Paul Lambert

limpid

Seems a bit extreme to say that anyone appointed by Lambert should go. I don't know who he's appointed besides Culverhouse and Karsa but any staff that he did appoint should be evaluated on a case by case basis instead of just chucking them all out for associating with Lambert - that would be such a petty approach.

A quick steal of wikipedia:

AVFC Coaching Staff

Paul Lambert

Gordon Cowans

Shay Given

Scott Marshall Lambert appointment from Norwich

Terry Gennoe Lambert appointment from Norwich

Michael Watts Lambert appointment from Norwich

Chris Lorkin Lambert appointment from Norwich

Roddy MacDonald  

Alan Smith  

Bryan Jones  

Steve Burns  

Tony McAndrew

Simone Farina Highly random decision - probably appointed by Paul Faulkner!!!

I expect all his main coaching staff will resign when he goes anyway. They all go way back with him - I think a couple actually were there with him from the start of his managerial career.

Terry Gennoe was brought in by McLeish I think.

Randy Lerner said already when he bought the club that he was going to sell it if he did not succeed in what he planned. Lerner did not succeed, and whats happening now needs no further explanation. Paul Lambert was employed under the following terms from Lerner: Over-paid players are going out, you will have build a team on minimal funds - and your job is to make this team survive in the Premier League. Lambert has nearly achieved this now. Away with wasteful wages, and in with mediocre footballers on a small wage. Aston Villa are now free from debt. That means, folks, that Randy Lerner has managed to make Villa more attractive to potential buyers. A potential buyer would now not sit with great difficulty to get rid of expenses - this job is already done. Lambert has done what he were asked to and Lerner has made the club in great stand in business terms, though it has costed us four utter boring years.

Bright future, UTV

You're forgetting one thing, we're not safe yet.

Randy Lerner said already when he bought the club that he was going to sell it if he did not succeed in what he planned. Lerner did not succeed, and whats happening now needs no further explanation. Paul Lambert was employed under the following terms from Lerner: Over-paid players are going out, you will have build a team on minimal funds - and your job is to make this team survive in the Premier League. Lambert has nearly achieved this now. Away with wasteful wages, and in with mediocre footballers on a small wage. Aston Villa are now free from debt. That means, folks, that Randy Lerner has managed to make Villa more attractive to potential buyers. A potential buyer would now not sit with great difficulty to get rid of expenses - this job is already done. Lambert has done what he were asked to and Lerner has made the club in great stand in business terms, though it has costed us four utter boring years.

Bright future, UTV

You're forgetting one thing, we're not safe yet.

Hence why he said 'nearly'.

• Like 1

I see a lot of people saying they would like Lambert to be given one more chance and given money to spend. Based on a few of his signings I can understand why people would say that but surely we risk the chance of another year of disruption if he is to be sacked half way through.

Surely it's better to have a fresh start.

Based on a few of his signings? Benteke and Guzan who doesn't really count have been good and Vlaar has been okay.

The rest are shit

Bentake was a superb signing. Vlaar was a very good signing. Okore could be a very good signing. Westwood, El Ahmadi and Bacuna look good value for money and are decent squad players.

Agree the rest are shit.

Seems a bit extreme to say that anyone appointed by Lambert should go. I don't know who he's appointed besides Culverhouse and Karsa but any staff that he did appoint should be evaluated on a case by case basis instead of just chucking them all out for associating with Lambert - that would be such a petty approach.

A quick steal of wikipedia:

AVFC Coaching Staff

Paul Lambert

Gordon Cowans

Shay Given

Scott Marshall Lambert appointment from Norwich

Terry Gennoe Lambert appointment from Norwich

Michael Watts Lambert appointment from Norwich

Chris Lorkin Lambert appointment from Norwich

Roddy MacDonald  

Alan Smith  

Bryan Jones  

Steve Burns  

Tony McAndrew

Simone Farina Highly random decision - probably appointed by Paul Faulkner!!!

I expect all his main coaching staff will resign when he goes anyway. They all go way back with him - I think a couple actually were there with him from the start of his managerial career.

Terry Gennoe was brought in by McLeish I think.

I'd clear the whole lot out personally

I see a lot of people saying they would like Lambert to be given one more chance and given money to spend. Based on a few of his signings I can understand why people would say that but surely we risk the chance of another year of disruption if he is to be sacked half way through.

Based on a few of his signings? Benteke and Guzan who doesn't really count have been good and Vlaar has been okay.

The rest are shit

Bentake was a superb signing. Vlaar was a very good signing. Okore could be a very good signing. Westwood, El Ahmadi and Bacuna look good value for money and are decent squad players.

Agree the rest are shit.

Westwood, bacuna and kea are bad players, but that's my opinion. As for okore, who knows as it's impossible to tell given how little I have seen of him. He only played about 100 mins. Lambert in the transfer market is overall pretty shit to be fair

• Like 1

The rest are shit

Agree the rest are shit.

Westwood, bacuna and kea are bad players, but that's my opinion. As for okore, who knows as it's impossible to tell given how little I have seen of him. He only played about 100 mins. Lambert in the transfer market is overall pretty shit to be fair

In my opinion his transfer activity is the only thing I can defend him for!

I think a certain David Moyes would beg to differ on Villa being the hardest job to figure out!

Yes but he has a reported 200m spend to look forward to, and brought in a creative player in Jan for nearly 30m. Lambert has made mistakes and should go, but any manager will struggle with the way the club is run.

Almost 40m

The rest are shit

Agree the rest are shit.

We don't know about kozak either to be fair

He's had £40m to spend. Whether you think that's enough is a matter of opinion. What isn't in doubt though, is that of that, the amounts spent on Bowery (£500K) Lowton (£3m), Sylla (£2m), Tonev (£2.5m), Bennett (£2.75m), Helenius (£1.2m) and Luna (£2m) has been largely wasted, as Lambert himself doesn't think they're good enough this season and they've all contributed next to nothing this season.

That's over a quarter of his funds pissed up the wall. Why spend nearly £6m on two players in Bennett and Luna who were no better than a player like Lichaj who we let go for nothing? Even with the much trumpeted "rebuilding the squad from scratch", it's hard not to think that 2 or 3 decent players, rather than all that dross would have been a much better idea. No point in buying cheap tat if they're not going to play. Add in the £7m on Kozak (who I'm not arguing is a bad player), and that's £20m that could and should have been spent much more wisely.

I agree with much of that assessment but would say that every manager will have signings that don't work as planned and shopping at the lower end of the wage range is far riskier than bringing in players who command big wages.

Lambert is not the best manager in the league and the hype he came with was silly but now the pendulum has swung too far the other way. He is not 'clueless' or 'terrible'. He's a decent young manager following the difficult remit given to him by the owner.

• Like 4

The rest are shit

Yes. The rest are shit. Not okay. Not mediocre. Not good squad players. They are not great, therefore they are shit.

Based on this reaction, I have to ask. How do you react to a yellow light?

• Like 2

He's had £40m to spend. Whether you think that's enough is a matter of opinion. What isn't in doubt though, is that of that, the amounts spent on Bowery (£500K) Lowton (£3m), Sylla (£2m), Tonev (£2.5m), Bennett (£2.75m), Helenius (£1.2m) and Luna (£2m) has been largely wasted, as Lambert himself doesn't think they're good enough this season and they've all contributed next to nothing this season.

That's over a quarter of his funds pissed up the wall. Why spend nearly £6m on two players in Bennett and Luna who were no better than a player like Lichaj who we let go for nothing? Even with the much trumpeted "rebuilding the squad from scratch", it's hard not to think that 2 or 3 decent players, rather than all that dross would have been a much better idea. No point in buying cheap tat if they're not going to play. Add in the £7m on Kozak (who I'm not arguing is a bad player), and that's £20m that could and should have been spent much more wisely.

I agree with much of that assessment but would say that every manager will have signings that don't work as planned and shopping at the lower end of the wage range is far riskier than bringing in players who command big wages.

Lambert is not the best manager in the league and the hype he came with was silly but now the pendulum has swung too far the other way. He is not 'clueless' or 'terrible'. He's a decent young manager following the difficult remit given to him by the owner.

Agree with this. I posted a list of fergies signings at united and 75% of his signings could be classed as poor. Lambert has signed a lot of platers in a short time with not much money. Sadly there will be poor players that won't work out but they'll get moved on, its what managers do.

Be gone with your reason, sensible observations are not welcome here.

Lambert is a witch he must be be tied to rocks and thrown in the sea, if he survives it proves he is a witch and so he must be burnt.

• Like 2

Love this quote from Lambo - 

"I'd still want to stay even if there was no money. It's taken knocks for too long now. But I still want to be the manager."

:wub:  He is one of us.

Of course he wants to stay. Given his diabolical record and brand of football who else is going to give him a premier league job??

He will have to go back to league 1 if we give him the bullet

• Like 1

The rest are shit

Yes. The rest are shit. Not okay. Not mediocre. Not good squad players. They are not great, therefore they are shit.

Based on this reaction, I have to ask. How do you react to a yellow light?

Is there another club in the premier league that would buy any of them?

No would be the answer to that and the reason it's a no is bloody obvious

• Like 1

Be gone with your reason, sensible observations are not welcome here.

Lambert is a witch he must be be tied to rocks and thrown in the sea, if he survives it proves he is a witch and so he must be burnt.[/quothe]

Was it reasoned and sensible when a few months ago anyone criticising Lambert were told they were wrong because of where we were in the league?

It's gone from he's clearly doing a good job and progressing to well he's doing OK and by the end of the season I'm not sure how his points total will be defended.

He won't have the best interests of Aston villa at heart going into the final games of the season. We are the worst positioned club going into the final games due to uncertainty about our future. Our staff will not be focused on Aston villa but where will they manage, play, coach next season. That's danger, other teams will be fighting for the club, we are now a group of individuals thinking about their own futures and the club itself will go down because of it

Fact is we were linked with very good players in the window, like Coutinho in PL's first January transfer window. Because of the constraints we couldnt afford the 8m fee Inter were asking at the time.

The fact Paul Lambert and his scouts persisted to buy Benteke, a young player who seemingly had potential to be a "good" player from Genk even though we had strikers at the club shows me that he has the ability to spot talent, so I'd be willing to see what he could do if he actually had the money......not just gambling on bargins from to come good.

• Like 2

Â