes, and that was with Lambert in charge. My point was more that the chances our defensive woes would get any worse with Sid in charge is unlikely and therefore it is a risk I am willing to take.

I rarely get ITK information, in fact I've only ever received one factoid and that wasn't even about the Villa.

My mum's colleague (a Walsall fan) drinks with Sid at a pub in Lichfield. He asked Sid what was going on down the Villa (in sort of a bantery/jokey way) and Sid told him that he's come into the first team and none of them are interested. He even said the words 'they've got their bags packed for their holidays already.'

I think its more like - we are being taken over in the summer and a lot of them are just going to be cleared out (especially Lambert's duds), so where is the motivation for them any more.

Two thirds of our squad will struggle to play for a Prem team again. I wouldnt be surprised to see a load of them plodding around in the lower leagues in a few years. We are going to wonder what the hell was going on that they played for us.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

If true they should all be sacked. Just shows how far away footballers are from the real world

Â